5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to buy a RAM - Need opinions on do I get a 1500 or a 2500 for towing

jvurn

Reaction score
Folks-

I am Jon and a newbie to this site and quite frankly towing. The backstory is we bought a business that came with a trailer for doing mobile events and I will need to drive the trailer maybe 30 times a year if things go well. So far every time I tow I have rented a RAM 2500 or an F250 and I cant even tell the trailer is back there. Below you will see a generator sitting on the front of the trailer an it weighs about 400lbs. I have taken the trailer to a CAT scale and got 7160.

I want to but a truck in the worst way and want to ensure I pick the best model for me and if physics didn't matter it would be a Limited 1500 with all the bells but I am nervous its not enough and then there is the 3.21 vs 3.92 debate.

For this type of a load....

1. Would you feel comfortable with a 1500 and 3.21 or would it have to be a 3.92?
2. Is a 1500 simply not up to the job and should I just go for the 2500 and not worry about it?

Thanks in advance!

philly.jpg

catScale.jpg

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're biggest hurdle with a half ton is payload, and the more options you get the less payload you get. Trailer tongue plus generator is going to put you close to payload already...

Plenty of people will tell you not to worry about this number and just "send it". Understand there is a factor of safety built into everything, but there is also added wear and just the drivability. At a minimum I would add air bags, and get a lower trim level 1500.

My buddy stepped up to a Ram 2500 for his 6500lb camper. That truck drives great empty or loaded.

Last edited:

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. 2500
1500 could pull empty trailer and no passengers so by the time you load your supplies and helpers Massive overload.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
We have a 2018 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73 gears and have made a couple trips to Alaska with it as well as other shorter trips without any issues pulling our trailer that ways around 10,000 lbs and carrying two 7 cubic foot freezers full of fish on the return trip. It's usually just about maxed on payload with all we carry but never an issue. The 2500 also has better brakes for you. Our overall mileage for the Alaskan trips was 11.3 mpg. Good luck with your decision.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Another vote for the 2500 here! 6.4 hemi and 3.73 gearing will be plenty for what you're doing.

Sure a 1500 could do it a few times a year, but it will be sketchy. a 2500 will do it comfortably and could do it all day, and every day.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 1500 might be adequate for that trailer. The 7100 lb trailer is below the tow limits of most 1500s. You just need to determine how much cargo you will be hauling to ensure you don't exceed the cargo limit which will probably be between 1300 - 1800 lbs depending on model. For a 7100 lb trailer, I would go for the taller 3.92 gears.

Everything you carry inside the truck (including passengers), in the bed, and weight of the trailer tongue all add up for cargo weight. Any accessory you add, like tonneau cover, that didn't come from the factory also adds to cargo weight.

Also, you can't go by the weight of the generator on the tongue and believe that all adds to tongue weight because heavy equipment inside the trailer located behind the axle can counterbalance that weight.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I stopped reading at "So far every time I tow I have rented a RAM 2500 or an F250 and I cant even tell the trailer is back there. "

Answered his own question as far as towing goes. Other factors might entail more discussion but not if focused on towing.

jvurn

Reaction score
Thank you all for taking the time to write the thoughtful replies.

I'll be sure to post the pic when I pull the trigger on the purchase!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Oh and maybe I missed it but how far and how fast will you be driving that load? If just on city streets up to say 45, thats a whole lot different than highways.
a good wdh, upgraded LT tires etc would be in order for an urban tow rig, you could get away with it.

I see plenty of vendors at Sams Club, Home Depot etc who pull trailers with half tons. They likely don’t exceed 35-45 mph.

silver billet

Reaction score
My money would go for a Chevy 2500. The Ram 2500 is too old, a refresh is coming soon so I wouldn't want to spend money on a clearly outdated truck. The 6.6 is stronger as well and probably more fuel efficient.

mrclortho

Reaction score
That is really too much weight for a 1500 on a regular basis. I have had both a 2500 Hemi with the 8 speed and now a 1500 e-torque.

My travel trailer is 7,500lbs and the 1500 actually pulls it better than the 2500 did. I know, hard to believe, but I was fairly disappointed with the 2500 392 hemi. Had I of gotten the diesel, it would have been a different story all together. Maybe it is the e-torque but my 1500 pulls up some big hill country hills nearby with the cruise control on at 60mph easily and without drama. My 1500 is the 3.21 rear with a lift and 35's too. The 2500 would be screaming doing the same and felt like it was really trying hard. I was surprised at how high the rpms have to be to get power out of the 392 with that heavy truck. It had 4.10 gears and 35's.

I had a 3500 diesel a decade ago, and it would tow 8k lbs like it was hardly there...it was a truly great machine. If you tow all the time, a dually diesel is the best choice, but very costly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online