5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good-bye, my Ram is sold, new toy in the driveway.

U

User_3336

Stay tuned for the "Ford Mach-E" message thread coming to a RAM forum near you! LOL

SBrentnall

Reaction score
We have had an EV with a 124 mile range for 2 years. No dead batteries yet. I work/live and shop within a 16 mile range of the house. I am nervous as well, but we shall see.
You could always run an extension cord from the house and plug in each night. 110 will be slow to charge, but it'll give you something at least.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OP, looks like a great move. Honestly if our company put in free charging stations, my big butt would be cruising to work in an electric car. My regular driver is a Town Car. The Ram will be in the mix especially with bad weather.

It looks like everyone has electric vehicles in the lineup for 2022. I have not checked the Mach E but do see a few interesting ones. Kia has one coming out EV6 GT I think. It blasts off 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. The Audi looks like a comfy ride.

I see Lotus is advertising a 2022 rocket ship. 2000 ponies! They don't list a price but you know, if you have to ask.....

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP, looks like a great move. Honestly if our company put in free charging stations, my big butt would be cruising to work in an electric car. My regular driver is a Town Car. The Ram will be in the mix especially with bad weather.

It looks like everyone has electric vehicles in the lineup for 2022. I have not checked the Mach E but do see a few interesting ones. Kia has one coming out EV6 GT I think. It blasts off 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. The Audi looks like a comfy ride.

I see Lotus is advertising a 2022 rocket ship. 2000 ponies! They don't list a price but you know, if you have to ask.....
I'm also intrigued by the Kia. Unfortunately they're proud of it. Saying it's gonna start at probably $40-45k. Which if that's in your budget then more power to ya but it's kinda steep for a commuter which is what I want it for. Toyota supposedly has like 5-6 ev models they're about to unveil. I'm hoping this competition brings prices down to more justifiable levels.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck to a ???Mustang??? EV? WOW! that's a total 360.

You must have never needed the utility of a truck in the first place????
That's the thing that always baffles me. I agree that everyone should drive what they like but I can't figure out why you'd want to drive a big fuel sucking, hard-parking vehicle like the Ram (or any full-size truck) if you can exist in something like that, which is really just a ****pit for two and no carrying capacity whatsoever.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Congratulations. If you are happy than that’s all that matters. Good luck

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new car! I'll be interested to hear about your experience with it over time.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It’s been a great year on this forum. I have enjoyed viewing and participating daily. You have all been very helpful and kind. I do hope I have helped at least a few. Now that my Ram is gone, I will not monitor this forum (OK I will check in a few times weekly I am sure).

Since we sold to a dealer with several car lines, and since they offered more than Vroom and even more than I paid last year, If I purchased something else at any branch, I got a waiver on sales tax. We were going to take the cash and wait, buy a beater, but while driving by another branch of the dealer about 1 hour away on Monday , I noticed about 6 new mustang Mach-E’s. I thought they were back order for months and really had little interest. We stopped and asked to take one for a spin.

Apparently a Solar company ordered 10 and ended up only taking 4. The dealer got them a few weeks back and was selling at MSRP. No gouging. Of course you can count all of the Maine DC fast chargers on two hands and the closest is 1 hour South of the Dealer (2 hours from me) , so they only sold one so far.

They offered up a loaner to drive so the wife and I went for a 30 minute spin. We were quite impressed. We already own one EV and my company recently installed free chargers so we pondered the idea of having two, knowing there is no fuel costs.

We talked with the dealer and did some research and found there were about $12,100 in incentives right now as well as a Ford Options Financing plan tailored for EVs. Finally no tax. So, I spoke with the sales guy again and he offered the loaner for another 2 days for nothing. I guess he thought I was interested. I took the offer and put about 300 miles on it. It self parks, parallel and side by side, has following adaptive cruise, lane keep, full led lighting and a 15.5” screen. In another few months full hands free self driving via a download on the highways, plus a 200+ mile range. Complete silence in the interior. I thought my Ram was quiet. A true keyless entry using your phone and 3 others and everything tailors to the driver. It also has 468 foot pounds of instant torque, holy moly. 0-60 in 5-2.

We took delivery of a new 2021 Mach-E AWD today. A lower payment, shorter term, than my Ram and a $300 per month savings on gas. Insurance was only a few hundred difference per year. Plus with the Ford Options, if it turns out to be a dud, like Chevy Bolt values, with battery fires, or an unreliable mess, battery degradation, you can walk away from the loan after 3 or 4 years, your choice, like a lease.

So we will be on the Mach E forums and learning a lot about it over the next few months. Thank you all! The Ram is a great truck and who knows, the electric Ram is coming soon.....

View attachment 94297 View attachment 94318
Dang that seems like a pretty unbeatable deal! I would’ve thought long and hard about that switch too! Congrats

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp that’s definitely a big difference. Hope you enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

STIG302

Reaction score
For all of you EV supporters out there, the real truth isn’t being discussed.
1. When quoting your gas savings, you fail to mention your increase in electric utility cost.
2. Do you know the truth of what it takes to manufacture a car battery? How much mining of raw material and where it’s done?
3. Do you know that Elon Musk got rich off of tax dollars collected from you and I through federal subsidies to produce EVs that do more damage to the environment during production?

I urge you to watch “Planet of the Humans”. This was produced by Michael Moore who is a Liberal. I’m not a Liberal, or even moderate, but I care about the environment and what we leave behind. I found that documentary to be enlightening.

This isn’t meant to offend anyone with different views, but if you are offended, you’ll get over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
1. When quoting your gas savings, you fail to mention your increase in electric utility cost.
2. Do you know the truth of what it takes to manufacture a car battery? How much mining of raw material and where it’s done?
3. Do you know that Elon Musk got rich off of tax dollars collected from you and I through federal subsidies to produce EVs that do more damage to the environment during production?

I urge you to watch “Planet of the Humans”. This was produced by Michael Moore who is a Liberal. I’m not a Liberal, or even moderate, but I care about the environment and what we leave behind. I found that documentary to be enlightening.

This isn’t meant to offend anyone with different views, but if you are offended, you’ll get over it.

I hear what you are saying. I don't find it offensive and agree with you on your stance.

But:

1. The OP said his employer put charging stations in at his work. Free to me electrical charge each day would make me change!

2. This is a great point about the batteries. I did not think of the strip mining and environmental devastation it takes to make them. I only thought of the hazardous waste facto of disposing of them.

3. Well if Musk made bucks from the government I think more power to him. This is part of capitalism. Use the rules to your best advantage. My profession allows me to see how our tax dollars are p*ssed away each day. Musks entire net worth is a drop in the bucket to what we spend. Look what Lord Biden is throwing away right now on the news open to the public.

I love my distilled dino remains guzzling vehicles. I am not overly concerned about the environment but I do my part. I don't litter. I take my used oil to the recycle place at the dump. I recycle car batteries (they pay well for the lead at the recycle place).

I am a consumer though. I use products and contribute heavily to waste. I don't really choose products or lifestyle based on environmental impact.

Jako

Reaction score

Good points. There is a down side to EV that is not being advertised. I heard a lot of good information on AM radio while cleaning up the Ram one Sunday afternoon, not a pretty green when it is fully explained.
Perhaps the green is tinged with the color of the dollar!

highgear2005

Reaction score
Don’t feed the trolls, I drive a truck because I need one! He’s just another guy the bought the new cool toy, and always has to have the shiny new toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Reaction score
If it's supposed to be environmentally friendly then why so much power? This seems to contradict the foundation of going green

Jako

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. I don't find it offensive and agree with you on your stance.

But:

1. The OP said his employer put charging stations in at his work. Free to me electrical charge each day would make me change!

2. This is a great point about the batteries. I did not think of the strip mining and environmental devastation it takes to make them. I only thought of the hazardous waste facto of disposing of them.

3. Well if Musk made bucks from the government I think more power to him. This is part of capitalism. Use the rules to your best advantage. My profession allows me to see how our tax dollars are p*ssed away each day. Musks entire net worth is a drop in the bucket to what we spend. Look what Lord Biden is throwing away right now on the news open to the public.

I love my distilled dino remains guzzling vehicles. I am not overly concerned about the environment but I do my part. I don't litter. I take my used oil to the recycle place at the dump. I recycle car batteries (they pay well for the lead at the recycle place).

I am a consumer though. I use products and contribute heavily to waste. I don't really choose products or lifestyle based on environmental impact.
Pertaining to post #3

As per Webster government is not part of capitalism.

Time will tell what happens when the two become blended.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's supposed to be environmentally friendly then why so much power? This seems to contradict the foundation of going green
That's actually a really good point. Realistically an electric vehicle that's just designed to carry 2-4 passengers could probably operate just fine on streets with under 100 HP, even with all the safety and creature comfort stuff. A pretty good argument could be made that no one on public roads *needs* to be able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds, and if you're talking about environmental preservation why produce the power for one passenger vehicle that could probably power 3-6 vehicles instead?

I'm not trying to argue either point. I love the environment and I also love having a V8 engine that's not dragging *** when I have it loaded to the gills with construction materials. If there was a reasonable electric truck that could do the same as my Ram without the limitations that exist with electric right now - few charging stations, long wait times, limited range, crazy costs - I wouldn't be against it; nor am I against electric cars that are coming out, as development and utilization will drive the technology so that it can improve. At the same time, the current state and condition of the electric grid is a valid argument that electric proponents need to consider. Our electric grid is highly inefficient, as a large amount of the electricity that is produced just ends up wasted as heat as it's transmitted very long distances. It's a legacy infrastructure designed and built when electric consumption wasn't terribly high and there were more options for local generation (coal, small hydro, etc). The most reasonable switch from gasoline to electric for vehicles would be to first retrofit most/all houses to on-site/community solar generation, in order to eliminate all the transmission loss, and then to move to greater electric car use.

Users who are viewing this thread