5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Forum - just bought 2021 Ram 1500

SJC5

Reaction score
First, I have to say this forum is a wealth of info. I have been scouring all the different threads and learned so much to prepare me for my first truck and first Ram. So "Thank You" to all the people that post and share. I just ordered a 2021 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" two hours ago. Super excited and now the wait begins. Started looking at the 2020 1500 in early June when my son's car would not pass inspection. Goal was to buy a pickup truck I wanted to get for about a decade and give my 9.5 year old car to him. Since Ram resigned the 1500 in 2019 have been eyeing it. Spent the last month detoured looking at the 2500 for the better payload as my wife thinks she wants a RV. That is my only concern with the 1500 is the low (1400) payload for my truck. Was not happy Ram did not make the 2500 a true 5th gen for 2021 and realizing that any RV is at least 4+ years away went back to my original and preferred choice. The 1500 is so much nicer in the cab and roomier too. Had to get the short bed as the 6'4" would only leave 2" to spare to park in the garage. Since this will be treated like a baby it needs to be garage kept :). Thanks.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Congrats on your order and welcome to the forums! I have to agree, finding this forum has made a world of difference for me when it comes to learning about my truck and the things to look out for when it finally is delivered. I was seriously considering the GM Sierra Denali but after reading about the 5th Gen Rams on this website, I decided to check out the Ram 1500 and fell in love with the Longhorn. Can't wait for it to get here. I hope your truck is built quickly so you won't have to wait too long.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Congrats on your choice. As long as the future rv isn’t too heavy (like in excess of 8K ish ) your 1500 can safely tow. (That‘s a subject of many other threads.). Anyway, your choice of the 1500 for ride, tech and design is tops. Enjoy your ride, let us know about any mods you want/install and search the existing threads about them.
Pics?

laramie4x4

Reaction score
what price did you pay/what was the MSRP, and your location? would be really helpful for others looking to buy

FishOn

Reaction score
Having both a 2500 and a Ram 1500 in the driveway, I will say this... The wife's 2017 Duramax is great with the 5th wheel connected, I wouldn't dream of having it any other way. (Sorry, Cummins guys, I married a Bowtie girl) But the other 300+ days a year, the ride is a bit stiff for my, and most peoples, liking. The Ram rides WAY nicer day to day.

SJC5

Reaction score
what price did you pay/what was the MSRP, and your location? would be really helpful for others looking to buy
MSRP - $62,810. Price - $54,950. Negotiated $1k off invoice plus $2k in November rebates. About 12.5% off MSRP. If you are willing to travel to pick it up you can do better but I live in SE Pennsylvania and that was the best in the area. Koons will do better but you have to be willing to drive and/or ship up. I put the details on the MSRP thread.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Having both a 2500 and a Ram 1500 in the driveway, I will say this... The wife's 2017 Duramax is great with the 5th wheel connected, I wouldn't dream of having it any other way. (Sorry, Cummins guys, I married a Bowtie girl) But the other 300+ days a year, the ride is a bit stiff for my, and most peoples, liking. The Ram rides WAY nicer day to day.
My brother had a 2014 2500 Dmax 10K gvwr. Towed a 34’ fiver. Rode like a woodwagon when empty. Too many limp modes while towing due to their emissions equipment which Chevy mechanics couldn’t fix, so away it went for a 2020 Cummins 2500. Even though he spent $40K more over the trade, at least it a) rides better and b) doesn’t go into limp mode every trip.
Hope your 2017 got whatever the issue was wrong fixed. This owner apparently didn’t have your good fortune...
From silveradosierra.com: Dec 10, 2019. https://www.silveradosierra.com/dur...e-new-2500-high-country-t720671.html#p7117589

“My GM Diesel exhaust system nightmare!
I bought a 2017 2500 LTZ midnight edition It worked fine for a year, then my GM exhaust system nightmare began. It all starts with cleaning exhaust filter continue driving then within 10-20 minutes it goes into Limp mode always at highway speeds and often under load. This happened over 6 times and would have happened more had I not left it at the dealership for so long and not been able to drive it.

3 weeks ago I finally had enough and I decided to trade it in for a 2020 2500 High Country. This weekend as I was towing snowmobiles up to the mountains in Colorado with less than 1,500 miles on the truck it said it was cleaning the exhaust filter keep driving. i continued to drive at 70 MPH and within 20 minutes it went into Low Power Mode and the check engine light came on. I was then stuck doing 20 MPH on mountain passes going into Vail. ”

Seems like diesels are a major gamble anymore... well since dpf got added on anyways.

FishOn

Reaction score
The L5P motor is unbelievable in my opinion, and maybe one of us is on the extreme end of the luck spectrum. It's head and shoulders above what the LML/LMM put out. We pulled the 36' (she's almost 15k loaded) over 5,200 miles on our 1st major road trip, CA TO New Orleans and back, without a hiccup... July, none the less. 100+ almost every day. But the Ram still rides nicer!

Users who are viewing this thread