5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grill Plasti Dipping

Bellpa

Reaction score
I’m looking to plasti dip part of my chrome grill... the two bars above and three bars below the RAM emblem. Does anyone know if I can pop these chrome covers off without disassembling the whole grill off the truck? Option B is to mask off in between and spray on the truck. Anyone else do this? Looking for some contrast versus all chrome. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D116DA67-666B-4142-9A44-EB1641522777.jpeg
    D116DA67-666B-4142-9A44-EB1641522777.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 65

aametzger

Reaction score
I’m looking to plasti dip part of my chrome grill... the two bars above and three bars below the RAM emblem. Does anyone know if I can pop these chrome covers off without disassembling the whole grill off the truck? Option B is to mask off in between and spray on the truck. Anyone else do this? Looking for some contrast versus all chrome. Thanks in advance.

I do not know if the pop-off (i don't have that same grille) but I did something similar on my 4thgen ram, but used vinyl. I just bought some flat black vinyl from Autozone, and completed it in under an hour, with no real prep needed. It didn't look perfect but you could only see it if you looked real close. I even considered using electrical tape but knew it would get kinda gooey after getting hot so I opted for the vinyl.
I am attaching some before and after pics

Attachments

• IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 60

Bellpa

Reaction score
I tried vinyl wrapping them yesterday also, but because of the center indent on the bars the wrap was tough to work and ended up ripping on me when I heated it to work it some. With that being said, it was my first attempt at wrapping anything.

aametzger

Reaction score
I tried vinyl wrapping them yesterday also, but because of the center indent on the bars the wrap was tough to work and ended up ripping on me when I heated it to work it some. With that being said, it was my first attempt at wrapping anything.
Yea I was new to it also and that is the reason mine didn't turn out great. Depending on how particular you are, you could try putting a seam or 2 in that area. From a few feet away you will likely not be able to notice. There are definitely a lot more curvatures in the 5th gen grilles compared to the 4th gen. I know on my limited 5th gen my vinyl guy tried to wrap the chrome strips in my grille and couldn't get it to look good so bailed on it and I ended up getting it painted. One thing I found helpful when vinyl wrapping my 4th gen was to do it right after driving when the grille was warm from the engine. It allowed for a little stretch without directly heating up the vinyl. Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread