5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from West Texas

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Hello All! I just traded in my 2012 Lonestar RWD for a 2021 Longhorn Limited 4x4, and had to do the 'DFW 500' to get it (the RAM stealership here in San Angelo absolutely sucks - there's a reason I've called them 'The Awfulplex' since the '90s). I'd been looking for intel on the pending Ram Dakotas rumored to be coming out in the next few years, thinking I'd be down for one of those as a 'retirement' truck, having just another 6.5 years to go and would be making my last payment right about that time, when a '21 Bighorn Black Widow popped up at The Awfulplex, listed for $59.5K. Yeah - that was a cool truck, so I developed a crush on it and went to see it earlier last week... WOW - it was incredible! A couple of things that were in the back of my head: 1. My wife is 5'2", so getting into a lifted-on-35s RAM will be an even bigger challenge for her than it was with my RWD Lonestar, and 2. Having to climb up into it would be new for me, being 6'5" I slide right into the seat... but with the Black Widow I needed to use the steps, didn't know where to put my feet, and my knees were like, "Really?! You want to do this every day?!" Thinking I could eventually get by with that, I was not seriously deterred. Then I asked the sales rep, "OK, so why are you getting rid of this awesome truck for only $60K?" He said, "Oh no - it's listed at $85K." WTF?! Yeah... I'm not THAT in love with it, so we were done at that point... but Man, that was a cool truck!

Well - I still had 'new truck-itis,' so I started looking around at new ones, thinking that I could get the same truck they sent off to SCA Performance and add-on the cool things about the Black Widow truck that I liked over the next few years. I found one in Weatherford, but when I got home my wife had picked out one that was even nicer - she liked the wheels better, even though it was a little more expensive. Hey - SCORE! So, now I have my 2021 1500 Longhorn Limited 4x4. Then I had to do the 'DFW 500' (drove from San Angelo to Lewisville, signed papers, took possession, then drove back home... same day).

So far, so good. I'm loving the new truck, except for the stereo. Yes, it has the UConnect 12-inch w/Harmon-Kardon speaker package, but the bass is pretty 'meh.' I had an aftermarket JVC AM/FM/CD/USB/BT w/back-up camera pushing Infinity Kappas and an MTX Thunderform 400w w/2 MTX Terminator subs - that thing cranked, and I had to periodically tighten a few things in the cab... I miss having the bass I can feel. The new system does a vastly superior job at regulating and equalizing the MP3s than the JVC unit did - so, it's something of a trade-off (to the good), but I think I might need to add a gain-controlled 8" sub in the future, just to get me back close to what I had. Oddly enough, my three favorite things about this truck compared to my 2012 is having a proper volume knob again, the folding mirrors, and the projector headlights (WAY better than even G.E. Silver Stars).

I'm still a fan of forums, being a member of several since I'm also a car guy. I'm non-denominational when it comes to cars, and I have all of the Big-4 represented in my fleet. 2021 Ram (of course), her 2015 Camaro RS, a 1980 CJ-7 on 33" Swampers (I'm swapping in an AMC 304 & automatic to replace its 258 I6 & 4-sp), and a 1971 Mach 1 I resurrected from the dead (it was a pile of rust in the shape of a Mustang when I got it). No kids... getting older, so I have a few toys. My wife said I'm done with full-size car projects (since we have no more room to park 'em), so I've started building models again. I also do websites as a hobby, build custom computers, race nitro R/C cars, and play low brass in our local Community Band. I've been affiliated with the Air Force since 1986 - 10 years Active Duty, Contractor for 11 years, and Civil Service since 2007 - IT Security Manager is my current job.

Meet 'Clifford (The Big Red Dodge).' My wife named him... seemed appropriate.

cu-7.jpg

Looking forward to meeting everybody, checking out all the cool 5th Gens, and learning more about mine.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice to see another San Angeloan. I grew up there, moved away in the early 90’s. But somehow my accent still screams “West Texas”.

Congrats and welcome.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Nice to see another San Angeloan. I grew up there, moved away in the early 90’s. But somehow my accent still screams “West Texas”.

Congrats and welcome.
Thanks!

Oddly enough, I arrived here in Jan '91 on the Air Force plan, met my wife (also AF), and have been here ever since. If you haven't been back in awhile, you wouldn't believe how much it's grown (in places, that is... some others, not so much). As you can see, 'The Awfulplex' is still 'The Awfulplex,' which is why I've never bought a Ram from them (this is my 3rd one).

Chris VB

Reaction score
Hello All! I just traded in my 2012 Lonestar RWD for a 2021 Longhorn Limited 4x4, and had to do the 'DFW 500' to get it (the RAM stealership here in San Angelo absolutely sucks - there's a reason I've called them 'The Awfulplex' since the '90s). I'd been looking for intel on the pending Ram Dakotas rumored to be coming out in the next few years, thinking I'd be down for one of those as a 'retirement' truck, having just another 6.5 years to go and would be making my last payment right about that time, when a '21 Bighorn Black Widow popped up at The Awfulplex, listed for $59.5K. Yeah - that was a cool truck, so I developed a crush on it and went to see it earlier last week... WOW - it was incredible! A couple of things that were in the back of my head: 1. My wife is 5'2", so getting into a lifted-on-35s RAM will be an even bigger challenge for her than it was with my RWD Lonestar, and 2. Having to climb up into it would be new for me, being 6'5" I slide right into the seat... but with the Black Widow I needed to use the steps, didn't know where to put my feet, and my knees were like, "Really?! You want to do this every day?!" Thinking I could eventually get by with that, I was not seriously deterred. Then I asked the sales rep, "OK, so why are you getting rid of this awesome truck for only $60K?" He said, "Oh no - it's listed at $85K." WTF?! Yeah... I'm not THAT in love with it, so we were done at that point... but Man, that was a cool truck!

Well - I still had 'new truck-itis,' so I started looking around at new ones, thinking that I could get the same truck they sent off to SCA Performance and add-on the cool things about the Black Widow truck that I liked over the next few years. I found one in Weatherford, but when I got home my wife had picked out one that was even nicer - she liked the wheels better, even though it was a little more expensive. Hey - SCORE! So, now I have my 2021 1500 Longhorn Limited 4x4. Then I had to do the 'DFW 500' (drove from San Angelo to Lewisville, signed papers, took possession, then drove back home... same day).

So far, so good. I'm loving the new truck, except for the stereo. Yes, it has the UConnect 12-inch w/Harmon-Kardon speaker package, but the bass is pretty 'meh.' I had an aftermarket JVC AM/FM/CD/USB/BT w/back-up camera pushing Infinity Kappas and an MTX Thunderform 400w w/2 MTX Terminator subs - that thing cranked, and I had to periodically tighten a few things in the cab... I miss having the bass I can feel. The new system does a vastly superior job at regulating and equalizing the MP3s than the JVC unit did - so, it's something of a trade-off (to the good), but I think I might need to add a gain-controlled 8" sub in the future, just to get me back close to what I had. Oddly enough, my three favorite things about this truck compared to my 2012 is having a proper volume knob again, the folding mirrors, and the projector headlights (WAY better than even G.E. Silver Stars).

I'm still a fan of forums, being a member of several since I'm also a car guy. I'm non-denominational when it comes to cars, and I have all of the Big-4 represented in my fleet. 2021 Ram (of course), her 2015 Camaro RS, a 1980 CJ-7 on 33" Swampers (I'm swapping in an AMC 304 & automatic to replace its 258 I6 & 4-sp), and a 1971 Mach 1 I resurrected from the dead (it was a pile of rust in the shape of a Mustang when I got it). No kids... getting older, so I have a few toys. My wife said I'm done with full-size car projects (since we have no more room to park 'em), so I've started building models again. I also do websites as a hobby, build custom computers, race nitro R/C cars, and play low brass in our local Community Band. I've been affiliated with the Air Force since 1986 - 10 years Active Duty, Contractor for 11 years, and Civil Service since 2007 - IT Security Manager is my current job.

View attachment 98758

Looking forward to meeting everybody, checking out all the cool 5th Gens, and learning more about mine.

That’s a nice rig you got there brother! Just finished building mine! :)
ab435e07b3f28e18bc8d77488ead2449.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramzilla01

Reaction score

View attachment 98758

Love the name…and the truck. My wife named mine too, your not alone!!!

NorcalMike

Reaction score

View attachment 98758

Beautiful looks like mine 😂
And we even have the same bed cover. We named ours Del 😂

Chris VB

Reaction score
SWEET! I'm not going quite that tall because of having to climb up/in all the time, but that looks 'just about right,' IMHO.

Thanks brother! Ya I would gone with just the 6” suspension lift, the shop guys said 37s would clear. I doubted them, and I was correct. Needed additional 2” body to clear. I have 3/8” of space when my wheel is turned lol
Also my wife is barely 5’ lol she has a leap with no step bars! Bahahaha
dbac867207ce366555baa2cc863633f6.jpg

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Thanks brother! Ya I would gone with just the 6” suspension lift, the shop guys said 37s would clear. I doubted them, and I was correct. Needed additional 2” body to clear. I have 3/8” of space when my wheel is turned lol
Also my wife is barely 5’ lol she has a leap with no step bars! Bahahaha
dbac867207ce366555baa2cc863633f6.jpg

My wife's 5'2" and struggled a bit with the nerf steps I had on the RWD 2012 LoneStar, but this one has the power retractable steps, and despite being a 4x4, they're actually better for her with this one. Personally, I don't use the steps (powered, or otherwise) being 6'5", I can just slide right in. As much as I'd love to duplicate your look, I'm getting to old and fat to scramble up into a bad-*** monster truck anymore.

I love your truck, Man - it's pretty much exactly what I was going for. Seriously, this is what caught my eye and gave me 'new truck-itis.'
2021_ram_1500-pic-4055560907355589631-1024x768.jpeg

Right now, I'm thinking that with the 22" Limited wheels, a level kit, and some 35s, I can at least get in the ball park without as much altitude (or the extra $25K the stealership wanted).

