5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hail damage

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Freak hail storm came through on Friday and nailed my truck. Hood and roof (no sunroof) are riddled. Lots of other dents as well. Bak flip cover dented to crap.

Claim filed and I'm waiting for adjuster. Anyone go through this? Wondering what to expect for damage total. Surely won't be enough to total it, right? 2019 Limited optioned out with only 36K miles. I've literally never had to go through insurance in my life.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, hail sucks, I doubt your truck will be totaled though. They may just replace the hood if it's bad enough along with the bed cover. The rest probably Paintless dent repair.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They might total that? It goes by if the damage is a certain % of the value! If it’s payed for and they don’t total it, you can take the check of whatever the damage is and just replace the hood if it bothers you and pocket the rest, if your planning on keeping it for 8-10 years, you won’t get hurt that bad. Or you can take all the money and fix it all? I’ve been through this a few times in Iowa. Maybe the laws are different in other states? Sorry about your damage and good luck with whatever they decide to do👍🏻

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They might total that? It goes by if the damage is a certain % of the value! If it’s payed for and they don’t total it, you can take the check of whatever the damage is and just replace the hood if it bothers you and pocket the rest, if your planning on keeping it for 8-10 years, you won’t get hurt that bad. Or you can take all the money and fix it all? I’ve been through this a few times in Iowa. Maybe the laws are different in other states? Sorry about your damage and good luck with whatever they decide to do👍🏻
Yeah I'm Iowa as well. Owe about 18K still and I planned on driving this for a long time. Guess nothing to do but wait for adjuster to look at it and go from there.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow that sucks. I had that happen with a new truck with only a few thousand miles on and my wife’s car got nailed twice in three years. Not much you can do except let your insurance handle it. My truck (a Chevy back then) got a new hood and the roof was repaired. Turned out fine. My wife’s car had paintless dent removal both times and it looked perfect after each repair.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that sucks. I had that happen with a new truck with only a few thousand miles on and my wife’s car got nailed twice in three years. Not much you can do except let your insurance handle it. My truck (a Chevy back then) got a new hood and the roof was repaired. Turned out fine. My wife’s car had paintless dent removal both times and it looked perfect after each repair.
Glad to hear this turned out well for you. Makes me feel a little better there's hope.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad to hear this turned out well for you. Makes me feel a little better there's hope.
PDR is actually pretty amazing. Her car looked like it was smacked with a ballpeen hammer about a hundred times last repair. Hail was golf ball size and slightly bigger. As long as the metal isn’t creased or paint isn’t cracked/damaged by very jagged hail it will come right out. I used a clay bar on her car a few weeks ago and honestly can’t tell where any of the dents were before. Completely gone and paint looks perfect.

bucolic

Reaction score
PDR is actually pretty amazing. Her car looked like it was smacked with a ballpeen hammer about a hundred times last repair. Hail was golf ball size and slightly bigger. As long as the metal isn’t creased or paint isn’t cracked/damaged by very jagged hail it will come right out. I used a clay bar on her car a few weeks ago and honestly can’t tell where any of the dents were before. Completely gone and paint looks perfect.
Yeah, it is amazing how you can't find the dents after PDR. Heck, anyone of our trucks could have had hail damage while on the lot and the dealer fixed it with PDR and we wouldn't even know. They are probably supposed to disclose it but who knows?

Jexx

Reaction score
I've had 3 hail damage claims on my previous truck when it was pretty new, and I think you would be hard pressed to have it totaled out.
My worst hail damage claim I got about $5500 and that included a broken 3rd brake light and windshield.
The other 2 were bad enough, but no broken glass and I got around $3500 for each of those.
This all happened within about 5-10 years ago, but maybe it gives you something to expect.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had 3 hail damage claims on my previous truck when it was pretty new, and I think you would be hard pressed to have it totaled out.
My worst hail damage claim I got about $5500 and that included a broken 3rd brake light and windshield.
The other 2 were bad enough, but no broken glass and I got around $3500 for each of those.
This all happened within about 5-10 years ago, but maybe it gives you something to expect.
Guess it depends on the damage, but everything has gone up, my dad had minor small hail on a Chevy impala A few months ago, no broken glass or plastics and it was $6500 in damage.

RC Turner

Reaction score
I bought a black car that had hail damage similar to the top of you truck. After paintless dent repair it looked perfect. The right guy can do wonders.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
I'm amazed by the PDR stories. OP, if you go this route post before/after pics.

I would have questions for the insurance company about how they're going to follow the "made whole" rule. What if the repair, amazing as it is, is still slightly noticeable?

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I haven't had to use PDR, but I know people that have and it is amazing what they can do. After a hail storm the local car dealers here setup tents just to fix the hail damage to their cars and anyone that wants to use their services.

Users who are viewing this thread