5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greene Racing v.s. HemiFever

Reaction score
I want to start this thread out by stating that this is not a thread to bash anyone just give facts and my experience's with both tuners on my truck so people do not end up in the same boat as me.

Truck Specs:
2019 ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 (non E-Torque) 4x4
Carli commuter kit with Fox 2.0's
TRX wheels w/ 35x12.50r18
Diablo T2 with PCM Unlock
Vararam Intake
Moe's NSR VVT Cam Kit W/ All options (minus Tuning)
Greene Racing Tuning.

Pre Cam / Lifter failure: I ran HemiFever PCM/TCM tuning on my 4th and 5th Gen (current truck) and had 0 issues up till cam install and was happy with the tuning.

To start this journey my truck had the dreaded typical lifter failure, Reached out to Matt with Moe's Excellent customer service and help with all questions on how I get my truck fixed and fixed properly. My lifter failure ended up being a little different and the best possible outcome when it comes to lifter failure. I had zero shavings in the motor and the lifter that failed lost the retaining clip out of the back of it (can provide scope photos if anyone is interested in seeing). I got the Cam installed by a reputable shop who is to stay unnamed. I received my first tune package from HemiFever and the truck would not stay idling without throttle. Couple revisions later the truck would idle but surge like crazy when put into gear (drive or reverse) with 0 throttle. The truck was finally drivable and I say that very lightly as is in it would move. It would drive down the highway perfectly fine but at low speeds would surge and stall shifting to neutral or dying asking to **** to park before selecting gear. the truck was hanging up in 4th gear upon decel and just falling on its face when reaching a stop. these issues went on for 20+ revisions. Not sure on the exact number because he was working with the shop that did the cam and sent a bunch of files to them without copying me on the emails (will get to that in a second) but I had 16 files sent to me. The only way HemiFever could get the truck to drive is idling between 1000-1100 RPM, and that would only stop the surging I was having to manually downshift the truck to make it truly drivable, and occasionally the truck would still surge upon stopping or shift to neutral. I reached out to Matt with Moe's and both him and Sean with Hemi fever were insisting that it was an install failure and something was installed correctly, but yet still kept sending tune revisions and trying to get the truck to run. I asked Matt if another tuner could look at the file from Sean (HemiFever) and make sure he was adjusting everything correctly and also a fresh set of eyes on what my truck was doing. They ended up getting another tuner to write a new tune for my truck (Ex Diablo Engineer is the information I was Given) and no changes, all the same symptoms. I reached back out to Matt letting him know I was going to reach out to get another tuner to write a tune for the truck. If the truck was running on this new tune I would request a refund for hemi fever tuning as I have given them ample opportunity to tune the truck and they have been unsuccessful. Matt agrees so I proceed to Jay Greene with Greene Racing. Mean while Sean with Hemifever is still sending files to the shop that has my truck trying to correct there tune. I give the shop direction to please quit uploading HemiFever tunes to my truck as they were using my truck as a guinea pig to get there tune correct and I gave them plenty of opportunity to do so. Sean was sending videos of how the truck should be running and shifting yet in the videos were a 6 speed 4th gen cluster. I talked with Jay Greene on the phone for 45+ min and explain my situation as I am just trying to get my truck running at this point. I tell him if my truck runs on his tune he will gain my business and my word to the RAM community. If it does not run he ensured me I could receive a full refund for the tuning package. I send him my Files off the truck and he sends me the base line tune within 24 hours for my truck asked me to upload log and return the log. I install the tune and the truck runs and shifts as it should with just the baseline tune from Greene Racing. That's where I stand currently as of this post. I will update after completing the Greene Racing revisions and give a full review on his tuning.

To Summarize all of this and give my 2 cents and beliefs on this whole situation.
HemiFever Tuning knows 4th Gens and I have no doubts of their capabilities there or for a Level 1 (Stock truck) 5th gen tune. However you start throwing more than just intake and exhaust on a 5th gen truck they haven't quite got the recipe figured out yet which worries me for as much as his name is thrown around on threads. I wish he had been upfront with me letting me know that this is going to be a trial and error tuning and that my truck was the guinea pig for 5th gens with a cam. Matt Stated that they have 100+ trucks with my exact setup and have yet to run into any issues thus far especially to this extent. and that may be true in 4th gens but I do not believe they have many 5th gens with cams yet. Matt is and continues to be a great help and I have 0 regret installing his cam kit in my truck. I will continue to order parts from Moe's and seek Matts advice for my truck and Hemi's in General. As for tuning Greene Racing has my business as Customer service, honesty, and being up front with me has exceeded expectations.

