5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got rear ended - Bumper and Exhaust Casualties

Mark313

Reaction score
This may have helped!!

Attachments

• F49103.jpg
    F49103.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 17

chance21

Reaction score
The collision repair people got back with me this afternoon. Aside from the bumper, exhaust hanger, and exhaust pipe the y-pipe is bent as well. All of the parts have a one day availability with the exception of the y-pipe. I'm being told the y-pipe is back ordered nationally with an unknown availability date. I wonder how long it takes to get an aftermarket exhaust that would include a new y-pipe?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The collision repair people got back with me this afternoon. Aside from the bumper, exhaust hanger, and exhaust pipe the y-pipe is bent as well. All of the parts have a one day availability with the exception of the y-pipe. I'm being told the y-pipe is back ordered nationally with an unknown availability date. I wonder how long it takes to get an aftermarket exhaust that would include a new y-pipe?

a muffler shop can build a new y-pipe. probably fairly resonable too.

chance21

Reaction score
a muffler shop can build a new y-pipe. probably fairly resonable too.
I asked for the collision repair company to take the truck to a muffler shop and see what they can do. Things start to get a little tricky with the insurance company requiring the repair facility to use brand new OEM parts. Hopefully things can get worked out soon. I'm in a 2018 Chevy Silverado rental and it's torture compared to the awesomeness of my Ram.

Last edited:

B-Rebel

Reaction score
Yesterday I got rear ended by one of our local Police officers. It wasn't really his fault as he got hit from behind and was pushed into me while stopped at a stoplight. Other than a new bumper, my passenger side exhaust got messed up a little bit. What surprised me the most was how easily the exhaust hanger broke. It's made of cast aluminum, probably to save weight, but that sucker snapped like it was plastic. It makes me think more consideration was put into weight savings than the longevity of the part. Any weight savings benefit was compromised with the installation method. The exhaust is still stable but it's resting on the rear sway bar end link. View attachment 7699 View attachment 7700 View attachment 7701 View attachment 7702

Well I got rear ended yesterday while at a complete stop. It's painful to have to take a 6 month old truck to a body shop, but stuff happens I suppose. I wanted to ask if you by chance know what it cost for you to have your bumper replaced? The body shape estimated the repair/ replacement at $680. the shop said that exhaust looks fine just by looking at the hangers and I can't see any sort of damage to the exhaust tips.

I am considering buying a nicer bumper with the check from the insurance company and installing it myself, but that seems risky if I were to come across any other damages. I got up under the truck and everything looks fine and in order minus the bumper (took the brunt of it and worked as was designed I suppose).

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8df.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8df.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 33
  • fullsizeoutput_912.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_912.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 33

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yesterday I got rear ended by one of our local Police officers. It wasn't really his fault as he got hit from behind and was pushed into me while stopped at a stoplight. Other than a new bumper, my passenger side exhaust got messed up a little bit. What surprised me the most was how easily the exhaust hanger broke. It's made of cast aluminum, probably to save weight, but that sucker snapped like it was plastic. It makes me think more consideration was put into weight savings than the longevity of the part. Any weight savings benefit was compromised with the installation method. The exhaust is still stable but it's resting on the rear sway bar end link. View attachment 7699 View attachment 7700 View attachment 7701 View attachment 7702
Glad it's minimal and no one was hurt.

B-Rebel

Reaction score
Decide to pop the bumper off myself and have a look. Not seeing any damage to the frame mounts. Thinking I’ll just put an addictive desert designs bumper on and call it good. Was going to eventually anyway

Attachments

• 7396CED3-E3C2-4C25-A7BF-1754CE9410F1.jpeg
    7396CED3-E3C2-4C25-A7BF-1754CE9410F1.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 6FC2D2D6-6905-49FE-BF23-7A4432D76BB8.jpeg
    6FC2D2D6-6905-49FE-BF23-7A4432D76BB8.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 54966D54-42B7-4B5D-AB8A-34F41D239D78.jpeg
    54966D54-42B7-4B5D-AB8A-34F41D239D78.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 17

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The exhaust part is easy, any competent muffler shop will get that fixed in about 20 minutes if they take their time.

Users who are viewing this thread