5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMRS/CB Radio Install

Garyindiane

Reaction score
View attachment 154776
I 3D printed a chassis mount to match the cubby that was there so behind the dash, the radio is mounted to the same bolts that the cubby was (with ventilation obviously). I installed the handmic mount on the front face of the sliding cupholders so you can't see it but it's easily accessible. It's a CB, but they make GMRS and other ham models in the same form factor that fit great. All I had to do was dremel the little ridge at the top and it worked fantastic.
Nice clean install!

Garyindiane

Reaction score
Can you even hear the radio? The speaker is on top of the unit (unless there is also one in the microphone). In that spot I would think that the speaker would be muffled extensively.
You could always run an external speaker if needed. They are only about $12 on Amazon.

hughesjasonk

Reaction score
@hughesjasonk did you ever mount your radio? I need some ideas on how you powered your setup and wouldn't mind your thoughts on my pending radio install?

We use truck-mounted radios heavily in my neck of Idaho - lots of areas with no cell service - I plan on installing an IMCOM 2730a dual-band radio IC-2730A VHF/UHF Dual Band Transceiver - Features - Icom America. Yes, I'm an aspiring Ham nerd, go ahead and poke fun I won't judge you for it.... anyways.

The IMCOM 2730a has a separate control unit and main station. As it stands now anyway, the plan is to mount the base station under the cell phone tray in my center console along with the hand-mic. Then I'll permanently affix the display panel right above the cell phone tray in a small void (looks like maybe it used to be a CD player or something?), which sits next to the USB chargers.
View attachment 154229
Very similar to what Daily Gas Guzzler's did in this video:
. Not a plug or knock for him or his video, this popped up in my search for ideas. I think my control unit/display panel will mount over the storage void where his base station is sitting.

Any thoughts on pros/cons to this settup would be much appreciated.

I kinda gave up dec last year with this thread dieing. Now looking at it, there are some great ideas. I still have not mounted my radio because I had aspirations of turning my truck in for a diesel but I think that I am going to keep my truck for a while and it is going to get mounted in the next week or so.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I'm about attempting the same install. Moving my MXT275 from my jeep to my truck. I like the idea of putting it in the little cubby area. Any pictures of using the F54A fuse? The little antenna works great on the hood of my jeep, but I might consider a Midland ghost mount.

hughesjasonk

Reaction score
I'm about attempting the same install. Moving my MXT275 from my jeep to my truck. I like the idea of putting it in the little cubby area. Any pictures of using the F54A fuse? The little antenna works great on the hood of my jeep, but I might consider a Midland ghost mount.
I'm looking at finally installing my mtx575 and I'm going to install a ghost antenna via magnet on the bed rail next to the cab. The other idea I had was to drill a hole in the plastic cap and use the antenna cable with a sandwich mount.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I ended up putting the MXT275 in the map pocket beside the driver's seat. I have the little magnetic mount close to center of the roof between the doors. I'm going to attempt the install from the video when we return from our Mississippi trip.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a HAM mobile radio. iCom IC-2730A
I mounted the face plate on ICS Dash Mount using Ram Ball mounts.
thumbnail_IMG_2849.jpg
Here's another look. The faceplate wire is fed through the dash behind head unit.
thumbnail_IMG_2851.jpg
Yes, removal of headunit is required but it is really really easy to do. I drilled the top "tray" to both feed the faceplate cable AND securely mount the ICS dash mount. Drilling for dash mount is not required but it is recommended if you do any offroading that sees lots of vibration (aka, lots of washboard roads).
Good news is, you can just put the rubber tray cover back when you remove the dash mount and no one's gonna know.
thumbnail_IMG_2845.jpg
I have a dedicated fuse box w/ ground hardwired to battery via a Blue Sea 60A circuit breaker. I have other plans that's why I ran a fuse block.
I also made my own mount using scrap wood I have from my carpentry days. I ran out of black paint so I used blue to color match the truck... kind of.
thumbnail_5F23AF80-9CD6-444E-80EF-1A657EEE0A34.jpg
The beauty of this is, once rear seat is flipped down, everything is hidden.
thumbnail_CACD3B5F-7F5A-46E9-ACAB-3921B12F158C.jpg
To pull this off, I fed 3 wires through the grommet into engine bay. The black and red combo is the power for cab side power distribution, the braided (?) harness is the Switch Pros controller cable. The one on the right is antenna.
Antenna and controller cable are dirty because these were taken off my 4Runner before I sold it.
thumbnail_IMG_2827.jpg
Antenna is mounted on SDHQ A-Pillar bracket using Rago Fabrication HAM antenna mount. Antenna and mount are take-off from my 4Runner, so is the BD light.
thumbnail_IMG_2907.jpg

Hope this helps those who are looking to do this project.

daveone

Reaction score
Great set up! As it relates to the antenna, why did you choose to put in on the a-pillar, and not mount it higher on the roof? Was clearance an issue? Are your getting good reception? I figured a roof mount would offer better tx/rx, but I don’t like the idea of a 20” antenna on top of a 80” tall truck.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great set up! As it relates to the antenna, why did you choose to put in on the a-pillar, and not mount it higher on the roof? Was clearance an issue? Are your getting good reception? I figured a roof mount would offer better tx/rx, but I don’t like the idea of a 20” antenna on top of a 80” tall truck.
a-pillar mount is plenty enough for tx/rx. roof mount requires magnetic mount or the 3rd brake light mount. I don't want magnet on my roof and i had planned to put GFC on my truck which overhangs the cab so 3rd brake light option is out.
Also going that high when wheeling in the forest is just asking for trouble lol if it get hit hard enough and falls off i wouldn't even know till when i don't hear anything for too long :LOL:

daveone

Reaction score
a-pillar mount is plenty enough for tx/rx. roof mount requires magnetic mount or the 3rd brake light mount. I don't want magnet on my roof and i had planned to put GFC on my truck which overhangs the cab so 3rd brake light option is out.
Also going that high when wheeling in the forest is just asking for trouble lol if it get hit hard enough and falls off i wouldn't even know till when i don't hear anything for too long :LOL:
I’m glad to hear it. Last thing I wanted was an additional 2 feet of reduced clearance! I’m thinking of mounting the antenna on the top of my toolbox behind the cab. Now I just need to find an entry point for the coax cable besides the firewall grommet in the engine department.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im in the same boat but idk what. unit to buy and where to even mount either haha

hogger

Reaction score
Now I just need to find an entry point for the coax cable besides the firewall grommet in the engine department.
I used the grommet on the floor underneath the back of the left back seat. You kinda have to snake the wires to get out through a hole in the frame, but I brought coax, and the rear cam cable from the camera mounted on the shell back window this way. I used some flex wire loom first, and then fed unterminated coax through that, adding the connector after wards. I also left a pull string to add stuff later (used to run the dash cam at a later date). I put another connector on the underside of the truck to faciliate swapping antennas. I may add a diplexer at each end to facilitate HF on the single passthrough, but that's for a project down the road so to speak.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m glad to hear it. Last thing I wanted was an additional 2 feet of reduced clearance! I’m thinking of mounting the antenna on the top of my toolbox behind the cab. Now I just need to find an entry point for the coax cable besides the firewall grommet in the engine department.
that is gonna be the easiest way to run it especially you'll also need a healthy power supply (i personally don't recommend using ciggy plug or anything like that)
if you're going to put any other 12v electronics i do recommend running a dedicated power and ground directly from the battery.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im in the same boat but idk what. unit to buy and where to even mount either haha
i run icom 2730A. by far it is the best bang for the buck.
i mount it under the rear seat along with my other in-cab battery direct powered accessories

Users who are viewing this thread