5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Times

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m very particular about my truck. I park away from everyone so I don’t get door dings, keep it in the garage as much as possible, keep it very clean etc. Had it one year, and no door dings. But, the other day, at work, the lawn crew mowed near my truck with their zero turn mower and peppered the driver’s side of my truck with rocks. One rock went through my driver’s side rear window and shattered it. There where no dents, just lots of small chips. Luckily, their insurance company is paying to have it all repaired. The only paint that wasn’t damaged was the front fender. Besides that, the entire driver’s side has to be repainted. Dropped it off at the body shop yesterday. I’m really bummed to have to have my truck repainted. Hopefully I won’t be able to notice.

jkm312

Reaction score
A good body shop will clean it up for you. Paint matching technology these days is remarkable. Your year old truck won't have too much sun damage by the sounds of it.

Hopefully Burger King will have better luck with the operator learning a new career.

Sorry to hear of your mishap. None of us like these kinds of stories.

U

User_3336

A good body shop will clean it up for you. Paint matching technology these days is remarkable. Your year old truck won't have too much sun damage by the sounds of it.

Hopefully Burger King will have better luck with the operator learning a new career.

Sorry to hear of your mishap. None of us like these kinds of stories.
Where did BURGER KING come into play here? Did I miss something?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get so irritated when people mowing their lawns have the discharge chute facing the road. My wife's car got hit by a rock from a guy mowing roadside. I know yours wasn't that exact scenario, but its the same idea. Did they have insurance to cover it?

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks - a reputable mowing company would know better than to face the discharge towards a vehicle or even a sidewalk. That's extra cleanup they don't need and in this case no respect for personal property. I get fired up when my lawn guy let's clippings fly in my driveway... could not imagine going through your scenario.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
We all wait for and dread that first ding. My most memorable first ding was quite a few years ago. I was at a buddy's house and parked my 3 day old Jeep in front of his house, another buddy showed up and parked behind me leaving at least a car length between us. A student driver turns the corner and hits his car pushing it into the back of my Jeep.

As others have said, the way you babied your truck, the body shop should have no problem matching it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We all wait for and dread that first ding. My most memorable first ding was quite a few years ago. I was at a buddy's house and parked my 3 day old Jeep in front of his house, another buddy showed up and parked behind me leaving at least a car length between us. A student driver turns the corner and hits his car pushing it into the back of my Jeep.

As others have said, the way you babied your truck, the body shop should have no problem matching it.
I knew a guy that would go out when he got home with a new truck and hit it in several places with a hammer so he would "pre-ding" it and not feel bad about the first ding. But he was an idiot :ROFLMAO: . With any driver, best thing to do is just come to peace with the fact that it's going to happen and anything can be fixed if you're willing to spend the money. In fact, rolling down to the PDR guy with a several year-old vehicle with dings, getting them all taken out, then a high-quality interior detail is the quickest way to feeling like you have a new truck again without spending a boatload of money.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
String trimmers can be dangerous, too.

My previous 2014 Ram was seriously damaged by the guys who use the string trimmer close to the driveway. The operators would angle the trimmer head so as to catch a lot of dirt and small stones.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053727 miles.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I got the truck back about 3 weeks ago, and they did a great job. Then, I went into the garage this past Sunday and found this. The truck was just sitting in the garage and there is nothing anywhere around the truck. It looks like it broke at the bottom where it’s mounted. I figure it was a bad window or it was mounted incorrectly. I returned it to them today to get it fixed. When the glass fell out, it chipped the paint in a couple of places. So, door paint has to be fixed again. Geez!

14178A8E-8061-4352-B4E5-E11244984D3D.jpeg 9D88C292-0FDB-4D8E-B512-457F27FB88B4.jpeg 0ADFE9C5-49F8-4158-A74B-763AD5155F22.jpeg

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I got the truck back about 3 weeks ago, and they did a great job. Then, I went into the garage this past Sunday and found this. The truck was just sitting in the garage and there is nothing anywhere around the truck. It looks like it broke at the bottom where it’s mounted. I figure it was a bad window or it was mounted incorrectly. I returned it to them today to get it fixed. When the glass fell out, it chipped the paint in a couple of places. So, door paint has to be fixed again. Geez!

View attachment 103357 View attachment 103358 View attachment 103359
Didn't someone else on this board have this problem recently? Seems like I remember a thread about a rear window shattering.

I've noticed when I shut the rear door (firmly, not slamming) that the door sounds solid, but the window sounds a little "loose?" It's true for either back door. Obviously, yours was just sitting in a garage, but I wonder if there's something related.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
For those with SUV’s: I’ve had the tailgate button accidentally activate on the fab in my pocket. The gate stopped against the garage door. Indoor access to the garage was in the back so you can’t really see it and the garage opener was located on the frame of that door. Left a scratch over the paint and tail light of my month old Jeep. I don’t think anyone noticed, but I knew it was there and it bothered me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/