5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMC to RAM... Anyone else??

Jims380da

Reaction score
Hi, been a longtime GM guy and currently leasing a 2016 Sierra Denali. Not overly impressed with the truck or its current replacement. Had the opportunity to drive a 2019 Laramie for the weekend and thought I was driving a sporty car compared to my truck. I plan on ordering a 2019 or 20 withing the next few weeks. Has any other of you converted from GM to RAM? Any regrets? Thanks

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, been a longtime GM guy and currently leasing a 2016 Sierra Denali. Not overly impressed with the truck or its current replacement. Had the opportunity to drive a 2019 Laramie for the weekend and thought I was driving a sporty car compared to my truck. I plan on ordering a 2019 or 20 withing the next few weeks. Has any other of you converted from GM to RAM? Any regrets? Thanks
I wouldn't say that I'm a "GM guy", but I've definitely owned my share (Grand Prix, Camaro, Corvette, Silverado, Sierra). My last truck was a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT Quadrasteer. It was one of the top 3 optioned trucks in that model year, with 4x4, electronic select ride, Bose, etc. I also ran BFGs, a custom Magnaflow exhaust, and a Black Bear tune. It still looked good at 15 years old, and I had just reached 160,000 miles.

28434 28435 28436

But it was time (in my mind) to either put $10K into making the truck "brand new" again or sell it and go with a new truck. I spent two years thinking about that, as there was nothing on the market that piqued my interest...until the 2019 Ram was unveiled and I sat in a Laramie Longhorn at the auto show. The outside of the Limited and Longhorn didn't immediately win me over—even though they looked great—but the interior was just next-level compared to the F-150 Limited or GMC Sierra Denali.

I'm very, very pleased (and thankful) that (1) my old truck went to a good home (a former Quadrasteer owner that appreciated a sweet truck), and (2) I ended up with a beautiful new Laramie Longhorn, ordered with just about everything. I do miss that old beast of a truck sometimes, but the new one offers so much more. No regrets.

28437 28438 28439 28440

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Was planning on a 19' Denali but the Ram won me over with the interior. No regrets whatsoever.

Jims380da

Reaction score
Was planning on a 19' Denali but the Ram won me over with the interior. No regrets whatsoever.
Based on your profile pic, thats the black edition I was thinking about ordering. I know I will regret black in 2 weeks

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Based on your profile pic, thats the black edition I was thinking about ordering. I know I will regret black in 2 weeks

They are Metallic black so that helps, but I love black and I've wanted black for like 12 years now.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went from my 2015 SIERRA SLE Lease to my 2019 RAM.

I originally also leased my RAM, but I ended up liking it so much that I bought it out after 6 months. gmc ram.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Always wanted to drive a Quadrasteer truck, loved that they made those.
They were a brilliant idea that was poorly marketed. Most owners (myself included) have a very hard time letting them go. It was always fun to see the expressions of bystanders when I’d U-turn my crew cab 6’-6” bed truck in a tiny space.

heydre

Reaction score
WILL BE a former Sierra and Silverado owner once I find the right dance partner....too many trying to slip me the digit(n)

chad202

Reaction score
I’ve owned 17 GM vehicles, from small trucks, big trucks, small suvs, big suvs. I’ve had two none GM, one Audi A6 that screwed me when timing chain stretched and jumped timing, and a mustang GT(93). A few months I bought a Laramie sport. Ivory white. This truck is the best I’ve owned. Interior is awesome, ride is great, good power and fuel economy. My only complaint and it only bothers me when I wash it is with the painted front bumper chips easily. Other than that it’s everything I’d hope it would be.

James1414d

Reaction score
I had a 2014 and a 2015 Silverado before my Ram. They were both great trucks! They just weren't in the same league as my Longhorn as far as ride quality and interior was concerned.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... My last truck was a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT Quadrasteer. It was one of the top 3 optioned trucks in that model year, with 4x4, electronic select ride, Bose, etc. I also ran BFGs, a custom Magnaflow exhaust, and a Black Bear tune. It still looked good at 15 years old, and I had just reached 160,000 miles.

