5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Half the volumn

Idiver

Reaction score
So, I have had several Jeep Grand Cherokees. The last one was an Overland with the upgraded stereo that had a reported 730watts of power. I purchased my new Ram Laramie that was ordered from the factory with “Premium stereo and 19 speakers”. I took delivery and did not even put it into drive before trying the sound system. Immediately, I told the salesman that it was not even half as loud as my Jeep. We put them side-by-side and proved the fact. He told me that it just needed to be registered and the sound system would kick in. Not believing this, I also brought out the Sales manager who brought his Big Horn next to mine with the standard sound system in it and we both found mine to be half as loud. I registered with all the possible XM and FCA site I could to make sure this was not the problem. My wife just bought a 2019 Cherokee with a system that is also twice as loud. I was asked to take this to service who looked the entire system over and said that the amplifier was working properly and would contact FCA for an update. After a few weeks, I was told that there would be an update within a month to fix this. (This can not be fixed with a software update as it must be a hardware problem??) I have been waiting for two months now and the service manager just says he has no updated news. I was given FCA’s number to attempt resolution but, they said they have no idea. I asked for the specs on the 12” system that is “Premium” but have not been able to obtain this from anyone. Still waiting and paying for this with out any idea if or when it will be rectified. FCA, not a great way to treat a customer who has purchased over 10 vehicles from you.

Phiefer

Reaction score
I believe a software fix COULD be a possible solution. Not saying it can't be hardware, but without knowing the exact cause of the problem, I would not rule out a SW fix.
I will be taking ownership of a new Limited soon and I will be expecting to have my 19 speaker system produce volume louder than I can comfortably listen to.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I have had several Jeep Grand Cherokees. The last one was an Overland with the upgraded stereo that had a reported 730watts of power. I purchased my new Ram Laramie that was ordered from the factory with “Premium stereo and 19 speakers”. I took delivery and did not even put it into drive before trying the sound system. Immediately, I told the salesman that it was not even half as loud as my Jeep. We put them side-by-side and proved the fact. He told me that it just needed to be registered and the sound system would kick in. Not believing this, I also brought out the Sales manager who brought his Big Horn next to mine with the standard sound system in it and we both found mine to be half as loud. I registered with all the possible XM and FCA site I could to make sure this was not the problem. My wife just bought a 2019 Cherokee with a system that is also twice as loud. I was asked to take this to service who looked the entire system over and said that the amplifier was working properly and would contact FCA for an update. After a few weeks, I was told that there would be an update within a month to fix this. (This can not be fixed with a software update as it must be a hardware problem??) I have been waiting for two months now and the service manager just says he has no updated news. I was given FCA’s number to attempt resolution but, they said they have no idea. I asked for the specs on the 12” system that is “Premium” but have not been able to obtain this from anyone. Still waiting and paying for this with out any idea if or when it will be rectified. FCA, not a great way to treat a customer who has purchased over 10 vehicles from you.

I'm not familiar with any Grand Cherokee sound system with 700~ watts of power. The Alpine system is around 500W, and the HK system is the same as the truck (in terms of speaker count & power). That being said, the HK system in the truck is not phenomenal, and the Jeep's is much better. My truck definitely gets loud enough to hurt your hearing if you turn it all the way up. If you're cranking the volume to max and it's not uncomfortable, I'd say you have a problem. XM does seem quieter than Bluetooth/USB though. I don't listen to XM anyway because the sound quality is crap.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score

Do you know if this is just SiriusXM? Have you tried listening to a CD to see if it is isolated to just SiriusXM? There has been a thread or two talking about how some of the different music/audio sources could be the culprit.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
I'm not the only one !!! Sweet !!! 19 limited 19 speakers here, all options Sirius, bluetooth , USB and even radio radio is up to 30 and not loud ... added to the list !!!

Idiver

Reaction score
I have tried the Apple Music, SiriusXM and a CD. None of these make a difference. I have called the dealership yet again with the same, “Wait for a software update” answer. I am making my 5th payment with no clear resolution in site. Everyone agrees it is not correct but I can not get a clear action plan. Would just like it to be correct so I can enjoy the whole truck. If I am told it needs a better amp, then I will purchase one and be done but, I need to know the current specs to know what the speakers can handle.

A10

Reaction score
I was told (by the dealer) that the HK system won't be as loud as the Alpine system because it is designed for quality and not loudness. I don't know if it's true of not, but kind of makes sense.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I was told (by the dealer) that the HK system won't be as loud as the Alpine system because it is designed for quality and not loudness. I don't know if it's true of not, but kind of makes sense.
Couldn't it be both? Feels like with 900 watts, and good speakers you could do that right?

Socks

Reaction score
Does it bother anyone else that the 19 speaker HK is only individual 11 speakers and 1 sub. 7 of those individual speakers are coaxial, so its counted as 14. Which is only 2 speakers more than the Alpine.

From FCA about HK:
  • Three 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the instrument panel
  • Two 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the front doors
  • Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors
  • Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors
  • Two 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the headliner
  • One 10-inch enclosed subwoofer behind the rear seat (passenger side)
  • One 12-channel boosted Class-D amplifier

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My alpine was loud and clear and bad ***! My HK sucks. I would had opted for the alpine had I known it was standard on the limited. I just didn’t do enough research. I’m going to look into getting the alpine amp and speakers and see if I can swap to those without much trouble.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
My alpine was loud and clear and bad ***! My HK sucks. I would had opted for the alpine had I known it was standard on the limited. I just didn’t do enough research. I’m going to look into getting the alpine amp and speakers and see if I can swap to those without much trouble.
Agree

Phiefer

Reaction score
I picked up my Limited with Hk 2 days ago and took a 200+ mile trip over last 2 days with wife listening to Sirius XM most of the way. Volume at 7 most of the way. I tried higher volume settings and no way could I go above 12 and have comfortable listening.
FM seemed about the same.
I used the Nav system and the voice commands were a little louder than radio, just the way I like it.
I tried a CD I recorded many years ago and it was about the same. I ran vol at 10 for the CD.
Bass was good. No distortion or rattle. I'm sure my son would consider the bass below standard, as he has an aftermarket amp and speaker system I helped him install that shakes the front dash so bad it sets a compass calibration error when he shows it off.
I know volume can be somewhat in the ears of the listener, but it 'sounds like' your system is defective.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up my Limited with Hk 2 days ago and took a 200+ mile trip over last 2 days with wife listening to Sirius XM most of the way. Volume at 7 most of the way. I tried higher volume settings and no way could I go above 12 and have comfortable listening.
FM seemed about the same.
I used the Nav system and the voice commands were a little louder than radio, just the way I like it.
I tried a CD I recorded many years ago and it was about the same. I ran vol at 10 for the CD.
Bass was good. No distortion or rattle. I'm sure my son would consider the bass below standard, as he has an aftermarket amp and speaker system I helped him install that shakes the front dash so bad it sets a compass calibration error when he shows it off.
I know volume can be somewhat in the ears of the listener, but it 'sounds like' your system is defective.

Volume at 7!?!? Bionic ears? I'm always at least in the mid 20s and max on Sirius doesn't blow me out of the truck.

Phiefer

Reaction score
Volume at 7!?!? Bionic ears? I'm always at least in the mid 20s and max on Sirius doesn't blow me out of the truck.
Something wrong with yours. Does your dealer have any more Hk systems in other new trucks you can compare with. You need to get them convinced the audio system needs fixing.
I did notice an audio setting named something like 'aux input offset' that may allow adding more gain or attenuation, but I never touched this adjustment and assumed it only affects devices connected by audio cable.
I don't recall reading your entire thread, but it might be interesting to compare manufacture dates and audio firmware revisions.
I hope to put a FCA WiTech on my vehicle next week and investigate a few things for another member, and I hope to list the firmware revs of all the controller on my truck. If I'm not mistaken, I think the audio amp is itself a controller that has it's own software revision.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Something wrong with yours. Does your dealer have any more Hk systems in other new trucks you can compare with. You need to get them convinced the audio system needs fixing.
I did notice an audio setting named something like 'aux input offset' that may allow adding more gain or attenuation, but I never touched this adjustment and assumed it only affects devices connected by audio cable.
I don't recall reading your entire thread, but it might be interesting to compare manufacture dates and audio firmware revisions.
I hope to put a FCA WiTech on my vehicle next week and investigate a few things for another member, and I hope to list the firmware revs of all the controller on my truck. If I'm not mistaken, I think the audio amp is itself a controller that has it's own software revision.

Let me know what you find out. This is a repacment radio due to the nav issue but the original one was the same loudness...and it seems like most people are complaining of the volume.

Phiefer

Reaction score
Let me know what you find out. This is a repacment radio due to the nav issue but the original one was the same loudness...and it seems like most people are complaining of the volume.
I will add additional information as I get it in a few days.
I was aware of the poor feedback others have given on the HK system, so I was careful to check mine out and I can say I'm very satisfied with both volume and bass. No rattle from bass as well.
Only have 250 miles on truck, but so far no issues; however I'm still looking it over. Very complex truck, so I've had a few user errors of my own.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
Yes
i compared like 5 they have there all sound the same. Except one that woofer was louder.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How could one choose which audio system you receive in the limited? I believe if you pick the level I equipment you get the “premium” sound meaning HK system- correct?

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
How could one choose which audio system you receive in the limited? I believe if you pick the level I equipment you get the “premium” sound meaning HK system- correct?
Well, in fact I was really happy with my 17 Laramie, but they decided to gave me the difference for the payoff as trade in (they gave me 37k for it) because I was about to file a lemon law case after 7 driveshaft replacement on a 20 month period. So I really didn’t built the truck, it was on the lot. Pretty much I gave them a list (sunroof, 4 corner air sunspension, ivory, indigo interior) and they found this 2 weeks after I requested. At that point i watch that beauty parked there and i just grabbed the key and here I am.

Phiefer

Reaction score
Yes

i compared like 5 they have there all sound the same. Except one that woofer was louder.
Wow. I don't know what to say. Seems like a manufacturing problem if all the early systems needed the volume cranked up to hear music.
I can tell you for a fact that not all HK systems are like that, so the good news should be knowing the issue is fixable. You just need to get your dealer service department to agree it is broke.
I'd start my having them put a new amp in and if same issue continues, I'd ohm out the speaker lines.

Users who are viewing this thread