5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grippy cup holders making me spill my ice cream EVERYWHERE! (there is a question here too)

Snotadoodge

Reaction score
About 2 months into my new 1500 limited. Love it, except for the Mother Trucking cup holders.

Imagine a beautiful ice cream mixed with the finest Reese's peanut butter cups God ever made. It is over the top of the container, but not to worry, as it has a dome lid.

Slide it in my cup holder and drove home to enjoy my treat.

In the driveway and attempt to pull it out and the cup holder grips the sides and the damn dome lid pops off spreading melted ice cream everywhere! I put the lid back on and grip from another side and now the lid REALLY comes off and a wave of surgery treat is all over the cup holder.

Moments later, the ice cream treat has been thrown far into the road and a slew of expletives used in cleaning out my truck (of course, the wife is now mad at me, to add insult to my deep injuries).

Question: is there a way to remove the grips in the cup holders? I would prefer my drinks/treats are able to jostle around a bit vs feeling like I am arm wrestling to get my stuff out.

(just in case someone is about to flame me for it, I did pick up the cup pieces and dome lid from the street. Now focus on enjoying my misery and helping me solve this issue)

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
About 2 months into my new 1500 limited. Love it, except for the Mother Trucking cup holders.

Imagine a beautiful ice cream mixed with the finest Reese's peanut butter cups God ever made. It is over the top of the container, but not to worry, as it has a dome lid.

In the driveway and attempt to pull it out and the cup holder grips the sides and the damn dome lid pops off spreading melted ice cream everywhere! I put the lid back on and grip from another side and now the lid REALLY comes off and a wave of surgery treat is all over the cup holder.

Moments later, the ice cream treat has been thrown far into the road and a slew of expletives used in cleaning out my truck (of course, the wife is now mad at me, to add insult to my deep injuries).

Question: is there a way to remove the grips in the cup holders? I would prefer my drinks/treats are able to jostle around a bit vs feeling like I am arm wrestling to get my stuff out.

(just in case someone is about to flame me for it, I did pick up the cup pieces and dome lid from the street. Now focus on enjoying my misery and helping me solve this issue)
i better not

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a real cool story that needs more dragons ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cajun_

Reaction score

use a rubber trim conditioner to remove some of the grumpiness by slicking it up.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score

Once they get used a bit they'll lose a lot of that "stickiness" pretty quickly. But a bit of silicone based interior/dash cleaner will definitely do the slip treatment for sure.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is a 100% fool proof solution. Stop eating in your truck. It's free and requires zero modifications to your truck. 🙄
I get nervous drinking water in my truck. Even takeout gets a trip in the bed on the way home. I spilled milk all over a car seat 25 some odd years ago and I was cured, as was the un-movable stench in my car

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get nervous drinking water in my truck. Even takeout gets a trip in the bed on the way home. I spilled milk all over a car seat 25 some odd years ago and I was cured, as was the un-movable stench in my car

My daughter spilled a whole bottle of water on her passenger seat in her Hyundai, and shorted out the seat heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I was deep into bodybuilding, I would chug a quart of milk on my way to work out and take animal pack pills while I was drinking milk. A choked on a pill and shot milk all over the inside of the windshield. A large portion of the milk went down behind the dash. It happened in the middle of August, and the smell seared into my mind forever.

I think the lesson here is that we all should eat our ice cream before it melts.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I put things like this in the foam cup holder in the door. As long as it has a lid it'll be fine there. Use the one on the passenger side if you're worried about kicking it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, this has nothing to do with ice cream, but as long as we're talking about it...

Back when I was in the Navy I was sent to Norfolk Naval for a school. One day I woke up sick as hell and used the barracks phone to call down to the school that I was too sick to come in. The Chief Petty Officer that ran the school was a real hardass & *******. He gets in his brand-new car and drives down to the barracks and beats on my door (we were in 2-man barrack dorms). I open the door and he says "Let's go to school Martin, you don't look sick to me". Oh-Kay Chief. I get dressed and we get in his car in the parking lot. He's giving me a lecture about laying out and I say "Man, I don't feel so good".

HURL. 🤮🤮🤮 wave after wave of projectile vomit hits the windshield and runs behind the dash and straight into the defroster vents of his brand-new 80's Acura :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He's screaming bloody murder and ends up driving me straight to sick bay instead of the school. I was told sometime after I had graduated the school that he had to trade in the car because even though he had the entire dash and heating system taken out and redone whenever it got hot the car reeked of puke :ROFLMAO:. That's one of those Kosmic Karma things that just works out great in the end :)

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Order the small but ask them to put it in the medium cup.

Same for medium size but have them put it in the large cup.

Majortom

Reaction score
This is a 100% fool proof solution. Stop eating in your truck. It's free and requires zero modifications to your truck. 🙄
I missed the part where he was actually eating in the truck. Or are you saying never put a food or beverage product in your truck regardless of how it’s packaged?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I missed the part where he was actually eating in the truck. Or are you saying never put a food or beverage product in your truck regardless of how it’s packaged?
I was being sarcastic. Note the emoji. I thought it was pretty silly for someone to modify their cupholder because they spilled their ice cream. Yes, I missed the part where he was just transporting his ice cream.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I was deep into bodybuilding, I would chug a quart of milk on my way to work out and take animal pack pills while I was drinking milk. A choked on a pill and shot milk all over the inside of the windshield. A large portion of the milk went down behind the dash. It happened in the middle of August, and the smell seared into my mind forever.

I think the lesson here is that we all should eat our ice cream before it melts.
This reminds me of a movie line from Tommy Boy (regarding melted chocolate behind the dashboard and its impact on resale value) ;)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Put it between your legs instead.😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online