I want to repeat this is not a bashing post and do not want to be perceived as this but wanted to let everyone in on my situation so others do not end up down the same path.
Maybe I am wrong in the 2 Cents section and my truck is a odd duck and a one of a kind issue but as for them blaming install and continuing to send revision after revision even after blaming install kind of makes the writing on the wall clear. and it especially came clear to me when the truck ran perfectly fine on Greene Racing baseline tune after 20+ revisions from Hemifever that were unsuccessful.

Reaction score
A update from this mornings original post.
I'm now on my 2nd revision from Jay Greene and truck is still acting 100 % normal. Jay called to see how I was liking the tuning and the revision and what my thoughts were. just goes to show yet again the awesome customer service jay Greene and Greene Racing have to offer.
See attached photo to prove my point with hemi fever, message was sent to the mechanic that did my cam and confirmed me and my truck were the 5th Gen Guinea Pig. IMG_5704.jpg

Yet again not trying to bash anyone just stating facts based on my experience.

Last edited:
Reaction score
New Update as of today, I finally took the truck back from the shop today and got to drive it. It is running leaps and bounds better than before. Thank you again to Jay Greene and his tuning for getting my truck the proper tuning.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New Update as of today, I finally took the truck back from the shop today and got to drive it. It is running leaps and bounds better than before. Thank you again to Jay Greene and his tuning for getting my truck the proper tuning.
Would be interesting to compare the files from Jay and Sean to see what the difference is.

Reaction score
Would be interesting to compare the files from Jay and Sean to see what the difference is.
I'd be curious as well. All I can say is one made my truck run as it should and the other couldn't make it run correctly and wanted to blame install repeatedly while also having me test revision after revision putting me and my truck at risk. the first revision I received from HemiFever made the truck rev to 6K in park luckily, and all revisions after that would jump on coming to a stop almost causing me to pull into traffic multiple times.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be curious as well. All I can say is one made my truck run as it should and the other couldn't make it run correctly and wanted to blame install repeatedly while also having me test revision after revision putting me and my truck at risk. the first revision I received from HemiFever made the truck rev to 6K in park luckily, and all revisions after that would jump on coming to a stop almost causing me to pull into traffic multiple times.
I have a Hemifever tune on my Dakota R/T. But every vehicle is different.

Reaction score
I have a Hemifever tune on my Dakota R/T. But every vehicle is different.
I had them on this exact truck when it was stock and it ran fine and I had them on my 4th gen before this and it ran fine, yet again there was no major mods to either truck. now that my 5th gen is cammed Hemifever couldn't even get the truck to run. When I saw the message he sent to the mechanic that did the work that he rarely gets to mess with a 5th gen. that throws up a huge red flag for me, as I was told he has 100's of these trucks that are tuned.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had them on this exact truck when it was stock and it ran fine and I had them on my 4th gen before this and it ran fine, yet again there was no major mods to either truck. now that my 5th gen is cammed Hemifever couldn't even get the truck to run. When I saw the message he sent to the mechanic that did the work that he rarely gets to mess with a 5th gen. that throws up a huge red flag for me, as I was told he has 100's of these trucks that are tuned.
There's probably not a lot of modified 5th gens. But I can't imagine the tuning would be that different. Wonder if there was just something simple he overlooked and never thought to go back through all the settings? Not making excuses. This is why it's good to have more than one option

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There's probably not a lot of modified 5th gens. But I can't imagine the tuning would be that different. Wonder if there was just something simple he overlooked and never thought to go back through all the settings? Not making excuses. This is why it's good to have more than one option
Likely because Jay Greene took 9 tunes to get my truck to even be able to start when it was stock...
Likely the same thing Hemifeaver was struggling with.
Interesting Jay Greene called OP. He would never call me or anything like that just email and large delays despite asking for a call to dicuss the failures tobtune. I started at 5pm and did not have my truck able to start until 12am to the point I said I can't troubleshoot anymore and just left it and went to bed.
Sounds like Jay finally realized he needs to treat people right if he wants to continue this section of his business which is different than when he threatened me to remove my vlreview I posted online of him showing how he couldn't do a proper tune on a 5th gen.

