5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS searching off line

gencon

Reaction score
After several hours at my local dealership, which is a tiny facility that also is a GMC/Chevy?Jeep dealer, a guy named Kenny, who is a sort of dealership trouble shooter, has figured out the late 2018 early 2019 GPS system on the 12 inch screen. Do not waste your time with Chrysler Care, Connect care or senior case managers, who NEVER call you, email you or communicate with you.
I tried for three days to communicate with the so called, Senior case manager, LEONEL, who does not return calls or emails, either from myself or the dealership. The excuse given by Chrysler care, was he works the late shift ( they are working until 11:00 PM east coast time. Due to this, he was not Logged In at 8:30 West coast time.

So, Kenny went on line and researched not only this site, but any and every site where hundreds, if not thousands of complaints were registered regarding the GPS searching offline.
Here is what he has determined and some is taken on assumption.
1) The unit will only search "on line" if you are connected to 4G wi fi. This means you paid to connect to the 4G offered by UConnect, which is an annual cost, or, you are connected to Sirius XM Guardian. We tried the gps on a new 1500 where the owner registered for their free 1 year Guardian you get when you buy a longhorn or limited. I never registered for this. their unit searched onlin
2) when your unit is searching "offline", it is searching the database that it was loaded with when installed in your vehicle. My database is from a shipment of units from mid to late 2018. If you are searching for a street in a new development, such as in the south west of Idaho, it can't find it as it is not part of your database. Unlike a Garmin, you have to pay FCA, between $300 and $500 for a 1 time database update. It is something you would need to do if you want the unit current every couple of years. Garmin will sell you lifetime updates.
3) FCA over engineered the GPS and in trying to make it easy to use, actually made it a pain in the ***. Kenny had me enter 20 addresses I have in my phone, which meant a search in 6 different states. It searched "offline" for every one , but it found each one and set guidance to each one.
You can not just enter the address in the where to box at the top of the screen. That is good for local searches only. You could enter, say, chevron, or hardees, and the screen will list every chevron or hardees in your area. If its an address in your area, you MUST enter through that portal. If close to your local area, you must hit the right side 3 bar next to " in your area" and then hit, "in a city". Type in the city, then scroll until you see that city name and the correct state. For some reason, my unit defaults to Mexico , Central American countries or Caribbean Islands and I have to re-set the country almost every time.
For me, I use the "where to "icon in the lower left corner. Then I go to other destinations, then to either city or state. from there i can enter street and address.
when it starts to search offline, do not wait for the search to end. If you do that, it dumps and won't find it. The minute your location shows up in a dark bar in the middle of the screen, hit it. Then in bottom left it will have a green box that is getting the route. Hit that. Then a green Go box will appear in the lower left corner, hit that. This worked on every address I tried.
So, even though Kenny can't explain why the unit does certain things, he figured out how it will work for me. My 2017 Challenger, my wife honda are both enter address and if another state, enter that first, then go. I do have an iPhone and it interfaces with the Ram. It is much easier to use, so I may just go that route and live with a "Crappy" factory GPS

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its easier to use an App like Waze through Carplay. Since its a cloud based mapping and guidance App there are no costly database updates needed. For example Waze will also identify where police radar is set up and where there may be heavy traffic and reroute you another way. When there is no connectivity to a cell tower the mapping still continues to operate normally until you get a cell signal again. You can also store frequently used locations and your home address. When you enter an address it starts a smart search looking for the name of the street that is closest to where you currently are and doesn't care what state you are in or what state you are going to like the onboard mapping in our trucks. In essence what I am saying is you have redundant mapping since you have Carplay. If the onboard mapping/GPS functions bug you then use the Carplay option. In my opinion its better anyway.

DennisY

Reaction score
Me personlly, I don't care for WAZE. It drains the heck out of my cell phone battery. And I don't find it to be all that and a bag of nuts either. Your mileage may vary. That said, all of these mapping utilities have their quirks. I'm just happy that we have choices. Gone are the days of trying to read a printed map while driving!

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me personlly, I don't care for WAZE. It drains the heck out of my cell phone battery. And I don't find it to be all that and a bag of nuts either. Your mileage may vary. That said, all of these mapping utilities have their quirks. I'm just happy that we have choices. Gone are the days of trying to read a printed map while driving!
Yes they do all have their quirks and ways of doing things but they have the advantage of being more up to date than the onboard GPS system in our trucks. The day after you pay $500 for the onboard update its already obsolete. I do agree that at least we have the choice to use other methods where we didnt in the past.

gencon

Reaction score
Its easier to use an App like Waze through Carplay. Since its a cloud based mapping and guidance App there are no costly database updates needed. For example Waze will also identify where police radar is set up and where there may be heavy traffic and reroute you another way. When there is no connectivity to a cell tower the mapping still continues to operate normally until you get a cell signal again. You can also store frequently used locations and your home address. When you enter an address it starts a smart search looking for the name of the street that is closest to where you currently are and doesn't care what state you are in or what state you are going to like the onboard mapping in our trucks. In essence what I am saying is you have redundant mapping since you have Carplay. If the onboard mapping/GPS functions bug you then use the Carplay option. In my opinion its better anyway.
Thanks for the feedback. Even googlemaps and apple maps are better than the FCA 2019 GPS.

DennisY

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Even googlemaps and apple maps are better than the FCA 2019 GPS.

How so? I am not experiencing any issues with FCA 2019 GPS. In fact, I have retired my Garmin GPS and am not using Google or Apple maps in my truck.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How so? I am not experiencing any issues with FCA 2019 GPS. In fact, I have retired my Garmin GPS and am not using Google or Apple maps in my truck.
Cloud based mapping is usually better because they do the mapping updates as they receive them and your FCA onboard GPS is static unless you pay for an update. Apple/Google/Waze all have features like road construction, red light camera & police radar warnings to list a few and are usually up to date on restaurants and gas stations.

