5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess I never made an intro/ Rear turbo Ram

KPeak

Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m not necessarily new here but never realized I didn’t make an intro thread. I’ve got a 2020 1500 etorque with about 98k miles, picked it up January 2020 around 33k. I’m just completing a rear turbo setup that I’m pretty content with so far. I never intended to do it but was so disappointed with the performance in stock form that something had to be done. I initially wanted a pro charger setup but there was no pro charger dealer near me that wanted to charge me a fair price for ordering the kit. I wasn’t going to pay the mark up they were all asking so I said F it and started building a turbo kit. I already purchased some Stainless Works long tubes and was not about to just ditch them because I’m no longer going with a pro charger so I decided to mount the turbo under the back of the cab.

The kit now that I m done figuring out all the challenges isn’t actually that hard to do, but to my knowledge there isn’t another rear turbo 5th gen around to get guidance from.

For work I only see paved roads and a ton of miles with very rare towing, so bigger tires/ lift etc is not the route I’m going with here. I’ve got a few more build phases to get through before stopping including building the motor, aftermarket air ride, installing my wide body kit, and getting a killer wheel setup. I’m sure it sounds crazy for a bunch of truck owners but I’ve been an import tuner for a long time so I can’t help trying to make such a nice looking truck even meaner. Thanks for checking the truck out, and if I can help shed some light on this project for anyone who’s interested just let me know.

Currently the motor is stock, I’ve got FIC 775cc injectors, SW 1 7/8 long tube headers, snow performance stage 2.5 water/ methanol kit, Comp CTR 3993 68mm air cooled turbo, Tial 50mm BOV, and a VS Racing 60mm WG. The truck made decent numbers at 484whp/ 556wtq on just 6.5psi. I’m trying to get it to 8psi but my wastegate is too big and the location is making the exhaust gas hit the valve seat directly which pushes the gate open before 8psi. I’m going to get rid of the single 60mm and go with dual 44mm’s that are offset a bit more.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m not necessarily new here but never realized I didn’t make an intro thread. I’ve got a 2020 1500 etorque with about 98k miles, picked it up January 2020 around 33k. I’m just completing a rear turbo setup that I’m pretty content with so far. I never intended to do it but was so disappointed with the performance in stock form that something had to be done. I initially wanted a pro charger setup but there was no pro charger dealer near me that wanted to charge me a fair price for ordering the kit. I wasn’t going to pay the mark up they were all asking so I said F it and started building a turbo kit. I already purchased some Stainless Works long tubes and was not about to just ditch them because I’m no longer going with a pro charger so I decided to mount the turbo under the back of the cab.

The kit now that I m done figuring out all the challenges isn’t actually that hard to do, but to my knowledge there isn’t another rear turbo 5th gen around to get guidance from.

For work I only see paved roads and a ton of miles with very rare towing, so bigger tires/ lift etc is not the route I’m going with here. I’ve got a few more build phases to get through before stopping including building the motor, aftermarket air ride, installing my wide body kit, and getting a killer wheel setup. I’m sure it sounds crazy for a bunch of truck owners but I’ve been an import tuner for a long time so I can’t help trying to make such a nice looking truck even meaner. Thanks for checking the truck out, and if I can help shed some light on this project for anyone who’s interested just let me know.

Currently the motor is stock, I’ve got FIC 775cc injectors, SW 1 7/8 long tube headers, snow performance stage 2.5 water/ methanol kit, Comp CTR 3993 68mm air cooled turbo, Tial 50mm BOV, and a VS Racing 60mm WG. The truck made decent numbers at 484whp/ 556wtq on just 6.5psi. I’m trying to get it to 8psi but my wastegate is too big and the location is making the exhaust gas hit the valve seat directly which pushes the gate open before 8psi. I’m going to get rid of the single 60mm and go with dual 44mm’s that are offset a bit more.
That must be an expensive kit. How do you get the truck’s software to accept the changes? Is that an intercooler below the front grill.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that’s damn cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome ride! Looking forward to following along with this build!
Out of curiosity, what kind of power numbers did you make in stock form before adding the go fast goodies?

KPeak

Reaction score
That must be an expensive kit. How do you get the truck’s software to accept the changes? Is that an intercooler below the front grill.

I’ve tried to keep it comparable with the pro charger kit which is around 7k. I bought the turbo during Black Friday last year and saved a ton of money on that. For the intercooler piping I ordered straight pipethrough metal supermarkets, then I cut and used a bead roller to make the sections of pipe. The intercooler was used and I cleaned it up before mounting behind the lower “false grill”. I used a Dremel to remove the insides and make the grill functional. For the PCM it had to be removed and sent to HP Tuners to be unlocked. Without doing that you aren’t able to tune the motor.

