5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got rear ended - Bumper and Exhaust Casualties

chance21

Reaction score
Yesterday I got rear ended by one of our local Police officers. It wasn't really his fault as he got hit from behind and was pushed into me while stopped at a stoplight. Other than a new bumper, my passenger side exhaust got messed up a little bit. What surprised me the most was how easily the exhaust hanger broke. It's made of cast aluminum, probably to save weight, but that sucker snapped like it was plastic. It makes me think more consideration was put into weight savings than the longevity of the part. Any weight savings benefit was compromised with the installation method. The exhaust is still stable but it's resting on the rear sway bar end link. Bumper 2.jpg Bumper 1.jpg Exhaust bracket.jpg Exhaust on sway bar end link.jpg

Last edited:

chance21

Reaction score
It could also be by design. Rather snap the cheapo hanger, than have it hold secure then mess up a more expensive exhaust component.

I considered that. I was hoping that was the intent but cast aluminium doesn't hold up on kids toys much less a truck. I'm lucky the impact wasn't any harder as the exhaust pipe would've bent the sway bar end link.

Last edited:

chance21

Reaction score
It's an exhaust hanger... Did you want it to take the brunt of the force of the accident for you? I'm confused by this... It has one job, and the requirements of that job do not extend to surviving any sort high lateral loads...

My apologies sir. My intent wasn't to confuse you ... Normally, exhaust hangers are just a simple piece of steel welded to the frame. That type of hanger can hold up to an impact from an activity like, let's say, "normal" off road usage. (I use this activity as a comparison to create an understandable similarity of the "high lateral load".) This impact was so minimal my passenger didn't realize we'd been hit. The impact was far from being a "high lateral load". The vehicle that hit me, a 2016 Police Crown Victoria, had minor cosmetic damage from the impact. The majority of which consisted of a black soot ring from my exhaust tip. My point is, I'm surprised it's cast aluminum and that it sheared so easily. That's all. I'm not trying to say our Ram trucks are junk. Truth be told, I really like my Ram. Luckily, the parts are readily available and everything will be back to normal soon.

Taking your point into consideration ... If that was the intent of using cast aluminum for an exhaust hanger, it works superbly. It doesn't look like the exhaust pipe suffered any significant bending.

Last edited:

GoMango16

Reaction score
Looks like he hit the exhaust too and hard enough to leave an imprint on his never. No wonder the bracket broke!

chance21

Reaction score
Are you saying the should design the hanger to be rear ended? :rolleyes:

I don't care if they use bailing wire, zip ties, and old bubble gum. I'm saying I'm surprised it's not a cheap piece of steel welded to the frame. I'm even more surprised it's a cast aluminum bracket held on with two bolts.

I don't make it a habit to tow things with my passenger side exhaust. But it would be nice to know that option is available should I decide to not use my hitch. Maybe the drivers side is stronger. I'll go check that out.

chance21

Reaction score
Aluminum doesn't rust, Those metal hangers always rust up and in three years time they are brittle anyway.
Good point. Down here in south Texas we don't have any road salt and I hadn't thought of that as an issue. I need to look more closely at it to see if there are spacers between the frame and hanger bracket. Dissimilar metal corrosion is an issue I deal with often and I'm interested to see how this design works long term.

Last edited:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I would question the strength of the rear bumper, considering how much it got bent compared to practically no damage to the police car. The exhaust did appear to take the brunt of it.

chance21

Reaction score
I would question the strength of the rear bumper, considering how much it got bent compared to practically no damage to the police car. The exhaust did appear to take the brunt of it.
I'm thankful the hit wasn't any harder. The exhaust pipe is rubbing on the sway bar end link and with any more force I would have bent suspension components. I was really surprised that it will only take a day to get the replacement parts.

GoMango16

Reaction score
I would think the exhaust has been damaged and may need to be replaced to look and fit right...

chance21

Reaction score
I would think the exhaust has been damaged and may need to be replaced to look and fit right...
Good eye Mango. I climbed under the truck to get a better look this afternoon. The mandrel bend coming from the joint just past the y-pipe (X-pipe?) is deformed and will definitely need to be replaced. This section also includes the muffler assembly. I noticed that the muffler proudly displays "MOPAR". Even though I'm new to the fan club, it made me happy.

Last edited:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Serves you right for robbing liquor stores and getting in high speed police chases! :eek::eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of my freak accident 2 weeks ago... heart breaking to have your new toy messed up. Glad it wasn't serious and you're alright.

chance21

Reaction score
Serves you right for robbing liquor stores and getting in high speed police chases! :eek::eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of my freak accident 2 weeks ago... heart breaking to have your new toy messed up. Glad it wasn't serious and you're alright.
I was just borrowing the money and the cop should've known I was going to stop at the stoplight.

I'm glad you didn't have any serious issues with your freak accident. It sucks to pull up to the collision repair company and look down to see 2500 miles on the odometer.

Users who are viewing this thread