5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got hit in my Ram - it's solid.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
I got hit in my 1500 on Saturday. A driver swerved to miss a car, came left of center and hit my passenger side front corner at about 35 - 40 miles an hour (I was sitting still at a stoplight). The other driver was in a Buick LaCrosse which is a pretty large sedan. My wife was with me and we took quite a hit, had we driven her 2018 Mustang as we had planned things would not have been good for us.

That being said we were completely unhurt - not even a bruise or sore muscle the next day. The airbags didn't go off and I expected the whole front end of my truck to be gone. When I got out and looked I was floored. This truck can take a hit - plenty of damage was done but not nearly what I expected. There was no panel shift where my front fender got shoved into my doors and the only limiting factor was that the steel bumper bent into the wheel well far enough I had some serious tire rub. My 2017 Colorado was hit with much less force and it was much, much worse. The pictures are for your entertainment but I can assure you we are safe in these trucks.
20190216_160759_HDR.jpg 20190216_165320_HDR.jpg 20190216_165144_HDR.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow...glad to hear you were unhurt. It'll be interesting to learn the extent of non-visible damage, e.g. whether "splayed frame rail" on that side was impacted. I haven't seen much real-world collision data on these trucks.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Glad you are alright, I was once rear ended in a 150 by a poor sedan, I had to change the hitch assembly due to insurance, but there wasn’t much physical damage, the sedan had it’s hood and whole front almost destroyed. These trucks are solid and I feel much safer sitting in them

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bad luck, but positive outcome. Steel and plastic can be replaced, you and your family cannot. Hope the repairs go well for you.

Maple

Reaction score
On the plus side, you're not going to get any condensation build-up in that headlight assembly. On a more serious note, glad you and yours came out of it unscathed and hope the repairs go quickly and without a mini-van as a rental.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got hit in my 1500 on Saturday. A driver swerved to miss a car, came left of center and hit my passenger side front corner at about 35 - 40 miles an hour (I was sitting still at a stoplight). The other driver was in a Buick LaCrosse which is a pretty large sedan. My wife was with me and we took quite a hit, had we driven her 2018 Mustang as we had planned things would not have been good for us.

That being said we were completely unhurt - not even a bruise or sore muscle the next day. The airbags didn't go off and I expected the whole front end of my truck to be gone. When I got out and looked I was floored. This truck can take a hit - plenty of damage was done but not nearly what I expected. There was no panel shift where my front fender got shoved into my doors and the only limiting factor was that the steel bumper bent into the wheel well far enough I had some serious tire rub. My 2017 Colorado was hit with much less force and it was much, much worse. The pictures are for your entertainment but I can assure you we are safe in these trucks.
View attachment 16570 View attachment 16571 View attachment 16572
Glad to hear no one hurt. The truck can be fixed. Nice to know it can take a hit.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
On the plus side, you're not going to get any condensation build-up in that headlight assembly. On a more serious note, glad you and yours came out of it unscathed and hope the repairs go quickly and without a mini-van as a rental.

F150 as a rental. Not terrible, but not a 5th Gen.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
How was the Buick? Just wondering because, believe it or not, I also own a Lacrosse!!

After he hit me, he took out a crosswalk pole, then into a ditch and finally into a fence. It was pretty torn up.

My dashcam was running and someone pulled out in front of him. He was in a situation where he was absolutely going to hit another vehicle without it being his fault. That being said, swerving into oncoming traffic is a really bad decision and he would have been better to hit the car that pulled out in front of him.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
Wow...glad to hear you were unhurt. It'll be interesting to learn the extent of non-visible damage, e.g. whether "splayed frame rail" on that side was impacted. I haven't seen much real-world collision data on these trucks.

Me neither. I couldn't find a body shop that has fixed a new body style Ram. Instead I went with one that works on everything under the sun and still has a stellar reputation, including an A+ from the BBB. It will be interesting to see the availability of parts and the amount of labor to fix it.

ericd

Reaction score
Mine got hit in the same area affecting the same panels. Not nearly as bad but all the pieces needed to be fixed or replaced. It took about 35 days start to finish to get everything done and wait on parts. 3 weeks of it was waiting on the front grill. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_7184.jpg
    IMG_7184.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7185.jpg
    IMG_7185.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 82

PTRAM

Reaction score

View attachment 16570 View attachment 16571 View attachment 16572
I am also glad you or your wife were not hurt. I have a question--what is your Ram build date and the question for that is that the IIHS report of safety was for Rams built after July 2018. I have the Quad cab and that was not included in the test.

"cab mounts to the vehicle frame at the (C) pillar were strengthened to improve overlap frontal crashes to improve the occupant protection" Build date--after 7-31 -2018

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
I am also glad you or your wife were not hurt. I have a question--what is your Ram build date and the question for that is that the IIHS report of safety was for Rams built after July 2018. I have the Quad cab and that was not included in the test.

"cab mounts to the vehicle frame at the (C) pillar were strengthened to improve overlap frontal crashes to improve the occupant protection" Build date--after 7-31 -2018

Had to have been prior to this - I don't remember the exact date but it is July 2018.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
Finally got my Ram back after 4 weeks in the body shop. Multiple parts on backorder delayed the work but it looks as good as new. Now on to getting recalls done.

tysmith

Reaction score
Glad you are back together, and as others have said, and most importantly, you and your wife are ok. That's always my biggest concern, is some accident that will affect my family. We spend lots of time in our vehicles, and lots of road miles doing fun stuff, so safety is top priority.

I can relate to backordered parts, too. My wife was hit in her 2018 Chevy Traverse. We got one of the first redesigned High Country's in August of 2017, and before it had 500 miles, a kid rear ended her and my kids on their way to karate. Family was fine, but being so new, parts weren't available for the car. That was the first week of september, and she got it back the week before Christmas.

Glad you are back together, good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread