5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H8 battery for 2021 1500 5.7 Hemi eTorque?

Rambilt

Reaction score
Anyone replaced their battery with H8 size instead of H7? If you do can you post a picture of it installed in your truck. I just want to see that it fits without any major modifications? thanks!

v/r

Rick

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A lot of people have. Like kdoublep said, remove the spacer. Parts department even sells a battery cover for the larger battery.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I replaced mine, I was in a hurry and they didn't have the H8. So my 2nd battery is still H7. :(

Jako

Reaction score
Anyone replaced their battery with H8 size instead of H7? If you do can you post a picture of it installed in your truck. I just want to see that it fits without any major modifications? thanks!

v/r

Rick
No modification other than removing clip and a battery blanket for the H8 battery.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, changed to the H8. Was easy as everyone else said

Rambilt

Reaction score

BowDown

Reaction score
BowDown, You provided exactly what I was asking. Thank you very much for the time you spent taking these pictures and attaching them for everybody to see. I bow to you sir.

v/r

Rick
Happy to help. If you have a Sams Club card, H8 AGM is $199 vs $250-290 everywhere else. Duracell is made by East Penn, one of the better manufacturers

jimk hunt

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the blanket? Tossed mine when I installed the new battery.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the blanket? Tossed mine when I installed the new battery.
If it's not for insulation purposes, I can;t think of the purpose. No vehicle I've ever owned has needed it, but then I've never lived anywhere that I needed a lock heater either.

23RAM

Reaction score
Lead-acid batteries of any kind have a high electron loss, meaning they naturally dissipate their charge just sitting idle. Cold weather increases the discharge rate to the point where if you live in the northern US or Canada your battery can fade in 2-3 weeks without a charger. The blanket helps to insulate the battery from the extreme cold and lead-acid batteries are naturally "warm" due to their electrolyte-chemical reaction. If you live in a warm climate, great, you don't need the blanket. But about 30% of the US needs the blanket if they don't start and drive their truck almost every day.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Happy to help. If you have a Sams Club card, H8 AGM is $199 vs $250-290 everywhere else. Duracell is made by East Penn, one of the better manufacturers
My H8 AGM was 170 with a 15 core fee so 185 if you didn’t take a battery back at Costco as another option. They have interstate batteries.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question ... how long can you keep a new battery on the shelf?

When I go to Walmart, Costco, or Sams, I often check if they have H8 AGM in stock. Sometimes they do, and then they run out. Can I buy one now when I see it in stock and keep it until I need it?

H7 is easy enough to find. But that elusive H8 AGM is a crap shoot at the stores. I'm worried that I can't find it stock when my stock oem battery craps out.

Also, you can get the H8 battery blanket from eBay: 5033397AE for sale | eBay

BowDown

Reaction score
My H8 AGM was 170 with a 15 core fee so 185 if you didn’t take a battery back at Costco as another option. They have interstate batteries.

Mine was the same when I bought it but when I checked before making that comment I saw that they'd increased in price to $199.
Outside of Costco or Sam's, it's almost $300, I initially went to O'Reilly's to get their AGM battery, it was $285 ish. I had buyers remorse as I drove away and did a quick search and found both Sam's and Costco had H8 agms for under 200 but I'm not a fan of interstate so I went Duracell which is east penn.

BowDown

Reaction score

When I go to Walmart, Costco, or Sams, I often check if they have H8 AGM in stock. Sometimes they do, and then they run out. Can I buy one now when I see it in stock and keep it until I need it?

H7 is easy enough to find. But that elusive H8 AGM is a crap shoot at the stores. I'm worried that I can't find it stock when my stock oem battery craps out.

The ones at Sam's have a manufacturing date sticker on them. I dug through the rack till I found one that was the current month; of course it was at the back of the rack

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

Without a battery maintainer on the stored battery, six months would be about the limit, I think. I know Interstate checks dates and rotates stock at their independent retailers.

Why wait? If you're going to buy a battery in advance, why not install it then? What happens if you tie up $2-300 and your battery decides to enter another dimension when you're a hundred miles from home? That H8 at home on the shelf isn't going to help you any.

I didn't wait for grief. I replaced my battery at 3 years. Maybe I threw away a year's worth of battery, maybe not. But it is worth it for peace of mind. There's too much electrical stuff in these trucks to risk it.

Users who are viewing this thread