5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a Limited

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sometimes I get a fever so bad to pull the trigger, I cant tell what I’m paying. Sure they make it harder on purpose. They like to slide in couple k of bull **** add ons

when people make these different posts, we all take for granted that somethings are just coming knowledge.

Yes, he did not come off the MSRP. He gave give me more for my trade then it was worth. Not sure why he did it that way. I got my $77k truck for about $64.
In Texas that would be common. Where i live not so much.

In my first statement, I pointed out that the finance lady said this deal was a negative gain as far she could tell.
Some deals are in the red (loss leaders). More common at the end of the month when a dealer needs to make a sales goal. i've seen it actually in some deals I've made in previous years.

Rebates are sparse in the Limited's. FCA knows that people will buy them regardless.

I am quite surprised that they offered 10% off Laramies last month. Maybe the needed to move excess inventory.

Your deal was definitely structured weird, but its clearer now.

Enjoy the Limited!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a very strange way to make the deal but obviously the dealer had some reason to make that work and you got your dream truck at a substantial discount which is rare for Limiteds based on what I've seen others post. Was that trade-in with the $3,500 in damage also or had you fixed it already? I just had the opposite situation on my new truck where they gave me a great discount and then tried to lowball the trade value. They ended up giving me middle of the road KBB value for my trade at $46,500 on a 2021 Laramie with 18k miles and have it on their site for 52k now.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Unfortunately, its all a #'s game. They a number smaller in one portion of the deal, then inflate in another aspect.

Bottom line, the inflated the trade to look like it was a discount on the new truck. I am still perplexed about why they would make it show like that. At the end of the day, they only gotta pay FCA invoice, and they get to retain their holdback.

TripleB

Reaction score
Some deals are in the red (loss leaders). More common at the end of the month when a dealer needs to make a sales goal. i've seen it actually in some deals I've made in previous years.

Rebates are sparse in the Limited's. FCA knows that people will buy them regardless.

I am quite surprised that they offered 10% off Laramies last month. Maybe the needed to move excess inventory.

Your deal was definitely structured weird, but its clearer now.

Enjoy the Limited!
One thing over the years that I’ve heard I guess is one of the reasons why they say you get better deals at the end of the month is dealerships take out loans on the cars they are selling. Eventually said too they do what they gotta do to get rid of them

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might have to do with the financing. Looks better to the bank that the borrower is putting more money down versus just getting a good deal on a vehicle.

slatersan

Reaction score
In the OP's case, I have to wonder why a dealer would want to give such a high trade-in value for a used vehicle (RAM), just to turn around to sell it for a profit (have to mark it up), when you could have probably purchased a new one (with rebates and dealer discounts) for the SAME amount. Unless that dealer was desperate for a sale and willing to be in the red (this does happen, but not often), I can't see the reality of it. I'd love to see that bill of sale (but no one ever posts those after claiming their "big deal".)
The answer is bc they bent him over on the price of what he bought.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Might have to do with the financing. Looks better to the bank that the borrower is putting more money down versus just getting a good deal on a vehicle.
Dealers do all kinda tricks to defeat the system sometimes. I signed a rebate form blank one time...no telling how the dealer filled that out... but I didn't care, since I got the rebates I was supposed to.

TripleB

Reaction score
The answer is bc they bent him over on the price of what he bought.
BS. it does not mater how you get to the number. Its either msrp is discounted or not and trade in is high or not. I really do not care if anyone thinks i got a good deal or not. These trucks are definitely higher cost in some areas vs other areas of the country.
I negotiated the best i could at a local dealer that is not my first choice to buy from. They gave me $14 k more than the market value is for my trade. Not to mention it needed a new bumper and repair to the tailgate.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! She is beautiful!

I have seen many deals like this, so for financing, it makes the process smoother for the approval of the loan and they still are giving the customer a good deal, so in the end, who cares how the dealership processed the deal, the customer is happy and they moved a new unit. Win Win

slatersan

Reaction score
BS. it does not mater how you get to the number. Its either msrp is discounted or not and trade in is high or not. I really do not care if anyone thinks i got a good deal or not. These trucks are definitely higher cost in some areas vs other areas of the country.
I negotiated the best i could at a local dealer that is not my first choice to buy from. They gave me $14 k more than the market value is for my trade. Not to mention it needed a new bumper and repair to the tailgate.
I answered someone's question as to why the dealer could possibly give you so much for your trade. The answer is bc you got bent over on purchase price. You are right that it doesn't matter how you get to the number as long as you're happy with it, but the answer to 'why did they give so much in trade' is undeniably "bc you paid at/near MSRP."

Congrats on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/