5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had to get new underwear last night !!

Tundralag

Reaction score
On my way home from work last night, I was zipping along about 75ish in the left lane a couple of cars in the right lane and a older Ram with lift kit and small tires on the truck but had 4 brand new mud tires in the bed, the truck was about 60 yards or so in front of me, Just as the highway turns into a 3 lanes the Ram in front decides he is going to turn into the slow right lane, All of a sudden both front tires started this wobble looked like something broke on the front end.. the wheels looked like they were going to fall off guys steering wheel was going from 9-3 as he was trying to control this beast, front end was coming off the ground from the hopping.. The only thing I can compare this too is, the Vista Cruiser on the movie Vacation when he jumps the car and the mechanic puts on 4 bent rims and he drives away.. But this was 100 times more violent than that... I took a hard left turn into the far left lane and the break down area to avoid this guy.. Needless to say.. I was in dire need of some new short pants.. Its amazing on how fast things can go sideways.. fortunately no one was hurt and the dude was able to get the Ram to the edge of the road.. of course I watched that part on my passenger side mirror.

Tundralag

Reaction score
Sounds like the death wobble.
That's what I thought as well then I went home and watched some videos of death wobble and this was so much worse than anything I looked at.. I wish I had a dashcam to record that.. It was like both front tires only had one lug nut on them and they were moving that much.. If you take the tire and go from the ground to the top of the tire they were moving at least 8 inches each way, both front tires not just one... again I wish I could describe this better.. uncontrollable is the only description I can use..

Skud

Reaction score
Had the same experience one time travelling on the freeway. An older white RAM started the death wobble going 70+ mph. The whole front end was shaking like crazy and each tire was coming a good 4-6" off the ground. It left little skid marks going down the highway. Scary stuff - I slowed hard as he tried to pull off to the side.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my way home from work last night, I was zipping along about 75ish in the left lane a couple of cars in the right lane and a older Ram with lift kit and small tires on the truck but had 4 brand new mud tires in the bed, the truck was about 60 yards or so in front of me, Just as the highway turns into a 3 lanes the Ram in front decides he is going to turn into the slow right lane, All of a sudden both front tires started this wobble looked like something broke on the front end.. the wheels looked like they were going to fall off guys steering wheel was going from 9-3 as he was trying to control this beast, front end was coming off the ground from the hopping.. The only thing I can compare this too is, the Vista Cruiser on the movie Vacation when he jumps the car and the mechanic puts on 4 bent rims and he drives away.. But this was 100 times more violent than that... I took a hard left turn into the far left lane and the break down area to avoid this guy.. Needless to say.. I was in dire need of some new short pants.. Its amazing on how fast things can go sideways.. fortunately no one was hurt and the dude was able to get the Ram to the edge of the road.. of course I watched that part on my passenger side mirror.
Sounds more like a fresh lift kit install and someone didn't torque something down, or one of the front steering/suspension parts broke. Was it a IFS or a straight axle front end? Death wobble usually occurs on vehicles with a front straight axle.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Lifted Jeeps get thus death wobble. Usually a cheap lift, or worn out joints.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Lifted Jeeps get thus death wobble. Usually a cheap lift, or worn out joints.

Wranglers...I should say, not sure if other jeeps have it much.

Tom488

Reaction score
I've experienced death wobble before, and I agree that this sounds much worse. The front end hopping up indicates to me that he probably broke, or lost the connection to, one of his tie rod ends. The front end hopped as one tire flopped inwards, no longer connected to the rest of the steering.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you're ok, I just had a similar experience where a Jeep Liberty lost control on the highway in the lane to the right of me, and even though I tried to avoid it, she hit me in the front corner and then rear door.

Tundralag

Reaction score
Sounds more like a fresh lift kit install and someone didn't torque something down, or one of the front steering/suspension parts broke. Was it a IFS or a straight axle front end? Death wobble usually occurs on vehicles with a front straight axle.
That is what I was thinking as well, he had small stock tires on a 6 inch lifted 1500 with 4 brand new Meats in the back..
the only reason it didn't make sense to me as far as a new lift.. the truck was pretty much a POS looking Ram.. But who knows maybe some kid got his first stock truck and couldn't afford a newer model and decided to lift and fix it...
But again I am living in a place where guys buy 2 wheel drive trucks and put massive lift kits on them..

Users who are viewing this thread