5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grease fitting in 2019

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my 2014 Ram had a nipple fitting in the driveshaft in the front was a pain in the a## to get too but there was one there, anyone know if the 5th gen has one also...

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Still not completely clear, is the double cardan joint on all 5th gen 1500 4x4s?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Still not completely clear, is the double cardan joint on all 5th gen 1500 4x4s?

Unfortunately, the Factory Service Manual is not clear on that point, nor does it state what mechanical equipment configurations will have this type joint, except for the sentence I extracted for my first response to the OP. Admittedly, it is not all that enlightening, as has been previously stated.
As a service manual, it is not very informative about the operation of things and is mostly a collection of removal and installation steps. Not at all what we inquisitive types prefer so we'll know how our vehicle works.
I don't know if mine has a double cardan joint either, but now I'm curious so going out to look at it now. But my guess is that it does not, since the transfer case and front differential are fixed in the chassis because we have independent front suspension. If the Ram had a live axle (solid axle) up front, it most likely would have this joint to eliminate the rotational velocity changes inherent with a single cardan joint (your typical universal joint).

Steve

EDIT: Just climbed under the beast and, as expected, there was no double cardan joint anywhere in my drivetrain.
I don't know if the 2500 or 3500 have a live axle up front, but if so, that's where I would expect to find one.
The universal joints I saw appeared to be the "lubed-for-life" variety, so under normal operation should not need to be serviced.
I did see the connection from transfer case to the front driveshaft was enclosed, like the CV joints at the front wheels. Whether this is to keep the joint sealed or is there to act as protection for the joint against road debris is unknown, as the FSM does not call this joint out separately from the rest.

Steve

Last edited:

Ride2little

Reaction score
Changed my oil today. This is the time I climb around and do what needs doing. 10K. 3rd oil change.
No grease fittings on any u-joint

I like that my FJ cruiser had and daughters Tacoma has them. I wish the Rebel had them.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its in there its tight often over looked on my 2014 also, i remind the tech when i drop it off for service, he said they have a special fitting to get there to hit it w grease

Changed my oil today. This is the time I climb around and do what needs doing. 10K. 3rd oil change.
No grease fittings on any u-joint

I like that my FJ cruiser had and daughters Tacoma has them. I wish the Rebel had them.

Attachments

• EA536A05-D72B-4488-8C24-86AFC4C7D8F1.png
    EA536A05-D72B-4488-8C24-86AFC4C7D8F1.png
    202.6 KB · Views: 118

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
I was rummaging through the old FSM today, looking for an answer to a different question and came across this in the maintenance section:

At every oil change interval:
- bla bla - oil and filter
- more bla - battery
- even more - exhaust system
- Lube the front drive shaft fitting (2500/3500 (4x4) models only).

Steve

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my 2014 Ram had them they were very hard to see and get too, this 5th gen im still curious, maybe ill climb under after work tomrw..

blkflg

Reaction score
I have been doing the service checks that seem to be required for my '19 2500 4WD (solid axle). I've looked at all the u-joints and cannot find any grease fittings. I don't believe I have a Cardan joint either. The joint connecting the transfer case to the front differential looks more like a sealed CV joint. My dealer's 'scheduled service plan' requires this to be lubed every 7500 miles. Does anyone know if this an updated design for the 5th gen HD trucks that no longer needs grease?

Attachments

• IMG_7468.jpg
    IMG_7468.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7463.jpg
    IMG_7463.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread