5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good tires for towing

Tymeks

Reaction score
will be putting that exact tire on mine saturday. got them for $180.00 a tire at discount tire after all the rebates. 275/65 r 18 123 load rating.
Nice, I’d love to hear your before and after thoughts on feeling the real life difference between the two.

Tymeks

Reaction score
How much money? 🤣😉 That Horizon has a nice tongue weight but that’s not really the concern regarding the Duelers, the 2400BH is 10 feet longer, a foot and a half taller, and dry it weighs 2500 pounds more than the Horizon. By the numbers the Duelers can handle the weight but it’s the sway concern mainly with the side profile of the camper combined with the higher weight. ( not tongue weight, I mean gvw )

Certainly wouldn’t hurt OP to do a test run with the duelers before pulling the trigger on a set of tires, at least that’s what I would do in their situation.
Yeah, that’s the plan. My test run will be to the scales. I’ve come to realize that I’ll be pretty close on the numbers ( scaled numbers ) and so I’m going to scale it to see if I’m even within weight with the whole thing before I go and put new ties one. If I am within weight, ( or just close enough ) then I’m going to make the switch. If I’m too far over, then forget about it, I’ll just have to get a new truck.

But for future search ability, It would be great to real world feedback on the before and after experiences of switching tires

Tymeks

Reaction score
Update here. I did end up getting the Coopers. They ride really well. But I haven’t aired them up to max yet as I haven’t towed with them yet.
But, I do have a question…

what’s the max PSI the factory rims and valve stem can handle? I currently have them at 55 and everything is fine. But when I go tow, I want to air them up. What’s the max the casting and valve can handle?

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think the wheels or valve stems will be the weak point. I believe you will reach max tire pressure before those fail.

Also, why do you have them inflated to 55? There really is no reason to inflate them that high. I inflate mine to 55 when towing my fully loaded travel trailer. When not towing I deflate them to 40 front and 36 rear. Makes for a much more comfortable ride. At 55 you will be sacrificing A LOT of comfort for virtually NO payback.

Tymeks

Reaction score
Honestly, it’s not that bad for me. 55 psi is fine. For me it’s a truck and I don’t mind the slightly stiffer ride.

But I could have sworn I saw a picture of the max psi stamp on the casting being 65 or so, but I can’t find it. :( I went out and looked and I didn’t see anything stamped in the casting itself that I could see.

As well, I’m also pretty sure the factory valve stems can’t handle 80 psi themselves. But I truly don’t know. I was hoping someone knew.

41magmag41

Reaction score
finally got around to getting the geolanders on my Ram 1500. I feel no difference between the load rating 116 falkins and the load rating 123 geolanders. I think the geolanders have just a tad better ride. will see how it goes.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update here. I did end up getting the Coopers. They ride really well. But I haven’t aired them up to max yet as I haven’t towed with them yet.
But, I do have a question…
Did you end up towing with them?

We upgraded to a bigger camper (6880 lbs loaded) and I'm looking at new tires sooner rather than later.

Looking at E-rated KO2s, but interested in other options as well.

Tymeks

Reaction score
Did you end up towing with them?

We upgraded to a bigger camper (6880 lbs loaded) and I'm looking at new tires sooner rather than later.

Looking at E-rated KO2s, but interested in other options as well.
I did yeah. They tow great for sure. I will say I’ve towed a bunch since then and it feels great. I have the ProPride hitch and with everything I’ve done, it’s one-hand driving while towing. A really good, easy experience overall.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did yeah. They tow great for sure. I will say I’ve towed a bunch since then and it feels great. I have the ProPride hitch and with everything I’ve done, it’s one-hand driving while towing. A really good, easy experience overall.
Nice. I ended up going with the Cooper AT3 E rated tires and they made an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread