5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good-bye, my Ram is sold, new toy in the driveway.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's actually a really good point. Realistically an electric vehicle that's just designed to carry 2-4 passengers could probably operate just fine on streets with under 100 HP, even with all the safety and creature comfort stuff. A pretty good argument could be made that no one on public roads *needs* to be able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds, and if you're talking about environmental preservation why produce the power for one passenger vehicle that could probably power 3-6 vehicles instead?

I'm not trying to argue either point. I love the environment and I also love having a V8 engine that's not dragging *** when I have it loaded to the gills with construction materials. If there was a reasonable electric truck that could do the same as my Ram without the limitations that exist with electric right now - few charging stations, long wait times, limited range, crazy costs - I wouldn't be against it; nor am I against electric cars that are coming out, as development and utilization will drive the technology so that it can improve. At the same time, the current state and condition of the electric grid is a valid argument that electric proponents need to consider. Our electric grid is highly inefficient, as a large amount of the electricity that is produced just ends up wasted as heat as it's transmitted very long distances. It's a legacy infrastructure designed and built when electric consumption wasn't terribly high and there were more options for local generation (coal, small hydro, etc). The most reasonable switch from gasoline to electric for vehicles would be to first retrofit most/all houses to on-site/community solar generation, in order to eliminate all the transmission loss, and then to move to greater electric car use.
Nice job on the electrical grid - something that seems to be left out of the conversation. This Old House had a show on the various outlets that could be installed in a garage bay and the charge times. It appeared to be four types with various charging times and mileage.
What happens beyond the house wiring when everyone starts putting these in and driving EVs?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice job on the electrical grid - something that seems to be left out of the conversation. This Old House had a show on the various outlets that could be installed in a garage bay and the charge times. It appeared to be four types with various charging times and mileage.
What happens beyond the house wiring when everyone starts putting these in and driving EVs?
What could happen is that realistically neighborhoods could start having brown-outs, where there's not enough supply to satisfy the demand. Depending on where you live I could easily see that happening in the summer in the south/southwest and in the north in the winter, especially in rural areas where generation has to travel long distances and capacity isn't sized for those kinds of loads. In a utopian world, if everyone only charged their vehicles at night, you could probably make what we have work because most of the electric generation grid has difficulty dealing with the high demand loads during the day and the minimal usage at night; you can't just turn electric generation on and off like the kitchen faucet. In reality, people are going to use electricity whenever they need it unless it gets rationed.

The problem is too many people believe in fantasy thinking, that you can have it all, all of the time, and do it without trade offs. Electric cars are not a bad thing, but if someone was really serious about minimizing their own ecological footprint there are a lot of things you can do that blows away buying a Tesla or a Prius:

1. Utilize existing products first: a used car, already here, consumes far less resources than building a brand new car, even if your used car is a 6 MPG land yacht and the new vehicle is a 250 mile range full electric car. The more utilization that can be achieved by something already built, the less resources per unit required for its entire life cycle.

2. Live smaller and lighter: smaller houses, which use less resources to heat, cool, maintain, furnish, repair.

3. Choose your location wisely: someone driving a gas vehicle one mile to work and shopping will consume less resources than someone commuting 30 miles in an electric vehicle.

Unfortunately, in this country we seem to have lost the ability to have serious conversations about anything. If you talk about environmental impact, nuclear is probably the least damaging as a whole, even though it's the most dangerous concentrate, but we can't have a serious talk about it because it evokes knee-jerk reactions. I would take one nuclear plant over 10 coal or natural gas plants or hydro dams any day of the week, but no one wants to get beyond the fear factor. If we want to switch to all electric vehicles, that's fine, but we need to have serious discussions as a society how this switch goes about happening rather than hoping the tail wags the dog.

Jako

Reaction score
What could happen is that realistically neighborhoods could start having brown-outs, where there's not enough supply to satisfy the demand. Depending on where you live I could easily see that happening in the summer in the south/southwest and in the north in the winter, especially in rural areas where generation has to travel long distances and capacity isn't sized for those kinds of loads. In a utopian world, if everyone only charged their vehicles at night, you could probably make what we have work because most of the electric generation grid has difficulty dealing with the high demand loads during the day and the minimal usage at night; you can't just turn electric generation on and off like the kitchen faucet. In reality, people are going to use electricity whenever they need it unless it gets rationed.

The problem is too many people believe in fantasy thinking, that you can have it all, all of the time, and do it without trade offs. Electric cars are not a bad thing, but if someone was really serious about minimizing their own ecological footprint there are a lot of things you can do that blows away buying a Tesla or a Prius:

1. Utilize existing products first: a used car, already here, consumes far less resources than building a brand new car, even if your used car is a 6 MPG land yacht and the new vehicle is a 250 mile range full electric car. The more utilization that can be achieved by something already built, the less resources per unit required for its entire life cycle.

2. Live smaller and lighter: smaller houses, which use less resources to heat, cool, maintain, furnish, repair.

3. Choose your location wisely: someone driving a gas vehicle one mile to work and shopping will consume less resources than someone commuting 30 miles in an electric vehicle.

Unfortunately, in this country we seem to have lost the ability to have serious conversations about anything. If you talk about environmental impact, nuclear is probably the least damaging as a whole, even though it's the most dangerous concentrate, but we can't have a serious talk about it because it evokes knee-jerk reactions. I would take one nuclear plant over 10 coal or natural gas plants or hydro dams any day of the week, but no one wants to get beyond the fear factor. If we want to switch to all electric vehicles, that's fine, but we need to have serious discussions as a society how this switch goes about happening rather than hoping the tail wags the dog.
Very well spoken. Serious conversations are essential to resolve the issues and the ability to give both ways.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very well spoken. Serious conversations are essential to resolve the issues and the ability to give both ways.
Thank you! And the other thing is this: all inefficiencies are someone's job. Every time you improve the efficiency of something, the waste you eliminate generally works out to someone's livelihood. Again, that also may not be a bad thing but something that needs to be discussed in a serious way. It's one of the things people don't understand about manufacturing - even if it comes back (and I think it should come back, as a nation you are in serious peril if you don't make anything yourself), it's not coming back the way it was in 1960. The plants can make twice as many widgets as 1960 with 1/10th the workers because of productivity efficiency enhancements - robotics, computerization, etc. Yes, some people make the robots and service the computers but nowhere near the number that screwed bolts onto panels or ran parts down lines. That also might be fine, but maybe it means society needs to have a 20 hour workweek instead of 40. Or that only one person per household works. And maybe wages rise to compensate, and maybe some of the stuff you buy just has to be more expensive. There's no good answer to any of those questions - they're all trade offs - but just like electric cars, maybe we should do the real work of figuring out what the future looks like instead of waiting for it to happen to us and always working in crisis mode! If electric cars are the future, then maybe there should be surcharges on the vehicles that go directly into funds for upgrading the electrical grid, or retrofitting the existing housing stock for solar, just as an example.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
That's actually a really good point. Realistically an electric vehicle that's just designed to carry 2-4 passengers could probably operate just fine on streets with under 100 HP, even with all the safety and creature comfort stuff. A pretty good argument could be made that no one on public roads *needs* to be able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds, and if you're talking about environmental preservation why produce the power for one passenger vehicle that could probably power 3-6 vehicles instead?

I'm not trying to argue either point. I love the environment and I also love having a V8 engine that's not dragging *** when I have it loaded to the gills with construction materials. If there was a reasonable electric truck that could do the same as my Ram without the limitations that exist with electric right now - few charging stations, long wait times, limited range, crazy costs - I wouldn't be against it; nor am I against electric cars that are coming out, as development and utilization will drive the technology so that it can improve. At the same time, the current state and condition of the electric grid is a valid argument that electric proponents need to consider. Our electric grid is highly inefficient, as a large amount of the electricity that is produced just ends up wasted as heat as it's transmitted very long distances. It's a legacy infrastructure designed and built when electric consumption wasn't terribly high and there were more options for local generation (coal, small hydro, etc). The most reasonable switch from gasoline to electric for vehicles would be to first retrofit most/all houses to on-site/community solar generation, in order to eliminate all the transmission loss, and then to move to greater electric car use.
I agree with you. Wasn't all that long ago we had carb's, then fuel injection came along. Now turbo's are common. We have come a long ways to perfect the combustion engine, I'm not moving on to the new kid on the block for a while, hopefully never.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
For all of you EV supporters out there, the real truth isn’t being discussed.
1. When quoting your gas savings, you fail to mention your increase in electric utility cost.
2. Do you know the truth of what it takes to manufacture a car battery? How much mining of raw material and where it’s done?
3. Do you know that Elon Musk got rich off of tax dollars collected from you and I through federal subsidies to produce EVs that do more damage to the environment during production?