Awesome ride! Looking forward to following along with this build!
Out of curiosity, what kind of power numbers did you make in stock form before adding the go fast goodies?

I didn’t measure a baseline number with the factory tune. From research it looks like the stock 5.7 puts down around 330-340whp on these trucks. Pro charger claims their kit adds 150 crank hp at 7 psi. I’m pretty much at that point with the same psi but that power is at the wheel. Hopefully when I get twin waste gates set up and tuned at 8psi I can be deep into the 500’s to the wheel.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve tried to keep it comparable with the pro charger kit which is around 7k. I bought the turbo during Black Friday last year and saved a ton of money on that. For the intercooler piping I ordered straight pipethrough metal supermarkets, then I cut and used a bead roller to make the sections of pipe. The intercooler was used and I cleaned it up before mounting behind the lower “false grill”. I used a Dremel to remove the insides and make the grill functional. For the PCM it had to be removed and sent to HP Tuners to be unlocked. Without doing that you aren’t able to tune the motor.

I didn’t measure a baseline number with the factory tune. From research it looks like the stock 5.7 puts down around 330-340whp on these trucks. Pro charger claims their kit adds 150 crank hp at 7 psi. I’m pretty much at that point with the same psi but that power is at the wheel. Hopefully when I get twin waste gates set up and tuned at 8psi I can be deep into the 500’s to the wheel.
With that extra HP and torque, I bet the mpg will suffer significantly.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hell. Yes. Brother.

Are you tuning it yourself?

With the meth are you tuning it to be dependent on the meth at all times, or just running it for the cooling benefits?

Also how’s the lag? Was always curious to try the STS rear mount turbos.

This is a s wicked and I’ll be following everything. Good luck!

KPeak

Reaction score
With that extra HP and torque, I bet the mpg will suffer significantly.

Yep, I knew that going in. Considering Ram claims like 22-24ish mpgs the best I ever got was in the 18’s when the truck was stock, I’m happy with the trade off.

Hell. Yes. Brother.

Are you tuning it yourself?

With the meth are you tuning it to be dependent on the meth at all times, or just running it for the cooling benefits?

Also how’s the lag? Was always curious to try the STS rear mount turbos.

This is a s wicked and I’ll be following everything. Good luck!
No not tuning it myself, I can do a lot but not wanting to mess that up. I had a local performance shop tune it. As of the meth setup yes I got it because I know how important it is to keep the cylinder temps down with these stock cast aluminum pistons. It’s more of a peace of mind thing. Right now the meth is deactivated until I can rework the gate setup and get consistent boost. After that then I will be dependent on that when driving. I fitted their 2.5 gallon tank where the factory air box is so that should last quite a bit.

The lag really isn’t bad at all, I went with Comp’s higher end turbo that runs triple ceramic ball bearings and a smaller compressor wheel to help with that. At the end of the day I’m not building a no compromise race truck. I’ll gladly take some mpg hits and some small lag. The truck is still crazy heavy so it’s not like I’d win against any real sports cars. It’s more for enjoying the boost getting on the highway, or small quick rips here and there. Raptors are everywhere around Atlanta so it never gets old murking those guys lol

If you’re thinking about doing a rear setup, honestly it’s not as bad or difficult to take on, not compared to flipping headers and figuring out how to stuff all of it under the engine bay. Having so much piping keeps the IAT’s practically at ambient temps even under boost. On the Dyno the IAT’s only crept up like 6 degrees after multiple runs, and that was without the methanol. Once that is in the mix then that air charge is going to be ice cold.

79DB151B-F332-429F-B3FB-99A0E0E92F36.jpeg 87C0A39F-8674-4DE8-BDD1-925B25FCF4A8.jpeg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is incredible! Thanks for posting. It reminds me of the STS kits I used to drool over for the vette.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that is sweet!! I think there are lots of us on here who would like to see a build thread on this!

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey! Finally saw this! I remember hitting you up on Instagram about posting it. Really excited to see the progression and hopefully try to follow suit.

Chan_man808

Reaction score
Very cool! The comp oil less turbos are bad ***, so am I reading this right it says air cooled? So no oil and or coolant?

Mpg should only suffer when you are in it, and I’m sure I’d always be in it 😂

Users who are viewing this thread