I do wonder how Diablotuna is on the 5th gens. I couldn't find a shop within 50 miles that would/could tune a truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Likely because Jay Greene took 9 tunes to get my truck to even be able to start when it was stock...
Likely the same thing Hemifeaver was struggling with.
Interesting Jay Greene called OP. He would never call me or anything like that just email and large delays despite asking for a call to dicuss the failures tobtune. I started at 5pm and did not have my truck able to start until 12am to the point I said I can't troubleshoot anymore and just left it and went to bed.
Sounds like Jay finally realized he needs to treat people right if he wants to continue this section of his business which is different than when he threatened me to remove my vlreview I posted online of him showing how he couldn't do a proper tune on a 5th gen.

I do wonder how Diablotuna is on the 5th gens. I couldn't find a shop within 50 miles that would/could tune a truck.
Sounds like you were his guinea pig.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like you were his guinea pig.
Sure as hell felt like it. He gave me the whole "I've done tons of these trucks (2022s) and never seen this before BS too. Would like honestly "I have never done this but will give my best attempt" . It's a perfectly fine reaponce/answer but some people like to lie I guess.

popcenator

Reaction score
Sure as hell felt like it. He gave me the whole "I've done tons of these trucks (2022s) and never seen this before BS too. Would like honestly "I have never done this but will give my best attempt" . It's a perfectly fine reaponce/answer but some people like to lie I guess.
I've had Jay's tunes since 2012 and he's been fantastic to work with. He's never taken more than a day to respond to me, most of the time he responds within the day. I have 4 different tunes for my '19 and always come back to Jay's. Why do I have 4? I honestly don't know, I get curious and get another tuner to write me something to see a comparison. I've talked to Jay over the phone as well when I was having transmission issues on my '12 (my own doing), he even offered to call the transmission shop that was rebuilding the transmission and work with them. I can't say enough good things about Jay. Sucks you had bad experiences with him. I have a HF tune as well and did on my '12 and Jay's have always run stronger, plus Sean rarely responds to me unless I hound him. I still bug Jay for little revisions and he's always made them for me, happily.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel this really should have been a complete one shop dyno tuned cam and tune install. You don't hear problems like this with Hennessey type places. Might be hard to find a shop everywhere in the country, but they are around. Might have been a real inconvenience and drive, so I understand the initial choice.

Thanks for the info. If I lose lifters, they won't be going in the next time, a 6.4 non-mds will.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I feel this really should have been a complete one shop dyno tuned cam and tune install. You don't hear problems like this with Hennessey type places. Might be hard to find a shop everywhere in the country, but they are around. Might have been a real inconvenience and drive, so I understand the initial choice.

Thanks for the info. If I lose lifters, they won't be going in the next time, a 6.4 non-mds will.
You hear of horror stories from Hennessy all the time. That was probably one of the worse examples you could have chosen.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You hear of horror stories from Hennessy all the time. That was probably one of the worse examples you could have chosen.
😄 Sorry, but the point still stands that even their cars start and idle.(y)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
😄 Sorry, but the point still stands that even their cars start and idle.(y)
Maybe by the time they get delivered. How long they stay that way is a guessing game.

Adjutant

Reaction score
I just want to throw in that Matt (Moes Performance) is about the very best example of customer service you could imagine.
He walked me through all sorts of bolt ons for my last Ram (4th Gen). He lives about 3 miles from me. He got me in touch with his friend who installed everything at about 1/3 the cost of what I had been quoted from other shops.

One of the things I got was a Borla S-Type catback exhaust. He and his father installed it in their driveway while I was there. Its not like I planned on it. They just said "hey, we can throw this on if you want".

Matt is an absolute stud, and a great guy to have in the Ram community

Users who are viewing this thread