5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had an oopsie. Dented rear bumper Need suggestions

ktl5005

Reaction score
Stupid me had my back up sensors off and turning around at my brother-in-law‘s house backed into one of his pine trees. UGH. As you can see in the picture dented the bumper pretty good and it also looks like to the left of the dent the bumper kicked up and out away from the truck and to the right of the dent maybe kicked in a little bit. Anybody have recommendations on how to get the dent out?

Attachments

• 3F426B24-5B85-4263-983D-2A284F4D4B76.jpeg
    3F426B24-5B85-4263-983D-2A284F4D4B76.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 131
  • EEEA6384-4E27-4897-A683-C42B0ED0013D.jpeg
    EEEA6384-4E27-4897-A683-C42B0ED0013D.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 131
  • ADDEA241-1B58-4C98-B932-471298EE937E.jpeg
    ADDEA241-1B58-4C98-B932-471298EE937E.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 85702037-944A-4A47-BF22-A96D0BB78FC3.jpeg
    85702037-944A-4A47-BF22-A96D0BB78FC3.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 130

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not know how much it would cost but I'm thinking a new factory chrome bumper would be the best way to make the truck look like new again. BTW, I'm somewhat familiar with Clarks Summit. I take exit 194 off of I-81 to reach the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike when I travel to visit my son and his family in Perkasie, PA.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd say you're looking at a new bumper there chief. It's amazing how easily these bumpers can be damaged. I dented the rear bumper on a 2015 I used to own by barely backing into a rock that was covered with snow. I really didn't even feel anything. They're about as tough as a beer can.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep you are going to have to replace the chrome part of the bumper at least. There is a lot of plastic behind it that may be cracked up too. I found a takeoff in pretty good condition near me

ktl5005

Reaction score
Yep you are going to have to replace the chrome part of the bumper at least. There is a lot of plastic behind it that may be cracked up too. I found a takeoff in pretty good condition near me
Yeah I just looked under and I did crack some of the plastic behind there too. This sucks

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Yeah I just looked under and I did crack some of the plastic behind there too. This sucks
Yeah I dented mine worse than you when i backed into a pole. Someone on here had the chrome bumper part only for sale that I think was in Arizona if I remember right

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep replace.. it’s just money stuff happens don’t stress over it. Check maybe car parts or Craigslist maybe you can find someone that pulled theirs off to upgrade for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These bumpers are paper thin compared to the bumpers from older trucks. I get why, but it’s annoying when stuff like this happens. Since it’s chrome, you would need to have the dent pulled as good as possible, imperfections silver soldered/ braized (or another means if some new method has come out), and bumper chrome dipped. After all that labor, you might as well just get a new bumper and some plastic pieces.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As every noted, yes bumpers seem to dent "easy" but we should all keep in mind that we're talking about a lot of force exerted on them when you back into a tree/pole.
These trucks weigh roughly 5000 lbs unloaded (or more depending on configuration). At a mere 5 mph we're talking about over 8,000 lbs of force applied to to the bumper if you're stopped over 6". If that tree/pole doesn't yield and you're stopped in less distance, that impact force is increased to more than 14,000 lbs.

The likelihood to cause a dent is obviously depends on the size of the impact area too, but clearly it was narrow tree. Spreading the force over the entire bumper like hitting a wall distributes that force (lower psi) so you may not get a dent, but focused in a small area (higher psi) will be more likely leave damage. It's like walking on thin ice versus laying flat on it so you don't go through.

Edit:
Reference formula for calculating the force of an impact: F=(1/2MV^2) / d

Last edited:

testcrewman

Reaction score
Had my truck for less than 2 week when my trailer decided to separate from the hitch. Thankfully I had the chains attached, but when I came to a stop, the trailer smacked the bumper. Claimed it on insurance, $1500 to repair. That's of course, to get it color matched. I think the cost of the bumper was close to $800. 20220401_153319.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
As every noted, yes bumpers seem to dent "easy" but we should all keep in mind that we're talking about a lot of force exerted on them when you back into a tree/pole.
These trucks weigh roughly 5000 lbs unloaded (or more depending on configuration). At a mere 5 mph we're talking about over 8,000 lbs of force applied to to the bumper if you're stopped over 6". If that tree/pole doesn't yield and you're stopped in less distance, that impact force is increased to more than 14,000 lbs or more.

The likelihood to cause a dent is obviously depends on the size of the impact area too, but clearly it was narrow tree. Spreading the force over the entire bumper like hitting a wall distributes that force (lower psi) so you may not get a dent, but focused in a small area (higher psi) will be more likely leave damage. It's like walking on thin ice versus laying flat on it so you don't go through.

Edit:
Reference formula for calculating the force of an impact: F=(1/2MV^2) / d
You're right. There is a lot of force involved. But these bumpers are definitely not as strong as they used to be. I grew up working on a farm, with several pickup trucks, mostly GMC and Chevy. I remember backing into all sorts of things when I was first driving (at age 13 LOL). I damaged combine headers, drills, fence posts, water troughs, barn doors, you name it. But there was rarely ever any damage to any of the bumpers on those trucks. If a modern truck was backed into the same things as those old trucks were, the bumper would have the texture of a golf ball, or worse.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Might be a long shot but you could always check some scrap yards to see if they have a Ram with front end damage that you could get everything from the rear .

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...but when I came to a stop, the trailer smacked the bumper. Claimed it on insurance, $1500 to repair.
OUCH!!! I'd be inclined to buy an aftermarket bumper for that price.

You're right. There is a lot of force involved. But these bumpers are definitely not as strong as they used to be. I grew up working on a farm, with several pickup trucks, mostly GMC and Chevy. I remember backing into all sorts of things when I was first driving (at age 13 LOL). I damaged combine headers, drills, fence posts, water troughs, barn doors, you name it. But there was rarely ever any damage to any of the bumpers on those trucks. If a modern truck was backed into the same things as those old trucks were, the bumper would have the texture of a golf ball, or worse.
LOL you're right. My old '85 S-10 bumped into plenty of stuff off-road with very little visible damage.
I'm sure the older trucks were made with thicker gauge steel all around which contributed to that strength. Of course it also added weigh which decreased fuel efficiency and that seems to be the main goal these days.
The SAE would also argue that the easier deformation reduces impact forces on the occupants in a crash because it increases the stopping distance and takes some of the force to deform the metal. I doubt it's enough to make a significant difference, and has nothing to do with safety though. I suspect it's because it's cheaper and helps them get better mileage.
You're absolutely right though, old trucks were tanks.

Jake103

Reaction score
I would look at an aftermarket offroad bumper, they are strong as hell. Have a buddy who has one on his 2020 definitely worth it. Better than the plastic/ sheet metal they put on them now

Users who are viewing this thread