5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hail damage body shop recommendations in DFW

bibboboutkhil

Reaction score
Have hail damage from the recent hail storm and looking for suggestions for a good place to get the damages fixed. Hail dents all over and broken lights as well. 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I'm not in DFW so can't add any value here, but do you mind posting pictures, or is it too heart-breaking? Sounds gnarly.

BNeal

Reaction score
I used Huffines in Plano when my truck got hit. I highly recommend them - they went to bat for me with the insurance company regarding OEM parts when the insurance company tried to sneak in 3rd party garbage and door skin instead new door. I had some pretty major damage and they made it like new again. Killed it matching the tri-coat too.

Before:
1678371726146.png

After:
1678371845950.png

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
I used Huffines in Plano when my truck got hit. I highly recommend them - they went to bat for me with the insurance company regarding OEM parts when the insurance company tried to sneak in 3rd party garbage and door skin instead new door. I had some pretty major damage and they made it like new again. Killed it matching the tri-coat too.

Before:
View attachment 154125

After:
View attachment 154126
jeasus, the pic came up first of the damage and i was thinking this was his hail damage. i was like what the heck kind of hail was this. Then the rest loaded. lol they did a nice job.

mhendo

Reaction score

Before:
View attachment 154125

After:
View attachment 154126
Damn! How big is the hail down there?

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have hail damage from the recent hail storm and looking for suggestions for a good place to get the damages fixed. Hail dents all over and broken lights as well. 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
So sorry to hear. That is devastating.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
as an old retired appraiser, I want to see how diminished my skill are,lol...so I'm going to take a guess at what the final repair bill was on that hit....I say $14,680.....

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I used Huffines in Plano when my truck got hit. I highly recommend them - they went to bat for me with the insurance company regarding OEM parts when the insurance company tried to sneak in 3rd party garbage and door skin instead new door. I had some pretty major damage and they made it like new again.
What insurance company was it? I have never though any were even allowed to attempt to repair your vehicle to a different spec such as a door skin, or even aftermarket parts).

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What insurance company was it? I have never though any were even allowed to attempt to repair your vehicle to a different spec such as a door skin, or even aftermarket parts).

On 1 to 2 year old vehicles they are supposed to use OEM I believe. After 2 years old, they can use "alternatives" but you can still protest and request only OEM

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
On 1 to 2 year old vehicles they are supposed to use OEM I believe. After 2 years old, they can use "alternatives" but you can still protest and request only OEM
10 years in MA

This is for all the states from 2000 and on.
"An insurer shall not require the use of after market parts in the repair of an automobile unless the after market part is at least equal in kind and quality to the original part in terms of fit, quality and performance"

I wonder if some states are really bad when it comes to this and insurance companies try to commit fraud. Wouldn't surprise me.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Well what aftermarket part is going to claim they are not equal to OEM?

That statement is only for parts that advertise "Use our cheap junk parts. What we have in inferior quality we make up for in low price!".

Kind of open ended.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well what aftermarket part is going to claim they are not equal to OEM?

That statement is only for parts that advertise "Use our cheap junk parts. What we have in inferior quality we make up for in low price!".

Kind of open ended.
Replacing a dented door, with a skin is not the same as an OEM part.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Replacing a dented door, with a skin is not the same as an OEM part.
Not sure I follow. 4th gen rustomatic 1500s have skins sold by Mopar to patch up the rust. Newer 5th gen Mexican trucks are cheaper disposable aluminum parts, so you get the whole frame and skin for about $325.

I imagine shops get a discount over retail. So a "skin" isn't even an option for disposable trucks now.

The quote posted said insurers cannot require use of aftermarket unless it meets OEM standards. So the Chinese manufacturer that sells to Mopar in Mexico can also sell to Doorman or whoever and it is the same standard, then insurers can require it. At least just reading on the surface.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
10 years in MA

This is for all the states from 2000 and on.
"An insurer shall not require the use of after market parts in the repair of an automobile unless the after market part is at least equal in kind and quality to the original part in terms of fit, quality and performance"

I wonder if some states are really bad when it comes to this and insurance companies try to commit fraud. Wouldn't surprise me.
Hi there...I just retired 3 years ago from appraising for a major carrier based in Boston, had about 15 years in the field...the way it works in MA is, one year or 15,000 miles gets you OEM parts, after that, A/M is allowed as long as they are CAPA Certified. CAPA is a testing lab in D.C. that supposedly puts it's stamp of approval on some A/M parts that are of a certain quality...but it's kind of a joke, CAPA parts can be junk sometimes. But....the ins co's can put them on, it's all in your policy, under "cost containment law".... I'm in CO now, glad to be out of the hell MA is! lol

Users who are viewing this thread