I urge you to watch “Planet of the Humans”. This was produced by Michael Moore who is a Liberal. I’m not a Liberal, or even moderate, but I care about the environment and what we leave behind. I found that documentary to be enlightening.

This isn’t meant to offend anyone with different views, but if you are offended, you’ll get over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I could give a rats *** about the environment, I just think they are cool and want to try one, I don't want them to quit making gas and diesel rigs either.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
Also what you people fail to realize, is how many people can actually afford to buy a new car, maybe 25% of the population? The rest of the people will still drive their clapped out z71 until they die, while I enjoy new technology.

sd2134

Reaction score
I believe going green is the future, however we live in times when a lot of money can be made from green power. I question the the disposal of green products. Currently most the components of a dino fuel vehicle can be and is recycled. If you google the recycling of green products it is a different situation. Look at the wind turbine blades that are not recyclable, solar panels and the EV lithium battery recycling issue, for example. Production of EV batteries is ahead of recycling.

blazenlo

Reaction score
200.gif

Congrats on your new car.👍

jimk hunt

Reaction score
I believe going green is the future, however we live in times when a lot of money can be made from green power. I question the the disposal of green products. Currently most the components of a dino fuel vehicle can be and is recycled. If you google the recycling of green products it is a different situation. Look at the wind turbine blades that are not recyclable, solar panels and the EV lithium battery recycling issue, for example. Production of EV batteries is ahead of recycling.

Also the fact that many of these new technologies and raw materials are made in countries not friendly to the USA. The changeover will happen but 30-50 years is probably more realistic.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Eh. Just dump the stuff in the Pacific. It'll be ok.

Ramgoose

Reaction score

There you go introducing logic and data into what is for most an emotional and ideological decision to buy EV or hybrid. Everyday my V8 powered vehicles have dust kicked on them by rude phone fingering Prius and Pacifica Hybrid drivers that are obviously way more important and in a hurry than me. All the while sporting “ Be Nice” “ Leave the planet better” and my favorite “ “baby on board” as they fly by me consuming 10,000 Giga Watts ! The deal breaker for me though is these go carts are all ugly except the BMW i8.

nburd

Reaction score

Amen! Great conversations BTW. If we had nukes, the environmental issues could be easily managed. Hydrogen fuel, EVs and high efficiency heating systems would prevail. Also the jobs! 1 Plant can employ 1000 people and the trickle down is amazing (Average income of $72K). Also these are billion dollar projects Also the power is cheaper than Solar for sure simply due to the power density and they take a lot less space. Finally it can last more than 20 years, up to 50. Fuels can now be reprocessed. A solar field employs 2 people and covers square miles. It also works at night! I have preached this message so much and very few listen.

nburd

Reaction score
For all of you EV supporters out there, the real truth isn’t being discussed.
1. When quoting your gas savings, you fail to mention your increase in electric utility cost.
2. Do you know the truth of what it takes to manufacture a car battery? How much mining of raw material and where it’s done?
3. Do you know that Elon Musk got rich off of tax dollars collected from you and I through federal subsidies to produce EVs that do more damage to the environment during production?

I urge you to watch “Planet of the Humans”. This was produced by Michael Moore who is a Liberal. I’m not a Liberal, or even moderate, but I care about the environment and what we leave behind. I found that documentary to be enlightening.

This isn’t meant to offend anyone with different views, but if you are offended, you’ll get over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely a great film!!!

U

User_3336

Well, I did something similar few weeks ago. Not as drastic going from a truck to a car. But went from a full size truck to a compact. Ram/Dodge doesn't sell a compact truck any longer. There was the Colorado, the Canyon, the Ranger, The Frontier. I don't think I missed anyone....

Didn't like the Colorado, interior was too plain, didn't like ONSTAR, didn't like how the spare tire hangs down , ride was a bit bouncy. Didn't like the seats. Plus was the V6.
Canyon was mostly like the Colorado. It did have a little better ride, but the "GM" logo on it added several thousands over the Colorado.
Frontier has been around for ages, definitely dated. the new 3.8 V6 with the 9 speed was nice. Didn't want to wait for the remake for the 2022 Model year.

