5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going from 22" to 18" Wheels?

dvdprl

Reaction score
I'm going to either be doing the Mopar 2" + ORP Springs, or the 3.5 SST Ready Lift. I keep going back and forth between 18" or 20" wheels with 35" tires. I would probably go 35x12.5 18 or 35x11.5 20.

Is there anything different about the 22" wheel setups that will cause any issues going to an 18" wheel? Any restrictions or things I need to look out for? I was looking to keep the offset at 0 or slightly positive to stay somewhere closer to factory.

Any advice, or photos of your set up to possibly help me, would be GREALTY appreciated!

Thank you

MF2020

Reaction score
I'm going to either be doing the Mopar 2" + ORP Springs, or the 3.5 SST Ready Lift. I keep going back and forth between 18" or 20" wheels with 35" tires. I would probably go 35x12.5 18 or 35x11.5 20.

Is there anything different about the 22" wheel setups that will cause any issues going to an 18" wheel? Any restrictions or things I need to look out for? I was looking to keep the offset at 0 or slightly positive to stay somewhere closer to factory.

Any advice, or photos of your set up to possibly help me, would be GREALTY appreciated!

Thank you
Dont' know exactly what you currently have but my 22" factory wheels had a +18 offset. I changed them to 275/60R20XL Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Fuel Vapor 20x9 Rims with a +18 offset so that the tire will still be under the wheel wells and fender flares. I would think a 0 offset would push the big 12.5s or 11.5s way out. but I'm no expert, could be wrong. Just throwing out my most recent experience.

dvdprl

Reaction score
Dont' know exactly what you currently have but my 22" factory wheels had a +18 offset. I changed them to 275/60R20XL Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Fuel Vapor 20x9 Rims with a +18 offset so that the tire will still be under the wheel wells and fender flares. I would think a 0 offset would push the big 12.5s or 11.5s way out. but I'm no expert, could be wrong. Just throwing out my most recent experience.
I’m at a +18 as well, from all the photos I’ve seen, the 0 barely sticks out, just a touch. Quite a few -12 and -20 offsets I have seen and those stick out a bit more which is not my taste. Hoping the 0 is the perfect in between. I’m leaning towards the 295 70 which would be 34.3 x 11.77 which hopefully will keep it just barely poking out.

I’m just worried if there’s any issue removing 22s and putting on 18s. Any idea if there’s any different components on our 22” factory trucks?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I believe the stock 22" wheels have a 9" width and the 18" wheels have a 8" width so just be sure the tires you choose will fit the width of the wheel you select also.

MF2020

Reaction score
I’m at a +18 as well, from all the photos I’ve seen, the 0 barely sticks out, just a touch. Quite a few -12 and -20 offsets I have seen and those stick out a bit more which is not my taste. Hoping the 0 is the perfect in between. I’m leaning towards the 295 70 which would be 34.3 x 11.77 which hopefully will keep it just barely poking out.

I’m just worried if there’s any issue removing 22s and putting on 18s. Any idea if there’s any different components on our 22” factory trucks?
I had my computer recalibrated to allow for the overall larger diameter of the tire. I would think that you would need the same going to the size you indicate here. Otherwise your speedometer will be off. Also, certain non-OEM wheels will need different tire pressure monitors and perhaps even a second valve stem.

Users who are viewing this thread