5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good fuel economy

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
5.7 without etorque and 4WD.

I gassed up last week but just putted around running errands. Mileage screen was showing 16.4 mpg. Monday went to visit my brother, roughly 230 miles away. The mpg slowly crept up. On some occasions -- stop-n-go in a construction zone and climbing hills -- the mileage started to drop, but when I pulled into his yard I was reading 20.5 mpg. Pretty impressive, huh?

I made one short trip to a store yesterday morning, and the mileage really took a hit because it was really cold and it was all city driving. Then we went to dinner and I had to show off the hemi a little. (My brother has a classic with the 3.6.) That dinged the mpg some. Topped off the tank but didn't reset the trip odometer. After about 60 miles this morning, I was back up to 20.5. It kept slowly improving and peaked at 21.2 mpg. That's when I hit a three mile backup crawling along about 10 mph due to a brush fire along the shoulder. Which was out by the time we passed, anyway. Grrr. And then the usual Los Angeles traffic, aggravated by extra traffic caused by detours and road closures due to fires.

I finished off at 20.4 mpg over 489 miles. Not too shabby!

taz2016

Reaction score
If you want to impress someone with mileage please hand calculate so we know the claimed mileage is accurate. I've only ever had one vehicle of dozens (Acura) that was fairly accurate. My Ram's computer consistently overstates the mpg by 1 to 1.5 mpg. I have even more serious doubts about the my Ram's running average.

R

Rob5589

Mine gets about the same under similar driving conditions. Hand calculated, for the skeptical folks :D

sman301

Reaction score
Mine is the same. Hand calculated.

sman301 sman301 sman301

d19r93

Reaction score
Mine only seems to get good mpg when on the highway. Around town it's down around 12.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have some other trucks to remember mpg by... A 76‘ Chev 2500 with the 292 six and 4.56 gears got 11. A 78‘ F250 with a 390 and 4.10’s got a steady 8-8.5. A 77’’ GMC 1 ton with a 400 and 4.10’s got 10 on its best day.

None of those trucks (all 4x4) had more than 265 hp. Now I have a hemi with 395 hp, all the comfort in the world (it seems) and it gets a steady 18-21 highway. Now we won’t talk price, payload or ease of repair but still, it’s a very good mileage truck compared to what I used to have.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Good to know Ill be making a trip from FL to west TX next week it'll be the first road trip in the new truck.

Users who are viewing this thread