So that left the Ranger. Kept it for a day. Was a little leary about a 4-cylinder in a truck (although Colorado and Frontier did as well). But with the ecoboost and turbo in the truck, this thing can get up and move.
Ride was smooth in 18 Michelin tires. Interior was the nicest of all three other contenders. Stylish, comfortable, 8 inch touchscreen with technology, tons of safety features such as front end collision warning blind spot detection, bumper sensors, lane monitoring, auto hi-beam headlights. Its simply the right size for maneuvering around, easy to park, and it fits in the garage perfect and I can still walk around. SYNC is a bit better than UCONNECT, and you don't have to pay a subscription to keep using the remote access features.
Oil filter and oil drain plug is easy accessible for diy oil changes.

I got an insane amount for my 2020 Ram $4,000 over what I paid for it. (dealers/carvana/vroom are paying TOP dollar for newer model year trucks). I also got a fantastic deal on the 21 Ranger as well. Truck Month rebates, rebate cash, aged inventory cash, and a farm bureau discount (4500 in rebates). Snagged the Ranger for $29,000! I walked away smiling big with a very sizeable check coming my way!!

So, i'll probably still hang out in the forums for a while still here, sharing my experience on the Ram, and helping answering questions I might have answers to. I'm sure there will be a FEW glad to see me go. Personalities will clash on every message board, but for the most part, this is a pretty good group of folks on this forum who share ideas, tips and tricks, and their personal experiences.

P.S. I only lost $150 on my Mopar Max Care ESP, and got a refund quickly. (I think ZEIGLER still has the best price on any ESP plan! :) :cool: )

Here's a pic of my new beauty.
21ranger1.jpg 21ranger3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I did something similar few weeks ago. Not as drastic going from a truck to a car. But went from a full size truck to a compact. Ram/Dodge doesn't sell a compact truck any longer. There was the Colorado, the Canyon, the Ranger, The Frontier. I don't think I missed anyone....

Didn't like the Colorado, interior was too plain, didn't like ONSTAR, didn't like how the spare tire hangs down , ride was a bit bouncy. Didn't like the seats. Plus was the V6.
Canyon was mostly like the Colorado. It did have a little better ride, but the "GM" logo on it added several thousands over the Colorado.
Frontier has been around for ages, definitely dated. the new 3.8 V6 with the 9 speed was nice. Didn't want to wait for the remake for the 2022 Model year.

So that left the Ranger. Kept it for a day. Was a little leary about a 4-cylinder in a truck (although Colorado and Frontier did as well). But with the ecoboost and turbo in the truck, this thing can get up and move.
Ride was smooth in 18 Michelin tires. Interior was the nicest of all three other contenders. Stylish, comfortable, 8 inch touchscreen with technology, tons of safety features such as front end collision warning blind spot detection, bumper sensors, lane monitoring, auto hi-beam headlights. Its simply the right size for maneuvering around, easy to park, and it fits in the garage perfect and I can still walk around. SYNC is a bit better than UCONNECT, and you don't have to pay a subscription to keep using the remote access features.

I got an insane amount for my 2020 Ram $4,000 over what I paid for it. (dealers/carvana/vroom are paying TOP dollar for newer model year trucks). I also got a fantastic deal on the 21 Ranger as well. Truck Month rebates, rebate cash, aged inventory cash, and a farm bureau discount (4500 in rebates). Snagged the Ranger for $29,000! I walked away smiling big with a very sizeable check coming my way!!

So, i'll probably still hang out in the forums for a while still here, sharing my experience on the Ram, and helping answering questions I might have answers to. I'm sure there will be a FEW glad to see me go. Personalities will clash on every message board, but for the most part, this is a pretty good group of folks on this forum who share ideas, tips and tricks, and their personal experiences.

View attachment 94819 View attachment 94820
Looks great! Congratulations!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

P.S. I only lost $150 on my Mopar Max Care ESP, and got a refund quickly. (I think ZEIGLER still has the best price on any ESP plan! :) :cool: )

Rangers have stepped up to be sharp trucks. That one looks good..
I had one back in the day. 2.3l was a dependable 4 banger. Not the turbo 4s of today though.

Hey, you left the Toyota Taco out of the mix.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you’re happy, I’m happy for you. But I would personally never drive that thing!! It

U

User_3336

Rangers have stepped up to be sharp trucks. That one looks good..
I had one back in the day. 2.3l was a dependable 4 banger. Not the turbo 4s of today though.

Hey, you left the Toyota Taco out of the mix.

You're right, the TACO. I felt like I was missing one. Price and incentives on Toyota's are never worthwhile for me.

Users who are viewing this thread