5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guitar folks, I have a question

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My son just picked up a jackson electric guitar, amp, and a Mooer GE100 processor pedal.

It's a nice starter set. I am trying to connect the pedal to his PC to record tracks, but I can't get it to work. It's connected like this:

Pedal output<----1/4 to 1/8 inch wire----->PC line input.

Pc has a realtek sound card. However, it never detects the input.

Any done this before?

Thanks.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son just picked up a jackson electric guitar, amp, and a Mooer GE100 processor pedal.

It's a nice starter set. I am trying to connect the pedal to his PC to record tracks, but I can't get it to work. It's connected like this:

Pedal output<----1/4 to 1/8 inch wire----->PC line input.

Pc has a realtek sound card. However, it never detects the input.

This is actually a PC question, and probably off-topic for this forum, but it's in my wheelhouse so I'll take a little swat at it, but there are a lot of possibilities.

Knowing very little about your particular PC, anything built in the last few years should detect that something has been plugged into a sound input. If it doesn't, there may be a hardware problem like bad switch contact or poorly fitting plug. Or you could have the wrong driver package installed, or none (software problem) and it doesn't know how to handle the input. Or it could be recognized and working fine, but has some other input set as default (user problem).

Someone will need to dig down into the sound card settings and find out if the port is available and selected, and/or possibly correct one or more of the above scenarios.

I know that's a lot of generalizing. They can be fiddly things. On a good day, you just plug things in and they work, right? And then there's today...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is actually a PC question, and probably off-topic for this forum, but it's in my wheelhouse so I'll take a little swat at it, but there are a lot of possibilities.

Knowing very little about your particular PC, anything built in the last few years should detect that something has been plugged into a sound input. If it doesn't, there may be a hardware problem like bad switch contact or poorly fitting plug. Or you could have the wrong driver package installed, or none (software problem) and it doesn't know how to handle the input. Or it could be recognized and working fine, but has some other input set as default (user problem).

Someone will need to dig down into the sound card settings and find out if the port is available and selected, and/or possibly correct one or more of the above scenarios.

I know that's a lot of generalizing. They can be fiddly things. On a good day, you just plug things in and they work, right? And then there's today...
i get ya. i guess it could be quite a few things. I will try it on my laptop to see if theres any difference there. If not we will try one of these:

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also fun fact for the future. You can use a speaker as a microphone.

If you plug a speaker into the input on a computer and yell into the speaker it will register (although very poorly) as input.

The input jack you were looking at was likely a multi-jack designed for headphones that handles input and output, would have 3 rings (if stereo, else 2?) if I recall vs just an input which would be 1 rings.

The nice thing about the audio jack to usb, is that works as a soundcard. So if it works on 1 computer, it will work on any.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you happen to have a home theater (A/V receiver), you’ll find a mic jack there as well. Modern receivers are typically networkable, such that you can access them via apps and/or your local PCs. So you can wake up the neighbors on your surround sound system while (potentially) recording via your home network :)

Users who are viewing this thread