5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gravel roads vs XL or E rated tires

tysmith

Reaction score
Thoughts and experiences with XL tires on gravel/shale roads? Our family trips take us off the beaten path, and my gut says to stick with E rated tires. I have always had 3500's with good all terrain or hybrid tread, and never had an issue off road. As this will be my first 1500 in 25 years, I'm trying to figure out the balance between less weight for daily driving with an XL tire, vs the extra level of safety offered off road with an E rated tire.

I suppose in the back of my mind I'm worried about 'ruining the ride' of the 1500 with E tires. I'm guessing a 1500 with E tires will still offer a more compliant ride than my 3500's, and give me peace of mind with the family when out in remote areas.

One of the hunting camps we go to, every year there is at least one or two trucks or SUVs sitting on the rim from the ride in. I'd like to avoid being that guy.

Lateralus

Reaction score
I run my truck on gravel all day with E rated tires. It rides fine, and I don't have to worry about flats. I used to run Ram 2500s at work, but I switched it up this time to get a better ride.

Jayman

Reaction score
I drive about 12k miles a year and about 7k of those are gravel roads. The factory p rated tires work perfect. But when they wear out I always replace them with an XL tire. No need for the E rated tires on a half ton truck.

illucid

Reaction score
I've had so many flats on gravel roads with P rated tires, especially while towing, that E rated are a no-brainer trade off for a bit of ride comfort. Never had issues with the E rated. That being said, I'm sure XL or even D would also be an improvement.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run my truck on gravel all day with E rated tires. It rides fine, and I don't have to worry about flats. I used to run Ram 2500s at work, but I switched it up this time to get a better ride.

How do you like your Ford compared to the Ram?

daberk

Reaction score
I've had so many flats on gravel roads with P rated tires, especially while towing, that E rated are a no-brainer trade off for a bit of ride comfort. Never had issues with the E rated. That being said, I'm sure XL or even D would also be an improvement.
How noticeable is the difference between an XL and E rated tire on pavement?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
XL's ride a lot better on the highway by far over E's in my experience. XL's have no issues on gravel either.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
I never have problems with flats on gravel or dirt/mud pivot roads running passenger tires (Goodyear SR-A’s). Anytime I get a flat it’s from a big screw or nail or something that could probably puncture anything up to a semi truck tire.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can gamble and win or lose running p rated tires on gravel and “shale” but if you want better protection get some E’s. I remember hunting in Northern Alaska and there’s one truck stop in the middle of a 500 mile stretch of a gravel highway and there was a guy with a brand new red Ram 1500 at this truck stop trying to match together some used tires that would work on his truck, he only made it half way through the trip and his tires were destroyed, plugs in all of them and one blown completely out with a side wall failure. P rated tires are made for fuel economy and car like ride, not for real off pavement work.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How noticeable is the difference between an XL and E rated tire on pavement?

If you don’t overfill them with psi it’s hard to tell a difference. I think too many guys put E rated tires on half tons and then air them up too high which stiffens the ride. Every single half ton I’ve owned I replaced the P rated tires with E rated tires. Never air them up over 40 psi unless towing heavy.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Any problem towing a 6,000 lb boat/trailer on the XL tires?

As long as they are properly inflated you should be ok. With something between 600 and 900 lb tongue weight, you will be near the manufacturer's payload spec, especially if you have a full cab.

If it is towing on a rough road with broken pavement (which would heat the tire) on a dry hot day the metric, close to max cold pressure to have the capacity of the load, will be more vulnerable to failure.

But...generally...you are well within spec.

mac1983620

Reaction score
It's amazing some of the terrible advice I have read on this thread.

If you don't get flats in Goodyear SR-As, then you aren't going off road, or your gravel is extremely dull.

If you're running 10 ply tires under 40 psi on these trucks, you are affecting the long term integrity of the structure of the tire. My Rebel recommends 55 front and 45 rear with the factory 10 ply, for reference. Going too low affects mileage, handling, wear, and how long your tire will last.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At least XL’s. I lost a P tire on my Ford due to a piece of riprap that a road contractor had spilled onto a highway. Sliced the sidewall like a knife. XL’s maybe would have failed as well, likely E’s would have been ok. Can’t say for sure.

If you want to be fairly certain, run E’s at the recommended inflation. Even a curb can blowout P’s.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's amazing some of the terrible advice I have read on this thread.

If you don't get flats in Goodyear SR-As, then you aren't going off road, or your gravel is extremely dull.

If you're running 10 ply tires under 40 psi on these trucks, you are affecting the long term integrity of the structure of the tire. My Rebel recommends 55 front and 45 rear with the factory 10 ply, for reference. Going too low affects mileage, handling, wear, and how long your tire will last.

I’m sorry but you are wrong. 10 ply has nothing to do with it. Each tire has a load inflation weight to psi ratio and the idea that it’s a 10 ply it must be set at x psi is incorrect. I am attaching a load inflation table from Toyo that breaks down the weight the tire is rated to carry and at what psi. For example in my tire size 275/65/20 at 35 psi the weight that tire can handle is 2080 lbs per tire. What does a ram 1500 weigh? I’m pretty sure its not 8320 lbs, that’s more than a 2500 weighs. At 50 psi my tires can handle 2680 per tire , that’s a load of 10,720 lbs for all 4 tires, well in excess of what the truck weighs, by almost twice! You can air your tires up to whatever you choose but each tire is rated for different loads at different psi and driving around in a half ton with tires aired up to carry 10,000 lbs in a 5700 lb truck will not result in a smooth ride, or proper wear from the tires. In addition the 275/70/18’s that the rebels come with can easily be aired to 35 psi and more than handle the weight of the truck in almost all situations with the exception of a heavy gooseneck or fifth wheel trailer.

Attachments

• 5D8DCDB0-9C92-48CB-B636-DCD29E1A9128.png
    5D8DCDB0-9C92-48CB-B636-DCD29E1A9128.png
    351 KB · Views: 32
  • 2F056D18-6F94-40C8-8BAC-EBEDF183CBD7.png
    2F056D18-6F94-40C8-8BAC-EBEDF183CBD7.png
    342.5 KB · Views: 31

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well this thread could get interesting...
While the poster I quote below is not an acknowledged "tire expert", he does bring up an interesting point about underinflating a load range E tire:

Discussion Starter • #1 • Jan 30, 2015
"OK gents, I just spent a couple of hours dissecting tire load inflation tables and thought I'd share this with y'all.

Michelin Tire Load Inflation Chart.jpg

I have Load Range E tires on my '03 Tundra and have been wondering about the correct inflation pressure. Turns out this topic is a bit counterintutive.

Yes, a LT-Metric Load Range E tire does have a greater load capacity than a P-Metric tire, but ONLY IF the LT-Metric LRE tire is inflated to its intended inflation pressure in the 50 to 80 psi range.

Below about 45 psi the LT-Metric LRE tire actually has a lower load capacity than the P-Metric tire. The reason for this is a bit technical but boils down to the tire's ability to shed heat. An underinflated tire commits suicide by overheating and because the LT-Metric LRE tire has a heavier and thicker construction, it generates more heat through internal friction (for the engineers, greater hysteresis) than the P-Metric tire if it's underinflated.

So......if you install Load Range E tires, the lowest you should go for inflation pressure is in the low 40s, 45 psi to be safe. I'm running the LRE tires on my Tundra at 50 psi."

End of quote

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well this thread could get interesting...
While the poster I quote below is not an acknowledged "tire expert", he does bring up an interesting point about underinflating a load range E tire:

Discussion Starter • #1 • Jan 30, 2015
"OK gents, I just spent a couple of hours dissecting tire load inflation tables and thought I'd share this with y'all.

Michelin Tire Load Inflation Chart.jpg

I have Load Range E tires on my '03 Tundra and have been wondering about the correct inflation pressure. Turns out this topic is a bit counterintutive.

Yes, a LT-Metric Load Range E tire does have a greater load capacity than a P-Metric tire, but ONLY IF the LT-Metric LRE tire is inflated to its intended inflation pressure in the 50 to 80 psi range.

Below about 45 psi the LT-Metric LRE tire actually has a lower load capacity than the P-Metric tire. The reason for this is a bit technical but boils down to the tire's ability to shed heat. An underinflated tire commits suicide by overheating and because the LT-Metric LRE tire has a heavier and thicker construction, it generates more heat through internal friction (for the engineers, greater hysteresis) than the P-Metric tire if it's underinflated.

So......if you install Load Range E tires, the lowest you should go for inflation pressure is in the low 40s, 45 psi to be safe. I'm running the LRE tires on my Tundra at 50 psi."

End of quote

I would go by an actual inflation table from a tire manufacturer over what some guy posts as gospel on the internet. Then there’s 20 years of experience running my own trucks 1500’s and 2500’s with air pressure based on load inflation tables rather than internet gospel. Like I said earlier air up your tires to whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy, you are the only one that needs to be happy with the resulting ride quality.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I would go by an actual inflation table from a tire manufacturer over what some guy posts as gospel on the internet. Then there’s 20 years of experience running my own trucks 1500’s and 2500’s with air pressure based on load inflation tables rather than internet gospel. Like I said earlier air up your tires to whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy, you are the only one that needs to be happy with the resulting ride quality.
I think the random guy did post a tire load chart from Michelin but hey, who'se to say. I too have a few years of running tires on trucks and I'd stick with, uhh, the load sticker.
I think the point is, underinflating a tire is likely bad for it and you. But remember, we have coil spring (and some have air suspension) RAMS, so our ride isn't going to get "harsh" by inflating the tire correctly, no matter if its a PXL or an E.
Now my old 77' 1 ton with a pack of leaf springs that was about 8" tall, that one would jar out your teeth fillings...

I do agree with you at the end, it's your ride quality, make yourself happy. Air up your tires to the level you want.

Users who are viewing this thread