5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Information

Lineman52

Reaction score
I just joined the site. I have owned 4 Rams, this makes my 5th. I have 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi and from what I have read I shouldn't be to concerned that my ECO light rarely comes on, I only have 250 miles on it. I read some very good suggestions on how to work the MDS, guess on my other trucks it was off. I'm getting really crappy miles per gallon right now and most are highway miles. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group on how to get better gas mileage and if doing all the programming and things will effect my warranty. Thanks!

Newbrunny

Reaction score
I read in another post that many did not see the ECO light for their first xxx kms/miles. In my case I rarely saw the ECO displayed for the first 1000km. Now I see it quite often. Not sure whether this is some sort of break-in period or if I just learned how to drive it after the first 1000km...

Welcome to the site. Agree great info here.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drive the truck, you won’t see any real mileage until you hit the 3000 mile mark or better.
The truck is running a rich break in tune from my experience. I just rolled over 4500 miles the ECO lamp Illumimates very frequently.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
For what it's worth, my truck has about 1800 miles on it. The eco light comes on very frequently (i drive like a grandpa) and I have noticed it right away even in the first month of owning the truck.

Have you tried checking whether the eco indicator light is set to show? By default it was off in my settings.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome!! Glad you joined us.
SAs statements about, I agree. Wide range of mileage for eco mode kicking in.
My focus and thought to you is use what manufacture asked for “break in” . I saw highway miles... so I still would focus on higher gears with heavy loads so to speak if that’s all your running . All the other techy stuff will come soon. Main concern is good quality break in of powertrain.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I just joined the site. I have owned 4 Rams, this makes my 5th. I have 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi and from what I have read I shouldn't be to concerned that my ECO light rarely comes on, I only have 250 miles on it. I read some very good suggestions on how to work the MDS, guess on my other trucks it was off. I'm getting really crappy miles per gallon right now and most are highway miles. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group on how to get better gas mileage and if doing all the programming and things will effect my warranty. Thanks!

Post up your truck stats in your signature, will help others see what your working with.

PTRAM

Reaction score
One thing I learned on this forum is not to set your highest gear to 8 as I did for awhile just to see what speed the gears were shifting at. That keeps the ECO from working from what I read on here. I have less than 800 miles on mine and I did an economy test drive of 45 miles and left the heavy foot at home but it was city with 43 signal lights (not that I am particular) and some stretches of open highway. Anyhow, I got 19.2 MPG on this easy foot run. I have had many Rams in the past and I could never get more than 12 or 13 MPG but more regularly 10 MPG or less. My ECO comes on between lights in town going at 30 MPH many times when I am really restraining from driving like I like too. It stays on for long stretches on the highway unless I am going down or up a hill. I assume going down since I have the cruise on that down shifting would turn the ECO off.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I turned the ECO light on at the dealer when I was doing the inspection. It came on when I drove it off the lot with 35km's on it so it isn't mileage dependant.

James1414d

Reaction score

I was Seriously worried about my milage as well the first few tanks. It was reading 11.5mpg. I have 2200ish miles now and use the fuelly app to get an accurate measurement. Im now at 16mpg with plenty of city.
Give it some break in time I would suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread