5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMC Sierra Guy Here, but......

JGRaider

Reaction score
Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster here, and I have appreciated all the great information posted here over the years. I've always been a Chevy/GMC guy, and currently have a Sierra SLT Crew 4x4 gasser which has been a great truck. My son just recently bought an 3rd gen Ecodiesel, trading in his Silverado, and is absolutely in love with the thing. Moral to the story, he got me interested in one myself. I can't find much negative on the new generation Ram, and everything and every review I read talks about how much nicer, smoother quieter, quality the RAM is over the GMC/Chevy like mine.

I run highway in the oilfield of W TX probably 70% of the time, 25% spent off the highway in some form or fashion, working or hunting, and 5% towing my 4500lb camper or Polaris Ranger. Is there any particular thing/option I need to look for, or make sure I get on a new Ram in case I bit the bullet and scratch that itch iIve got? Thanks again for all the help.

camaro430sut

Reaction score
Like you I've always been a Chevy/GMC guy. When it came time for me to start looking again I had planned to move from my 16 Sierra Denali to a 20 Sierra AT4. I have never been a Dodge/Ram person. Honestly, fit/finish and reliability of the previous generations have always steered me away. After looking at the new Sierra I was not impressed. I liked the interior layout and quality of my Denali far better than what is currently offered. I really think GM took a step backwards with these new trucks. In a whim I decided to check out the Ram. I'm in the automotive industry and had recalled doing work to a "new" ram that had the 12 inch display, thinking that's pretty cool. Anyway, the tech and options that Ram offers far surpassed that of GM. On top of that, GMC before negotiations was offering 5k off sticker. Ram offered me 14000 off before we did any talking. The money aspect was a no brainer. I ended up in a 20 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition that has all my must haves, crew cab, 6.4 bed, 12in radio, pano roof.

As for towing. I tow my boat every weekend, get the 3.92s and the big fuel tank. What I like best about this truck towing is that it doesn't have the over invasive grade braking that my GMC did. Multiple times towing, downhill, under light braking my GMC would kick into grade braking and drop into way too low of a gear. My trailer has brakes, I dont need that. I eventually learned how to work around it by going into manual shifting when going down hill. One thing to note, with the 3.92s the truck is definitely not the most fuel efficient. Reminds me more of my previous Raptor when it come to fuel efficiency. But, it's not a daily driver for me so it's not a huge deal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
An Ecodiesel sounds like a good fit for your usage (they need to "run", if you just city drive them your chances of trouble go up, like any modern diesel).

One major problem is water leaking through rear window or brake light, affects a fair amount of people. GM has the same problem with water leaking in their new trucks (I know because I almost bought a GM and still frequent the forums there).

The ED is not quite as good as GM's new diesel, by all acounts; however most people appreciate the overall package more with Ram diesel vs GM diesel. Biggest complaint against ED is that some people experience a bit of pedal lag. Just drive one and test it, if it doesn't bother you then don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread