5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good price on used 2019 Laramie?

rickj

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Only my second thread, but I've been lurking here for quite a while gathering intel on the 2019 Ram 1500. I had been thinking about buying a late model 4th Gen, but have decided that it makes much more sense to get the 5th Gen.

At any rate, I can't afford a new one (and am appalled at how much these trucks go for), so I've been looking at used 2019s. Surprisingly, there are quite a few on the market. However, with the myriad of packages and individual options available finding one that is exactly what I'm looking for is highly unlikely. Looking for a Laramie with some upgrades, and the main package that I really want and which seems to be very uncommon is the off-road package. That being said I just found one that is has everything I want - except color - but I can live with that. It also has the 12" screen and panoramic moon roof which I hadn't planned on. I'd like to get some opinions on what a good price is for this used truck.

The Highlights:
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
4X4
Mileage: 6500
5.7 V8 (not eTorque)
Off-road package (skid plates, 1" lift, etc.)
3.92 rear axle
e-locker rear
Panoramic sunroof
12" screen with nav
Heated second row seats
33 gallon tank
19 speaker Harman Kardon system
Single disk CD
Suround view camera
Blind spot and cross path detection
Trailer brake control
Parksense F&R
Bedliner

As far as packages I think it has the off-road group, Level 2 equipment group, advanced safety group, and bed utility group. I think that MSRP on a new one like this would be $59,370, and KBB shows it with a fair market value of $42,095 to $45,780.

The dealer was asking $43,991 and just dropped it to $42,991. I was going to try to be patient and get one in about 6 months when the 2020s are out and was hoping to spend about $38K (realistic?) - but I'm not sure I'd be able to find one equipped the way I want it.

Opinions much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Jagtyson

Reaction score
You have seen on the msrp threads that a loaded new Laramie should be approx. $10 to $13,000 off msrp depending on the dealers time of the month. Mine was $11,500 or about 22% off when I purchased in December. That would put you around $47 - $48,000 if it were new. Figure $.25 a mile depreciation or -$1,500 ish and your at $45,500...

You could make a strong case that if it is not Ivory white and doesn't have Tow mirrors the dealer has it priced pretty good and it might be possible to get another $1,000 off. Also it should now have a 5 year 70,000 mile or more warranty as a used ram.

It sounds like a great deal.

Last edited:

kbUSMC2012

Reaction score
That seems like a pretty good deal to me. However, just remember that two types of people typically trade in brand new vehicles. Those that are fickle and have the money to burn, and those that have a lot of problems and can’t stand it. Hopefully you don’t end up with truck #2. However, if it’s under warranty there’s a little less to worry about.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Find the VIN from that truck, register on mopaR.com, and put VIN as ours, you will get original window sticker, and maybe more.

Wheeler

Reaction score
You can find much better deal on new one if don't care about panoramic sunroof.
If you are in Northern California Hoblit dodge in Woodland CA have great price on 2019 Laramie 37350 plus TTL.

rickj

Reaction score
You can find much better deal on new one if don't care about panoramic sunroof.
If you are in Northern California Hoblit dodge in Woodland CA have great price on 2019 Laramie 37350 plus TTL.

Thanks, Wheeler. I looked at Hoblit Dodge and the deals on new 1500s was comparable to many other dealerships I've seen. The volume dealership down here is SoCal seems to be Huntington Beach Dodge, and its prices seemed a bit lower than Hoblit. Basically, the discount they offer is larger than other dealerships I've seen.

I've learned to careful when looking at the price, as the price dealers display as the selling prices sometimes assumes you qualify for all the rebates. In actuality, I could not qualify for most of them.

At any rate, thanks for the tip!

rickj

Reaction score
That seems like a pretty good deal to me. However, just remember that two types of people typically trade in brand new vehicles. Those that are fickle and have the money to burn, and those that have a lot of problems and can’t stand it. Hopefully you don’t end up with truck #2. However, if it’s under warranty there’s a little less to worry about.

Good points. I actually don't know why the original owner only kept the truck for 9 months. It appears that he traded the truck into the Ford dealership where it's now for sale.