Last edited:

DennisY

Reaction score
Agreed. However...WAZE seems to eat my smart phone battery like nothing else. I no longer use it for that reason. I don't have much issue with the other three things you mention because:

We have road construction signs in SoCal well ahead of the area under construction.
I don't run red or yellow lights, and, all red light cameras have been deactivated in my county.
Police radar warnings? How does that work on the apps? Police move around quite a bit.

Anyway, I am well aware of the limitations of FCA and other auto manufacturer's navigation systems. It's not an issue for me. Sometimes, FCA's navigation tells me more about a delay on the freeway than I can find on the usual smart phone apps. Sometimes not. It's a coin toss but good to have both available.

In my experience here, POIs are not always updated regularly on any of the apps. Heck, Garmin still shows a grocery store in Palm Springs (where we often take summer trips) as open. It has been gone for five plus years. Ditto Google maps.

I'm just glad we can all access multiple sources of information these days. I'm old enough to remember using paper maps and Rand McNally book maps. Ugh.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just pull into a gas station to ask for directions....HA HA HA...the good ole days!

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah go over the hill, past the crooked oak tree around the bend and across the creek, when you get the to hay bail bear left...oh no you went right..(start the wrong turn movie here)!

Mrgreg2

Reaction score
After several hours at my local dealership, which is a tiny facility that also is a GMC/Chevy?Jeep dealer, a guy named Kenny, who is a sort of dealership trouble shooter, has figured out the late 2018 early 2019 GPS system on the 12 inch screen. Do not waste your time with Chrysler Care, Connect care or senior case managers, who NEVER call you, email you or communicate with you.
I tried for three days to communicate with the so called, Senior case manager, LEONEL, who does not return calls or emails, either from myself or the dealership. The excuse given by Chrysler care, was he works the late shift ( they are working until 11:00 PM east coast time. Due to this, he was not Logged In at 8:30 West coast time.

So, Kenny went on line and researched not only this site, but any and every site where hundreds, if not thousands of complaints were registered regarding the GPS searching offline.
Here is what he has determined and some is taken on assumption.
1) The unit will only search "on line" if you are connected to 4G wi fi. This means you paid to connect to the 4G offered by UConnect, which is an annual cost, or, you are connected to Sirius XM Guardian. We tried the gps on a new 1500 where the owner registered for their free 1 year Guardian you get when you buy a longhorn or limited. I never registered for this. their unit searched onlin
2) when your unit is searching "offline", it is searching the database that it was loaded with when installed in your vehicle. My database is from a shipment of units from mid to late 2018. If you are searching for a street in a new development, such as in the south west of Idaho, it can't find it as it is not part of your database. Unlike a Garmin, you have to pay FCA, between $300 and $500 for a 1 time database update. It is something you would need to do if you want the unit current every couple of years. Garmin will sell you lifetime updates.
3) FCA over engineered the GPS and in trying to make it easy to use, actually made it a pain in the ***. Kenny had me enter 20 addresses I have in my phone, which meant a search in 6 different states. It searched "offline" for every one , but it found each one and set guidance to each one.
You can not just enter the address in the where to box at the top of the screen. That is good for local searches only. You could enter, say, chevron, or hardees, and the screen will list every chevron or hardees in your area. If its an address in your area, you MUST enter through that portal. If close to your local area, you must hit the right side 3 bar next to " in your area" and then hit, "in a city". Type in the city, then scroll until you see that city name and the correct state. For some reason, my unit defaults to Mexico , Central American countries or Caribbean Islands and I have to re-set the country almost every time.
For me, I use the "where to "icon in the lower left corner. Then I go to other destinations, then to either city or state. from there i can enter street and address.
when it starts to search offline, do not wait for the search to end. If you do that, it dumps and won't find it. The minute your location shows up in a dark bar in the middle of the screen, hit it. Then in bottom left it will have a green box that is getting the route. Hit that. Then a green Go box will appear in the lower left corner, hit that. This worked on every address I tried.
So, even though Kenny can't explain why the unit does certain things, he figured out how it will work for me. My 2017 Challenger, my wife honda are both enter address and if another state, enter that first, then go. I do have an iPhone and it interfaces with the Ram. It is much easier to use, so I may just go that route and live with a "Crappy" factory GPS
You would think they can update the nav unit to the lates version if they’re plug and play with correct software updates!

Mrgreg2

Reaction score
Yes they do all have their quirks and ways of doing things but they have the advantage of being more up to date than the onboard GPS system in our trucks. The day after you pay $500 for the onboard update its already obsolete. I do agree that at least we have the choice to use other methods where we didnt in the past.
It’s sad that we paid this much for a piece of equipment only to find out it doesn’t work and requires more money to update often and it still doesn’t work!!

Kristoff

Reaction score
So bowed into the dust for the fact that my $70K RAM 1500 Limited Uconnect GPS only work if I PAY FOR the AT&T, how cumbersome!, then when I wanted to subscribe I was told it is not possible for my unit to get AT&T Hotspot! AT&T are "working on solving the issue" then I found out that they have been "Working on the WIFI issue" for more than a year! I don't think it gets more crazy than that, cannot get my $70K Uconnect GPS working as there are no options to get it connected to the internet, I think now this is a case for BBB to try to solve.

DennisY

Reaction score
Kristoff, I am guessing that you have something else going on. I have a 2019 and do not subscribe to AT&T. The Navigation works just fine. I have not tried the Hot Spot but yes, you do have to subscribe to AT&T for that. On the other hand, your cell phone most likely has hot spot capability. It may also cost extra or it may not. Depends on your provider.

Users who are viewing this thread