Get your wife a set of those power retractable steps - you can't even really tell they're there when stowed, and you're wife will love you even more for it. ;)

Chris VB

Reaction score
My wife's 5'2" and struggled a bit with the nerf steps I had on the RWD 2012 LoneStar, but this one has the power retractable steps, and despite being a 4x4, they're actually better for her with this one. Personally, I don't use the steps (powered, or otherwise) being 6'5", I can just slide right in. As much as I'd love to duplicate your look, I'm getting to old and fat to scramble up into a bad-*** monster truck anymore.

I love your truck, Man - it's pretty much exactly what I was going for. Seriously, this is what caught my eye and gave me 'new truck-itis.'
View attachment 102037

Right now, I'm thinking that with the 22" Limited wheels, a level kit, and some 35s, I can at least get in the ball park without as much altitude (or the extra $25K the stealership wanted).

Get your wife a set of those power retractable steps - you can't even really tell they're there when stowed, and you're wife will love you even more for it. ;)

Thanks man! That’s hilarious, because that truck you sent is the black widow package. Stitched spider headrests
And all the upgrades are black widow.
I based my build on this truck aswell !! Lmao . I put about $15k cad into all the upgrades. That’s with b2 fabrication aggressive muffler, resonator delete kit and 5” ceramic coated tips. Retractors are $3000 .. ugh. Eventually but not on the top of the list lol
e16751f3959fdd400c14dd4b5fc58b51.jpg

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
This sounds like another case of, "Great Minds thinking alike." It was indeed a Black Widow that got me wanting a new truck. Funny thing, I saw that very same truck rollin' down the highway the other day, and I didn't like it as much in the sun - it's has a black roof that I didn't initially see in the online listing pics, and I wasn't really sure about it when I saw it in the shade. But seeing it the other day, I for sure that just kind of didn't appeal to me. I'm glad I passed on it, and I'll just take my cues from your fine example (TBH, she was a little freaked out by the spider logos everywhere, anyway).

I'm thinking of going with a Magnaflow Direct Fit (had one on the '12 which was almost perfect for my liking), and then find a way tune out some of the chrome - maybe with some red anodizing paint. We'll see.

I think you nailed it, though! (y)

Chris VB

Reaction score
This sounds like another case of, "Great Minds thinking alike." It was indeed a Black Widow that got me wanting a new truck. Funny thing, I saw that very same truck rollin' down the highway the other day, and I didn't like it as much in the sun - it's has a black roof that I didn't initially see in the online listing pics, and I wasn't really sure about it when I saw it in the shade. But seeing it the other day, I for sure that just kind of didn't appeal to me. I'm glad I passed on it, and I'll just take my cues from your fine example (TBH, she was a little freaked out by the spider logos everywhere, anyway).

I'm thinking of going with a Magnaflow Direct Fit (had one on the '12 which was almost perfect for my liking), and then find a way tune out some of the chrome - maybe with some red anodizing paint. We'll see.

I think you nailed it, though! (y)

I’d have to agree! I really appreciate that thanks brother. I’m extremely happy with my decision on sizing and colour. Black roof is dumb lol. I do think those black widow rims are super nice, I like a dish but I still love those. Keep in touch, I want updates lol
Nice talking with you :)

Chris VB

Reaction score
I’d have to agree! I really appreciate that thanks brother. I’m extremely happy with my decision on sizing and colour. Black roof is dumb lol. I do think those black widow rims are super nice, I like a dish but I still love those. Keep in touch, I want updates lol
Nice talking with you :)

P.S magnaflow was my fist choice but do not regret b2 fabrication! Sounds awesome. And it only cost me $500 to do myself!

NorcalMike

Reaction score

View attachment 102037

I love the wheels I wonder if they sell them separately?

blankcanvas

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! When is the 71 Mach coming for show n tell!? 😬

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I love the wheels I wonder if they sell them separately?
I've been searching high and low, but apparently they're exclusive to SCA Performance, and I haven't found anything on their site where they'll sell just the wheels (or any other bits of the BW packages, apparently). The crazy thing is the factory 22" Limited wheels are VERY close to the same pattern, minus the dish. If one were to mask off the beveled edges of the 6 largest voids, paint the whole rim black, then peel the masks, they would look pretty dang close. I don't know that I'll go that far, but with the Plasti-Dip stuff these days, it could be fun to try after the Goodyears wear out and it's time for some new skins.

Congrats on the new truck! When is the 71 Mach coming for show n tell!? 😬
Here's the pic I saw from the Craigslist Ad, and just had to have it.
schlep1.jpg

After 4 years of rust replacement, fabrication, rebuilding, cuttin', beatin', bangin', grindin', sandin', and more money than if I would've bought a newish GT-500, here we are:
IMG_0600-1.jpg

Here's a link to the web page I made for historical purposes (the blog's not quite complete yet, but there's also a link to the FB photo album with almost 400 pics of all the gory details): http://www.mister4x4.net/cars/Mach_1.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/