5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go Rhino Dominator D6 vs Westin Outlaw Nerf Step Bars

Baneghoul

Reaction score
Evening! I purchased my 2020 Rebel Crew Cab last month I am shopping for some step boards. I am looking hard at these two. I like the rugged (rock slider) look of them and how they hug the bottom of the truck vs hanging down. I don't really like the loop steps and want to try to keep as much clearance as possible. I'm going to be keeping this truck for many years, so I'd like to have these last a while also.

I've found some posts on this and other forums regarding the Go Rhino Dominator D6s, and it seems like people like them initially.
  1. Current owners, how are they holding up long-term?
  2. I live in the Midwest, so salt and rust are routine in the winter. Anyone have experience with that type of environment?
  3. Is the grip OK in the snow and rain?
  4. Do they clean off easily?
  5. Any Warranty issues? I spoke to a local shop and they had a couple bad warranty stories about Go Rhino and tried to push me to the Westins.

I haven't found much on the Westin Outlaws. Anyone have them or seen them in person and have an opinion? Looking for answers to the same questions.

Also, if anyone has any other ideas on similar boards I may have missed in my search the last few weeks, let me know! Thanks!!!

Kooch80

Reaction score

Baneghoul

Reaction score
Thanks! I've seen those Tygers Star Armor's and they look awesome. I think the only thing holding me back from those (since they seem to have great reviews) is the gaps in between steps. I have 3 kids that are a little wild and I'm afraid would miss a step and get caught up. Otherwise that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Thanks! I've seen those Tygers Star Armor's and they look awesome. I think the only thing holding me back from those (since they seem to have great reviews) is the gaps in between steps. I have 3 kids that are a little wild and I'm afraid would miss a step and get caught up. Otherwise that's exactly what I'm looking for.
i have a 9 y/o daughter and she has had no issues. the step plates are in the right place and the gap between the bars is not very large. if i was home i would get some good pictures for you but it will be quite a while before i can do that.

Erydius

Reaction score
So I actually just installed a pair of the Dominator D6s on my 2020 Rebel and they look amazing. Two things to be aware of with these steps, they are 6" wide however as they mount under the curve of the cab you probably only have about 4" of useable step. When I step out of the truck basically I only get the heel of my shoe or boots on it.

The other downside is that they mount so flush to the body, and this was a big positive for me, but you have to be careful as you will be having your boots/shoes bumping and rubbing up against the area of the body of the truck under the doors. I am probably going to look into getting a PPF film in this area.

Baneghoul

Reaction score
So I actually just installed a pair of the Dominator D6s on my 2020 Rebel and they look amazing. Two things to be aware of with these steps, they are 6" wide however as they mount under the curve of the cab you probably only have about 4" of useable step. When I step out of the truck basically I only get the heel of my shoe or boots on it.

The other downside is that they mount so flush to the body, and this was a big positive for me, but you have to be careful as you will be having your boots/shoes bumping and rubbing up against the area of the body of the truck under the doors. I am probably going to look into getting a PPF film in this area.

Awesome! Yeah, I'm leaning towards these I think. That does make sense on the width. I also didn't think about the contact with the truck itself because of how flush they are, so that's something I'll have to keep in mind. Thanks!

Erydius

Reaction score
Awesome! Yeah, I'm leaning towards these I think. That does make sense on the width. I also didn't think about the contact with the truck itself because of how flush they are, so that's something I'll have to keep in mind. Thanks!

Anytime! Im still happy about the decision to install them, and am thankful that the part of the body paint that may see any kind of scratches is pretty tough to see once the doors are closed. Small consolation I guess

7amada

Reaction score
Anytime! Im still happy about the decision to install them, and am thankful that the part of the body paint that may see any kind of scratches is pretty tough to see once the doors are closed. Small consolation I guess
Can we get some pics of your truck. I have a 19 rebel and thinking about the D6 too

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely would like to see some more pics as well. I’m leaning towards these, too.

Does anyone have a measurement for drop from door sill and measurement for how much sticks out? Are you finding these steps are functional as steps, or more for protection?

I had a set of different steps on my previous truck, and they were basically useless as steps, but they did provide great protection, as tested by my wife when she turned into a low pole

Clyde

Reaction score
I have the Tyger Star Armor, 3 kids ranging from 6 & up, they have no problem navigating the step... don’t see that being much of an issue.

I like the running boards, a they are on the heavy side though, weighing in at 65 lbs each. They also hang lower than the blades as they have the extra tubing below the step, if you don’t have a lift w/ larger tires they hang a little low IMO. F542F225-92C1-412A-9295-06C1BE8E7B7F.jpeg F542F225-92C1-412A-9295-06C1BE8E7B7F.jpeg F542F225-92C1-412A-9295-06C1BE8E7B7F.jpeg A39DB363-1458-4D2B-A8D3-31C81E1ED54A.jpeg

Attachments

• 75A6E8C1-398A-4D20-801D-87A13525D671.jpeg
    75A6E8C1-398A-4D20-801D-87A13525D671.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 58

tejinderm

Reaction score

Baneghoul

Reaction score
I should have updated this. I ended up going with the Westin Outlaws. Super sturdy, no complaints.

Attachments

• IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5847.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5848.jpg
    IMG_5848.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5849.jpg
    IMG_5849.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5850.jpg
    IMG_5850.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 118

Bambohunter

Reaction score
I should have updated this. I ended up going with the Westin Outlaws. Super sturdy, no complaints.

I’m looking at these for my truck as well. Why did you choose these over the go rhino?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread