5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMRS/CB Radio Install

hughesjasonk

Reaction score
I am looking at installing a GMRS radio. Specifically a Midland MXT575. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share pictures of their install so I can get some ideas?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty small package. Probably would fit under the drivers seat, even with ANC.

jljbtm

Reaction score
CB thats a great idea but I thought CB went away? I still have an old Cobra with all the controls in the mic. (dont know the model) but it would need an antennae

FREEDOM RAMer

Reaction score
@hughesjasonk did you ever mount your radio? I need some ideas on how you powered your setup and wouldn't mind your thoughts on my pending radio install?

We use truck-mounted radios heavily in my neck of Idaho - lots of areas with no cell service - I plan on installing an IMCOM 2730a dual-band radio IC-2730A VHF/UHF Dual Band Transceiver - Features - Icom America. Yes, I'm an aspiring Ham nerd, go ahead and poke fun I won't judge you for it.... anyways.

The IMCOM 2730a has a separate control unit and main station. As it stands now anyway, the plan is to mount the base station under the cell phone tray in my center console along with the hand-mic. Then I'll permanently affix the display panel right above the cell phone tray in a small void (looks like maybe it used to be a CD player or something?), which sits next to the USB chargers.
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 12.44.57.png
Very similar to what Daily Gas Guzzler's did in this video:
. Not a plug or knock for him or his video, this popped up in my search for ideas. I think my control unit/display panel will mount over the storage void where his base station is sitting.

Any thoughts on pros/cons to this settup would be much appreciated.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CB thats a great idea but I thought CB went away? I still have an old Cobra with all the controls in the mic. (dont know the model) but it would need an antennae
I still run my Uniden PC55 hooked to a 4 foot Fire-stick antenna when going down to Florida.
It is quiet most of the time but there are still some truckers using them, GMRS is even quieter.

FREEDOM RAMer

Reaction score
I still run my Uniden PC55 hooked to a 4 foot Fire-stick antenna when going down to Florida.
It is quiet most of the time but there are still some truckers using them, GMRS is even quieter.

HF/VHF/UHF band radio is far from dead! You would be astounded to know how many are listening. Emergency services, amateurs, truckers, road crews, etc. Send out a transmission and see who is out there!

In central Idaho it is very useful. In the winter Search and Rescue crews operate on VHF. Summer, fire crews put out their ops on HF and VHF.

My whole family run GMRS and/or HAM. We can talk through the radio for the large chunks of roadway that are not covered by cell service. Even just radio-2-radio is very useful for multiple cars driving.

In 2021 it helped me reroute on a jeep excursion to avoid the changing flames of a MT/ID border fire. Very useful for such a fast moving type event.

Although, yes- the days of Smokey and the Bandit do seem to be dying. Replaced by social media I guess… Too bad- I think it’d be fun to bring back!

Thatjusthappened82

Reaction score
I am looking at installing a GMRS radio. Specifically a Midland MXT575. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share pictures of their install so I can get some ideas?
I pulled the center console and installed an MXT575 underneath the UConnect screen securing it with zip ties. I ran a rj45 bulkhead connector through one of the trim panels on the passenger side and mounted the mic on a proclips vent mount.

FREEDOM RAMer

Reaction score
I pulled the center console and installed an MXT575 underneath the UConnect screen securing it with zip ties. I ran a rj45 bulkhead connector through one of the trim panels on the passenger side and mounted the mic on a proclips vent mount.
Hmm- do you happen to have a picture? That sounds slick!

Have you had any issues with heat distribution back behind all that?

Thatjusthappened82

Reaction score
21F67D22-C270-4E3B-8F08-A25AE62E3F8E.jpeg

No issues that I can see as of yet, there’s lots of space behind the uconnect screen (same as if you stuffed it under a seat, glovebox, cd tray, etc). I fuse tapped off F54A so it comes on and off when the vehicle is on. Ran the antenna cable through the firewall across the top of the engine bay to the ditch light mount. Note I custom cut the cable and soldered a pl259 connector on so there’s no loops and connected it to the midland mxta26… SWR of like 1.2-1.4 is good enough for me.

sadly no pics of the install, but pulling the console is stupid easy and with enough zip ties anything is possible. Any questions feel free to msg me!

Last edited:

Garyindiane

Reaction score
My installation. Not a midland but it may help others. TYT-9800 mounted under the seat. Control head over cubby hole.
I have the short dual band nmo antenna and a 20 something inch one that i can switch back and forth between depending on my needs and trails. Don't need a tree branch taking out my antenna. lol
20230205_134910.jpg 20230205_133554.jpg 20230121_120921.jpg

FREEDOM RAMer

Reaction score

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mounted my Midland with a RAM mount to the upper dash.
Started with the midland wide-band antenna on the left, went to a Larsen 1/4 wave and ended up with a Larsen 5/8 wave with a good VSWR.
So, a 170 dollar radio with a 90 dollar antenna, go figure.:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMGP0769 1600 MTX115.jpg
    IMGP0769 1600 MTX115.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 107
  • UHF antennas.jpg
    UHF antennas.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

FREEDOM RAMer

Reaction score
My installation. Not a midland but it may help others. TYT-9800 mounted under the seat. Control head over cubby hole.
I have the short dual band nmo antenna and a 20 something inch one that i can switch back and forth between depending on my needs and trails. Don't need a tree branch taking out my antenna. lol
View attachment 154285 View attachment 154286 View attachment 154287
One more question- do you notice any whistling or weird wind noise with that antenna mount when on the freeway?

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
radio.jpg
I 3D printed a chassis mount to match the cubby that was there so behind the dash, the radio is mounted to the same bolts that the cubby was (with ventilation obviously). I installed the handmic mount on the front face of the sliding cupholders so you can't see it but it's easily accessible. It's a CB, but they make GMRS and other ham models in the same form factor that fit great. All I had to do was dremel the little ridge at the top and it worked fantastic.

Reaction score
View attachment 154776
I 3D printed a chassis mount to match the cubby that was there so behind the dash, the radio is mounted to the same bolts that the cubby was (with ventilation obviously). I installed the handmic mount on the front face of the sliding cupholders so you can't see it but it's easily accessible. It's a CB, but they make GMRS and other ham models in the same form factor that fit great. All I had to do was dremel the little ridge at the top and it worked fantastic.
Can you even hear the radio? The speaker is on top of the unit (unless there is also one in the microphone). In that spot I would think that the speaker would be muffled extensively.

Users who are viewing this thread