5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good mpg with 3.21

Moparluver

Reaction score
So, I haven't seen a whole lot of good reports on the fuel mileage, so I thought I would share my experience so far. I've got a crew cab 4-wheel drive with 321 gears. Just ticked over a thousand miles today, and did a 75 mi round trip on the interstate. I had some stop and go through town on both ends of the trip, but it was probably 90% highway.

With the cruise set at 75, I averaged 21 miles to the gallon on the computer. Unfortunately my wife drives it everyday so I haven't been able to check it at the pump yet, but assuming that's within a few percent, color me impressed. My average was slowly gaining, even at the end of the trip. Pretty sure if we would have gone a couple more hours, we would have ended up at 22.x mpg. This is all on rolling hills with no wind.

I'm guessing once this thing breaks in a little more, I oughta see a slight improvement still. I was comparing the oil temperature from this one, to my old one, and this one is about 15 degrees hotter. Assuming all else is the same, that tells me the motor is still pretty tight.

The 2011 in the same configuration that I just traded in if I drove it in the same conditions, would have been about 30% worse then this one. Now the old truck was leveled in the front, I know for sure that took at least 2 mpg away on the highway.

In town, my wife has been averaging mid 16, it's not all stop and go, but there's a decent bit of that.

I haven't looked yet, so don't flame me for it, but does anybody know if Eco is displayed when MDS kicks on? I haven't seen it yet. Do you have to configure that on the display?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Actually if you search the many other mpg threads you’ll find many a 3.21 owner reporting in the low 20’s highway. 3.92 mot as much but they pretty much knew that already.

Moparluver

Reaction score
Actually if you search the many other mpg threads you’ll find many a 3.21 owner reporting in the low 20’s highway. 3.92 mot as much but they pretty much knew that already.
I see. Those good reports are all but burried. Just hoping to elevate some good news!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I can manage low to mid 20s during interstate drives, but what really kills the mpg is driving around small towns without many stops. 25-35 mph roads with bends and hills are what push mine down. I've hand calculated every single fill up and my lowest was 13.68 on winter blend with lots of remote start and only town driving. Best was 2 fill-ups ago roughly 85% highway (still went through the hills up and down the drive) and it was 18.9.

I noticed the ECO light turn on a lot more after the initial few thousand miles and can tell you it turns on more on the same roads using 93 than it does 89.

Users who are viewing this thread