I think we're close to making a decision to buy the truck for about $42,500. Based on my research and feedback from folks on this site, I think it's a deal that I can live with. It's actually not only about the price, but the fact that this truck has everything that I want such as the off-road package and the 3.92 rear axle ratio. It also has a few extras that I didn't plan on such as the 12" uConnect system, 33 gallon tank, premium sound, and panoramic sunroof. If I don't get this truck I may not find another used one that is so close to what I'm looking for.

As Jagtyson pointed out, if I ordered this truck new the price would be upwards of $47K to $48K. From what I've read I think it would probably be closer to $50K. If we assume that I could get a comparable new one for $48K, I'm getting a $5500 discount in exchange for the 6500 miles it has on it. A decent trade, I think. Since I'm in Kalifornia, that's also $480 is sales tax (8.75%) that I ave by spending less on the purchase price.

I think I'm talking myself into buying this truck...

Lonestar21

Reaction score
As stated above I would think about it twice before buying used as the truck is too new to be on the used market it can be a bad one and most likely someone got rid of it because of issues. I’ve read people just getting rid of it take a loss and go to another brand because their issues with the truck which matches with what you said someone trading it in for a Ford.
If you do your research you should be able to find something close to what your looking for and still for a great price with dealer discounts and the rebates ram offers. You can buy new for the price of 42k. That 5k discount deal in exchange of 6500k miles you think your getting is not good, you get better discounts buying brand new.

Good luck

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Good points. I actually don't know why the original owner only kept the truck for 9 months. It appears that he traded the truck into the Ford dealership where it's now for sale.

I think we're close to making a decision to buy the truck for about $42,500. Based on my research and feedback from folks on this site, I think it's a deal that I can live with. It's actually not only about the price, but the fact that this truck has everything that I want such as the off-road package and the 3.92 rear axle ratio. It also has a few extras that I didn't plan on such as the 12" uConnect system, 33 gallon tank, premium sound, and panoramic sunroof. If I don't get this truck I may not find another used one that is so close to what I'm looking for.

As Jagtyson pointed out, if I ordered this truck new the price would be upwards of $47K to $48K. From what I've read I think it would probably be closer to $50K. If we assume that I could get a comparable new one for $48K, I'm getting a $5500 discount in exchange for the 6500 miles it has on it. A decent trade, I think. Since I'm in Kalifornia, that's also $480 is sales tax (8.75%) that I ave by spending less on the purchase price.

I think I'm talking myself into buying this truck...
Rickj....as I said in my previous reply: the price is great if it is not ivory or white and doesn't have tow mirrors. Everything else can be addressed easily through warranty and if it is certified used you should have an extended warranty. If not ask for one.
My first 2019 new Laramie was purchased in December and had such terrible paint issues that my dealer ordered me a new granite Laramie that showed up 2 months later. I drove my Original ivory until the new showed up and has 2700 miles on it 4 sale at my dealer for $42k (I originally paid $38.5k) My original msrp was only $50k so your paying a couple k more on a 9k more truck is super. If your paint matches go to your nearest Ram service with the vin# and have them pull the repair history.

Call the original owner. The ford dealer should help you with that or give to an extended warranty if they won't.

It is a great deal if you cover the bases.

Attachments

• 20190105_154645.jpg
    20190105_154645.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20181211_171941.jpg
    20181211_171941.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Cannonball

Reaction score
Not every early 19 RAM was a lemon. The vast majority were problem free. Forums always bias towards the negative no matter what brand they're talking about.

I vote great deal! You just let someone else eat the fastest depreciating miles the truck will ever see.

Make sure the recalls are done via checking the vin. Do your dd on here to find out the major issues identified (brake squeal, ac, stereo, roof leaks, etc) and inspect it for each. Good luck and nice find!

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For Southern California volume dealerships, take a look at Hunter out in Palmdale/Lancaster. Easily one of the largest inventories in SoCal with decent discounts. They just opened a whole separate RAM center late last year.

Users who are viewing this thread