View attachment 28434
But it was time (in my mind) to either put $10K into making the truck "brand new" again or sell it and go with a new truck. I spent two years thinking about that, as there was nothing on the market that piqued my interest...until the 2019 Ram was unveiled and I sat in a Laramie Longhorn at the auto show. The outside of the Limited and Longhorn didn't immediately win me over—even though they looked great—but the interior was just next-level compared to the F-150 Limited or GMC Sierra Denali.

I'm very, very pleased (and thankful) that (1) my old truck went to a good home (a former Quadrasteer owner that appreciated a sweet truck), and (2) I ended up with a beautiful new Laramie Longhorn, ordered with just about everything. I do miss that old beast of a truck sometimes, but the new one offers so much more. No regrets.

That era of GMC/Chevy trucks was, IMO, the last truly good-looking trucks that GM/Chevy made. Nice grille, nice body lines, and that small curve upward toward the back of the rear side windows made all the difference in the world for that body style. I'm not a GM/Chevy person, but credit where it is due, but that era of GM/Chevy has aged very well, still a great looking truck.

Now, I wonder how disappointed GMC must be to hear of all of these new 2019 Ram 1500 "conquest buyers" who picked Ram over GMC/Chevy in spite of GM's new "Multipro Tailgate". The "Tailgate Twitter War" that GM started a few months ago around Superbowl time to take a dig at Ram, apparently didn't have much of an effect ;-)

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Ram to Ford Raptor back to Ram guy here. The new Chevy/GMC trucks are way behind imo. They have the 6.2 but anything else in those trucks do not appeal to me at all. And their advertisements are really annoying. They went after Ford because of the aluminum bodies. Now they're touting their tailgates to be revolutionary. Then Ram comes out with a simple hinged tail gate that blows the wind out of their sails lol.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That era of GMC/Chevy trucks was, IMO, the last truly good-looking trucks that GM/Chevy made. Nice grille, nice body lines, and that small curve upward toward the back of the rear side windows made all the difference in the world for that body style. I'm not a GM/Chevy person, but credit where it is due, but that era of GM/Chevy has aged very well, still a great looking truck.

Now, I wonder how disappointed GMC must be to hear of all of these new 2019 Ram 1500 "conquest buyers" who picked Ram over GMC/Chevy in spite of GM's new "Multipro Tailgate". The "Tailgate Twitter War" that GM started a few months ago around Superbowl time to take a dig at Ram, apparently didn't have much of an effect ;-)
I like the outgoing HDs (haven’t seen the new ones in person yet). The Duramax / Allison combo has been fantastic for GM. I considered a Silverado 2500HD High Country. But I traded that raw capability (which I didn’t really need) for a more spacious and luxurious cabin (which I actually use).

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I've been a GM guy up until now. I wanted something newer finally and looked at the big 3. The Ram interior and new body style won me over. I still have a soft spot for the GMT800 trucks/suvs though. I honestly never thought I'd own an FCA product.

I got rid of my 2003 Suburban 2500 to get into the new Ram. Before that I owned a 2003 1500HD that had 57k miles on it but the 6.0/4L80E combo is a turd for towing anything. I owned a 2004 Buick Rainier with a 5.3L in it for some time before that and absolutely loved it. It ran well and towed my Camaro on an open trailer nicely. I still have my Camaro and have actually owned five 4th Gen Camaros.

28496 28497 28498 28499

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got rid of my 2003 Suburban 2500 to get into the new Ram. Before that I owned a 2003 1500HD that had 57k miles on it but the 6.0/4L80E combo is a turd for towing anything.
Nice rides! My 1500HD (6.0L/4L80-E/4.10) needed the Black Bear tune and Magnaflow exhaust to wake up, and then it was awesome. But as @devildodge knows, my stump-pulling '01 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison/4.10 combo (and dual chambered exhaust) was a BEAST. I still miss the earth-shaking rumble and Allison pump whine of that rig.

pgers22

Reaction score
traded the 2016 Sierra 150 SLT All terrain for a 19 Ram 1500 Rebel 12. not 1 single ounce of regret at all

Users who are viewing this thread