5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got in an accident last night - here are a few things I wish I tried out before

Drewster

Reaction score
Last night I was trying to take a wide left onto an angled dirt road from a two-lane country road, when the impatient driver behind me was suddenly in my driver door. Tears for my 2020 Limited aside, here are a few things I wish I didn't have to look up in the owner's manual on the side of the road:
  • In the event your door is mechanically stuck but the door switch thinks it's "open", the Auto Park system is a real pain (because it thinks the door open and won't let you reverse). If you can force the door closed, that's the easiest way to keep it from intervening, but according to other posts fastening your seatbelt is another way to keep Auto Park from engaging.
  • There is a manual "rip cord" under a panel at the bottom left of the dash. Pulling the orange cord will let you get the truck into Neutral to winch the truck out (regardless of battery or key) but it does NOT override Auto Park. If you're trying to back the truck up with a bunch of police cars blocking traffic for you, the manual release does nothing to keep Auto Park from slamming into Park while you try and reverse, making you look like a moron.
This is probably more common knowledge, but I'll put it in here anyway:
  • The air suspension does not like it when a tire is totally flat. You need to go into the U-Connect settings and put the air suspension into "Tire Jack Mode" to keep it from fully extending that corner in vain
  • There's a small plastic cover on the back bumper - remove that and it'll expose a hole for the spare winch (more detail in this video:

JimD007

Reaction score
I was pretty upset the first time I was moving my truck and had the door open a little, so I could see the pavement where I was moving the truck, and the "brains" of the truck slammed it into park. I wish there was an option to turn off all these "nannies".

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me thinks a turn signal may have prevented this ugly scene.
Judgement aside thank you for the stuff I also did not know about the truck.

Drewster

Reaction score
Me thinks a turn signal may have prevented this ugly scene.
Judgement aside thank you for the stuff I also did not know about the truck.
Luckily for me, I have dash cam footage that recorded the blind spot alert (because my turn signal was on) right before impact.

Thanks for the 3rd party judgment to remind everyone to buy a dash cam

Drewster

Reaction score
I was pretty upset the first time I was moving my truck and had the door open a little, so I could see the pavement where I was moving the truck, and the "brains" of the truck slammed it into park. I wish there was an option to turn off all these "nannies".
Unfortunately that specific nanny is a result of someone dying - there's no way to disable it aside from buckling the seatbelt to tell the truck "hey, I'm still here"

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Unfortunately that specific nanny is a result of someone dying - there's no way to disable it aside from buckling the seatbelt to tell the truck "hey, I'm still here"
Wow, thanks for sharing this as well I was totally unaware. That is a pretty rare and freakish incident.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think that nanny is also disabled in 4wd Lo

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Luckily for me, I have dash cam footage that recorded the blind spot alert (because my turn signal was on) right before impact.

Thanks for the 3rd party judgment to remind everyone to buy a dash cam
Did not know a special blind spot alert comes up when the turn signal is on. Where, on the dash?

Drewster

Reaction score
Did not know a special blind spot alert comes up when the turn signal is on. Where, on the dash?
If you have blind spot detection, go into settings for blind spot alert, and you can have it only light up the mirrors, or light and make an audible alert. I have my truck set to light and audible, so if I have my turn signal on and someone enters my blind spot (or the trailer's) I get a "beep beep" along with the orange triangle in that side's mirror.

In the recording you hear "beep beep *boom*"

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have blind spot detection, go into settings for blind spot alert, and you can have it only light up the mirrors, or light and make an audible alert. I have my truck set to light and audible, so if I have my turn signal on and someone enters my blind spot (or the trailer's) I get a "beep beep" along with the orange triangle in that side's mirror.

Ok that’s cool and I did not know that. Will be enabling that today.
Thank you.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Sucks to hear about the accident man. Had a deer run into me few weeks ago causing $3K worth of damage, but nothing I'm sure compared to your accident.
Got stuck with a Ford Fusion 2020 Titanium trim rental. When I got the truck fixed and behind the wheel again, I realize just how much better these trucks drive when compared to what I rented.

Drewster

Reaction score
Sucks to hear about the accident man. Had a deer run into me few weeks ago causing $3K worth of damage, but nothing I'm sure compared to your accident.
Got stuck with a Ford Fusion 2020 Titanium trim rental. When I got the truck fixed and behind the wheel again, I realize just how much better these trucks drive when compared to what I rented.

Thank you! Yeah, I think a wiring harness is pinched because there's no camera signal from that mirror, and that or something else is keeping start-stop from operating.

I won't be surprised if parts cost more than the body work

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Blind spot warning happens whenever a vehicle enters one of the monitored zones, the turn signal does not need to be on.

Drewster

Reaction score
Blind spot warning happens whenever a vehicle enters one of the monitored zones, the turn signal does not need to be on.
The audible alert - the one in question on my dashcam video - does not alert unless the turn signal is on. Otherwise the truck would be chiming at you every time a car passed by. If your car is doing that, you should have it looked at

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The audible alert - the one in question on my dashcam video - does not alert unless the turn signal is on. Otherwise the truck would be chiming at you every time a car passed by. If your car is doing that, you should have it looked at
Ok, I dont use the audible alert, good to know.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^exactly. Beep beep beep if signal is on and someone is in the blindspot

U

User_3336

Last night I was trying to take a wide left onto an angled dirt road from a two-lane country road, when the impatient driver behind me was suddenly in my driver door. Tears for my 2020 Limited aside, here are a few things I wish I didn't have to look up in the owner's manual on the side of the road:
  • In the event your door is mechanically stuck but the door switch thinks it's "open", the Auto Park system is a real pain (because it thinks the door open and won't let you reverse). If you can force the door closed, that's the easiest way to keep it from intervening, but according to other posts fastening your seatbelt is another way to keep Auto Park from engaging.
  • There is a manual "rip cord" under a panel at the bottom left of the dash. Pulling the orange cord will let you get the truck into Neutral to winch the truck out (regardless of battery or key) but it does NOT override Auto Park. If you're trying to back the truck up with a bunch of police cars blocking traffic for you, the manual release does nothing to keep Auto Park from slamming into Park while you try and reverse, making you look like a moron.
This is probably more common knowledge, but I'll put it in here anyway:
  • The air suspension does not like it when a tire is totally flat. You need to go into the U-Connect settings and put the air suspension into "Tire Jack Mode" to keep it from fully extending that corner in vain
  • There's a small plastic cover on the back bumper - remove that and it'll expose a hole for the spare winch (more detail in this video:
jack.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread