5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good-bye, my Ram is sold, new toy in the driveway.

Ramjack

Reaction score
If it's supposed to be environmentally friendly then why so much power? This seems to contradict the foundation of going green
Because people were not getting excited about Chevy Volts and Nissan Leafs. That's why Tesla has designed powerful vehicles. I agree with you BTW. Just saying that apparently nobody is going to buy EV's if they are too boring.

Last edited:

Ramjack

Reaction score
Congrats, not a hater in any way, but the screen looks like a large I-pad glued to the dash.
That's what Teslas look like as well, not to mention the SpaceX Dragon manned vehicle. Elon Musk doesn't care about whether the spacecraft has redundancies built in (i.e. backup switches), he just wants the interior to look the way Steve Jobs would have wanted it. I have a lot of respect for what Elon Musk is doing, but running the Dragon off glorified iPads sounds like a bad idea.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Congrats, not a hater in any way, but the screen looks like a large I-pad glued to the dash.
The big stick out screens are becoming common though. My sister just got an Nissan Altima. Damn thing just sticks out right in the way.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m surprised... your happy with the Ranger, I have a rental work truck Ranger while in Guam and wow I hate everything about this thing. Can’t wait till I’m back in my Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I did something similar few weeks ago. Not as drastic going from a truck to a car. But went from a full size truck to a compact. Ram/Dodge doesn't sell a compact truck any longer. There was the Colorado, the Canyon, the Ranger, The Frontier. I don't think I missed anyone....

Didn't like the Colorado, interior was too plain, didn't like ONSTAR, didn't like how the spare tire hangs down , ride was a bit bouncy. Didn't like the seats. Plus was the V6.
Canyon was mostly like the Colorado. It did have a little better ride, but the "GM" logo on it added several thousands over the Colorado.
Frontier has been around for ages, definitely dated. the new 3.8 V6 with the 9 speed was nice. Didn't want to wait for the remake for the 2022 Model year.

So that left the Ranger. Kept it for a day. Was a little leary about a 4-cylinder in a truck (although Colorado and Frontier did as well). But with the ecoboost and turbo in the truck, this thing can get up and move.
Ride was smooth in 18 Michelin tires. Interior was the nicest of all three other contenders. Stylish, comfortable, 8 inch touchscreen with technology, tons of safety features such as front end collision warning blind spot detection, bumper sensors, lane monitoring, auto hi-beam headlights. Its simply the right size for maneuvering around, easy to park, and it fits in the garage perfect and I can still walk around. SYNC is a bit better than UCONNECT, and you don't have to pay a subscription to keep using the remote access features.
Oil filter and oil drain plug is easy accessible for diy oil changes.

I got an insane amount for my 2020 Ram $4,000 over what I paid for it. (dealers/carvana/vroom are paying TOP dollar for newer model year trucks). I also got a fantastic deal on the 21 Ranger as well. Truck Month rebates, rebate cash, aged inventory cash, and a farm bureau discount (4500 in rebates). Snagged the Ranger for $29,000! I walked away smiling big with a very sizeable check coming my way!!

So, i'll probably still hang out in the forums for a while still here, sharing my experience on the Ram, and helping answering questions I might have answers to. I'm sure there will be a FEW glad to see me go. Personalities will clash on every message board, but for the most part, this is a pretty good group of folks on this forum who share ideas, tips and tricks, and their personal experiences.

P.S. I only lost $150 on my Mopar Max Care ESP, and got a refund quickly. (I think ZEIGLER still has the best price on any ESP plan! :) :cool: )

Here's a pic of my new beauty.
View attachment 94819 View attachment 94820
Question: why? What does the Ranger do that the Ram didn't do? Was it a question of too big for the garage or parking lot, just didn't like the way a full-size drives, or that the Ram was too expensive overall?

U

User_3336

Question: why? What does the Ranger do that the Ram didn't do? Was it a question of too big for the garage or parking lot, just didn't like the way a full-size drives, or that the Ram was too expensive overall?
A compact truck is just more maneuverable, fits in the garage better with room to walk around, gets much better gas mileage (26.1mpg to date), was a hell of a lot cheaper, still tows, and is still a "truck" for what light utility I do.

AND, I left with a substantial chunk of cash!!!

U

User_3336

I’m surprised... your happy with the Ranger, I have a rental work truck Ranger while in Guam and wow I hate everything about this thing. Can’t wait till I’m back in my Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What are your "hate" points? I have found nothing negative about this truck in 700 miles.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A compact truck is just more maneuverable, fits in the garage better with room to walk around, gets much better gas mileage (26.1mpg to date), was a hell of a lot cheaper, still tows, and is still a "truck" for what light utility I do.

AND, I left with a substantial chunk of cash!!!
All makes sense - which leads to my next question, why did you buy a Ram in the first place? Was this your first foray into the world of trucks, or some other reason?

U

User_3336

All makes sense - which leads to my next question, why did you buy a Ram in the first place? Was this your first foray into the world of trucks, or some other reason?
i've had several full size trucks in the past including the RAM, of course, a Nissan Titan, and a Silverado (lease).
I'm getting older, I'm considering selling the house and moving into an apt, so the utility of a full size truck isn't of importance now.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
i've had several full size trucks in the past including the RAM, of course, a Nissan Titan, and a Silverado (lease).
I'm getting older, I'm considering selling the house and moving into an apt, so the utility of a full size truck isn't of importance now.
Did you not consider the new Ridgeline or the Tacoma? Granted you would pay more but the new Ridgeline is getting great reviews. If I could find one I'd probably trade today.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I have an interest in an EV, retiring in 3 years 338 days, but whos counting. I will consider them then. My concern is the speed at which the technology is advancing. I know as soon as I commit I will have buyers remorse the next year, as the range is increased the charge times lowered. It will be that way every year, while I'm not poor I can't afford a new one every year or two. I guess I could consider leasing, I have never been a fan of long term car rental however.

U

User_3336

Not a Ford hater at all. Just not a fan of the Ranger styling.. It’s just not for me...however, I don’t have to pay for it!
I had plenty of money to pay for it, and a big fat hunk went in the bank. To each his own.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You're right, the TACO. I felt like I was missing one. Price and incentives on Toyota's are never worthwhile for me.
You're right on that. I was looking at a 4 Runner for the wife. Limited choices and MSRP or higher. This was when Rams had great deals.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
I just bought a Mach-E as well. To replace our minivan,though, not my Ram!! It’s a sweet car and this EV thing is pretty cool. The instant torque and never needing to buy gas is great. We also have a little Subaru, so between the 3 vehicles, we’re averaging fairly decent average MPG as a family. :)

I’m 6’4” tall, so the Ram is much more comfortable for me. I can drive the Mach-E just around town and short rides, but wouldn’t want to do a road trip in it (even ignoring the fast charging issues).

Anyway, I’ve had my 2020 Laramie for about 17 months now, and still love it like it‘s my first day of ownership.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
OP, congrats. I’m thinking, like it or not, electric vehicles are the future. I just read an article about the new Hummer. A 9,000 vehicle that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds! I impressed with the Ford F-150 electric truck, hope Ram follows suite. My DIL just purchased a Tesla. I’m very impressed with her EV. One thing I thought was neat is available options after purchase. ie, if you want heated seats or whatever, you pay for them and get a software upgrade. And yeah, her touch screen looks like a huge iPad hanging on the dash but it looks like it could be very easily upgraded when the time comes. And the touchscreen pretty much controls the car.

Last edited:

nburd

Reaction score
It’s been a great year on this forum. I have enjoyed viewing and participating daily. You have all been very helpful and kind. I do hope I have helped at least a few. Now that my Ram is gone, I will not monitor this forum (OK I will check in a few times weekly I am sure).

Since we sold to a dealer with several car lines, and since they offered more than Vroom and even more than I paid last year, If I purchased something else at any branch, I got a waiver on sales tax. We were going to take the cash and wait, buy a beater, but while driving by another branch of the dealer about 1 hour away on Monday , I noticed about 6 new mustang Mach-E’s. I thought they were back order for months and really had little interest. We stopped and asked to take one for a spin.

Apparently a Solar company ordered 10 and ended up only taking 4. The dealer got them a few weeks back and was selling at MSRP. No gouging. Of course you can count all of the Maine DC fast chargers on two hands and the closest is 1 hour South of the Dealer (2 hours from me) , so they only sold one so far.

They offered up a loaner to drive so the wife and I went for a 30 minute spin. We were quite impressed. We already own one EV and my company recently installed free chargers so we pondered the idea of having two, knowing there is no fuel costs.

We talked with the dealer and did some research and found there were about $12,100 in incentives right now as well as a Ford Options Financing plan tailored for EVs. Finally no tax. So, I spoke with the sales guy again and he offered the loaner for another 2 days for nothing. I guess he thought I was interested. I took the offer and put about 300 miles on it. It self parks, parallel and side by side, has following adaptive cruise, lane keep, full led lighting and a 15.5” screen. In another few months full hands free self driving via a download on the highways, plus a 200+ mile range. Complete silence in the interior. I thought my Ram was quiet. A true keyless entry using your phone and 3 others and everything tailors to the driver. It also has 468 foot pounds of instant torque, holy moly. 0-60 in 5-2.

We took delivery of a new 2021 Mach-E AWD today. A lower payment, shorter term, than my Ram and a $300 per month savings on gas. Insurance was only a few hundred difference per year. Plus with the Ford Options, if it turns out to be a dud, like Chevy Bolt values, with battery fires, or an unreliable mess, battery degradation, you can walk away from the loan after 3 or 4 years, your choice, like a lease.

So we will be on the Mach E forums and learning a lot about it over the next few months. Thank you all! The Ram is a great truck and who knows, the electric Ram is coming soon.....

View attachment 94297 View attachment 94318
So just an update on the Mach E if anyone cares (I know a few did). My range has been 256 miles (rated for 211) per charge for my All Wheel Drive Standard Range. Zero reliability issues (so far) and now 3600 miles ( in 8 weeks). Average of 3.9 Mi/kWh efficiency, That equates to 132 MPGe (Energy to Energy).

So if I had to buy the power, at home, for $0.17/kWh, it would equate to 71 MPG for a gas car with mid grade gas at $3.50/gallon.

But since power is free at work (for now) it has only cost me $93 for home power for that 3600 Miles, so that equals $0.00027 per mile or an overall gas car equivalent (gas at $3.50/gallon) of 135 Miles per gallon. With gas what it is ($3.50/gallon), over my 2020 Bighorn, I have saved $370 per month in gas so far.

Yes, I still gawk at those Rams on the road and I have crossed paths with my old truck a few times (since it was sold locally, and it now has a huge freaking white door ding in the passenger side door, when I traded it was perfect) but the Mach E is a decent EV with lots of power, room and great economy.

I hope you all are well... and when gas gets back to pre-election numbers, another RAM may be in my future.

Attachments

• Siblings.jpg
    Siblings.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread