5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going from etorque to alternator

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone switched an etorque hemi to an alternator? Wondering what is all involved and cost?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque is involved in much everything the powertrain does. Good luck switching it out... probably not feasible.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet that if a guy had a non-eTorque PCM and got it programmed for the VIN of the truck it's going into, you could use that and then just disconnect the eTorque MGU and wiring, install the alternator, and rock on....

But it would still cost quite a bit of money.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I traded in my etorque Ram for a standard Hemi. Ended up being cheaper to build a new model with the discounts then buy used or new from the lot. 🤷🏽‍♂️ They knocked $6500 off MSRP without even asking for more, gave me a good amount for trade in, plus free lifetime powertrain warranty. Dave Sinclair in Pacific MO.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love to see that contract...

Yeah I know, I hear that a lot. I’ve spoken with other people & business owners who have purchased & used their warranty through here though & have great things to say, even fixing things they shouldn’t have had to fix under contract. One of the big ones was a full engine replacement at 300k miles & only paid a $200 deductible. It’s through a party called CNA if you want to look them up. I had it on my 2013 Silverado at a different dealership as well & they took care of something with the rear axle that should have costed over 4k & I paid $0 for the repair. It was past the factory warranty.

Overall, it’s better than the factory warranty & extended warranty I paid for on my 21 Laramie that I traded in. I upgraded my warranty to cover all electrical, air suspension, etc. for $3200 ish if I remember right. In a nutshell, the contract says they will pair for any of the listed repairs until the cost of the repairs outweigh the value of the vehicle which will take quite a while and then they will cut you a check for $1500 to buy you out of the warranty responsibility basically. My first goal is 500k miles which is roughly 8 years for me. Really going to put both the Ram as well as the warranty to the test.

Attachments

• 5F42F269-D3D2-4464-B194-17CB914F4872.jpeg
    5F42F269-D3D2-4464-B194-17CB914F4872.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer does lifetime powertrain warranty for free. The catch is, you have to let them do your routine service. I guess in the long run it's still a great deal. I mean, $150 year for oil changes and what not isn't bad for a lifetime of protection against big repairs.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is flexible enough to allow you to take anywhere else for maintenance as long as it’s a certified shop. So that’s nice for me bc I travel to other states every other week for work. CNA has good reviews online as well, but it was nice to get in person feedback from locals. I do take it to the same dealer every month or so (5-6k miles per month) for oil change/tire rotation out of convenience sake & price as you had mentioned. I get a package of 3 full synthetic changes & rotates for $140.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My dealer does lifetime powertrain warranty for free. The catch is, you have to let them do your routine service. I guess in the long run it's still a great deal. I mean, $150 year for oil changes and what not isn't bad for a lifetime of protection against big repairs.
Depends what they consider routine service. Pads rotors, fluid changes, tires, etc. It all can add up very quickly at dealership costs. I wonder if they phase our routine service requirements after 150k miles

I had a warranty through CNA before but it was one of those tire warranties and it was fine. I have never been offered a lifetime anything but i'm in the North East and we don't seem to ever get any kind of "good deals" when it comes to almost anything.

I wonder if it's possible to go from etorque to a normal hemi for under 10k. I have a feeling there's a bunch of weird things requiring it.
I guess you could sell the battery pack in back as used and recoup a little money lol.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe it would require just z reprogram, wiring harness, and alternator and belt? Not sure what else there is that is part of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread