5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GM to Ram....how to find MY truck.

4TFive

Reaction score
My GM dealer told me to find a new dealer and that they weren't qualified to work on the GM 8 speeds so here I am after almost 20 years with only GMs. I picked up my 15 6.2 Denali slightly used so searching for it was easier.

Here is what I'm looking for, the prefers are closer to must haves. Order or keep searching? I'm seeing some 2019s getting close to 20k off so that makes this decision even harder. How does everyone search for a specific vehicle? My GM dealer continually sent me vehicles that did not check half the boxes. Also if the Rebel came with crew/6.4 bed this would be a different search.

My truck
Longhorn
6.4" bed
No E torque
No air suspension- GM magneride was gimmicky and expensive to repair
No 22s
No Ram boxes
Prefer no power steps
Prefer 3.91 gears then 3.55
Prefer sunroof
Prefer 33 gal tank
Prefer trailer brake controller - although unlike GM it appears easy to add with the Ram
Must have 12" screen
Max Towing and Off road package. Are they allowed together?

Now that I'm a member here I can dig into the feature guide more.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My GM dealer told me to find a new dealer and that they weren't qualified to work on the GM 8 speeds so here I am after almost 20 years with only GMs. I picked up my 15 6.2 Denali slightly used so searching for it was easier.

Here is what I'm looking for, the prefers are closer to must haves. Order or keep searching? I'm seeing some 2019s getting close to 20k off so that makes this decision even harder. How does everyone search for a specific vehicle? My GM dealer continually sent me vehicles that did not check half the boxes. Also if the Rebel came with crew/6.4 bed this would be a different search.

My truck
Longhorn
6.4" bed
No E torque
No air suspension- GM magneride was gimmicky and expensive to repair
No 22s
No Ram boxes
Prefer no power steps
Prefer 3.91 gears then 3.55
Prefer sunroof
Prefer 33 gal tank
Prefer trailer brake controller - although unlike GM it appears easy to add with the Ram
Must have 12" screen
Max Towing and Off road package. Are they allowed together?

Now that I'm a member here I can dig into the feature guide more.
I used the Ram build and price tool to build the Longhorn I wanted. I then compared the window stickers of Longhorns advertised on local dealers websites to what I had built with the price and build tool. I wasn’t dead set on a particular color, although I had a few preferences. This made shopping a bit easier. One must have for me was the black/saddle interior. Found the Longhorn I now have on a local dealers lot thru their website, and it had virtually everything I wanted and didn’t have things I didn’t want like e-torque and the pano roof. And I got a little over 18% off MSRP. And I love the power steps, as does everyone who rides with me. I can’t remember if they automatically come with a certain package that I wanted.

Happy hunting.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The RAM build feature have a “find the truck” locator function. I didnt use that when I was building one online but I remember they are there.
Your list may have some conflicts, and when you said maybe 3.55 gears thats only the V6, all V6’s have Etorque. Standard. Don’t be afraid of it.
12” screen option may force you into a Laramie.
Tow mirrors don't electronically fold and you lose the 360 camera if that option is selected. Many earlier buyers didn't know that tow mirrors had that problem when ordering.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The RAM build feature have a “find the truck” locator function. I didnt use that when I was building one online but I remember they are there.
Your list may have some conflicts, and when you said maybe 3.55 gears thats only the V6, all V6’s have Etorque. Standard. Don’t be afraid of it.
Tow mirrors don't electronically fold and you lose the 360 camera if that option is selected. Many earlier buyers didn't know that tow mirrors had that problem when ordering.
Well surprisingly I was able to build the exact truck, incl sunroof, 12” (have to get nav), ORG and towing... I didnt think it could be done. Now finding one that is that specifically optioned, good luck.

4TFive

Reaction score
It seems the build it feature allows almost everything and the find my truck never seems to have an exact match and the partial matches allow 5'7" beds. Thanks for the heads up on the tow mirrors....the 360 is a must. It also appears max tow is not allowed on the Longhorn so scratch that.

4TFive

Reaction score
Well surprisingly I was able to build the exact truck, incl sunroof, 12” (have to get nav), ORG and towing... I didnt think it could be done. Now finding one that is that specifically optioned, good luck.
I'm used to it. My GM dealer told me 6.5" beds never came on crew cabs but there is one sitting in my driveway.

4TFive

Reaction score
I used the Ram build and price tool to build the Longhorn I wanted. I then compared the window stickers of Longhorns advertised on local dealers websites to what I had built with the price and build tool. I wasn’t dead set on a particular color, although I had a few preferences. This made shopping a bit easier. One must have for me was the black/saddle interior. Found the Longhorn I now have on a local dealers lot thru their website, and it had virtually everything I wanted and didn’t have things I didn’t want like e-torque and the pano roof. And I got a little over 18% off MSRP. And I love the power steps, as does everyone who rides with me. I can’t remember if they automatically come with a certain package that I wanted.

Happy hunting.
My local dealer has 3 Longhorns but all 5'7 beds so they seem much more aware of them then all the other dealers in VT and NH. My wife wants the power steps but.....the GM and Ford power steps had issues in all our road salt.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did mine on RamTruck and built what I wanted as well .. then took that to the dealer .. they were able to get a couple items I couldn't but also couldn't get a couple items I WANTED (eg eTorque).

Like others have said in reply: build it or keep looking. I only did a build it because of the incentives and because of what they offered me for a trade.

I too am wondering about the power steps after climbing under a dealer vehicle .. I already have a few ideas on how to combat what I saw.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My local dealer has 3 Longhorns but all 5'7 beds so they seem much more aware of them then all the other dealers in VT and NH. My wife wants the power steps but.....the GM and Ford power steps had issues in all our road salt.
No air suspension is wise for up north as I still read about reported issues, and power steps could certainly become an issue as well. I have no idea about the availability of the long bed, as it seems all I see are shortbeds down here. Try Dillon RAM in Idaho, since they are out west they will carry stock that has the 33 gallon, the tow equipment and perhaps the long bed as well.
I would have liked the 360 camera but it was too costly (included in the $3K level 1 limited package only).

Users who are viewing this thread