5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glow Plug Light

paahji

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel. I noticed at low temps, the glow plug light does not come on. No error codes, nothing. it just takes a few extra cranks to start the truck. i am concerned that i may run the battery using command start if the temps are really low.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think there's a glow plug light - this isn't an old turn key ignition system. The truck will attempt to turnover the engine when it thinks the plugs are ready. You will notice it takes longer before it even attempts to crank in cold weather vs warm weather.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's no light..the truck will take a few seconds longer to start..I've remote started mine in -27°C when it's not plugged in. Modern diesels do just fine in the cold.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

paahji

Reaction score
On the instrument cluster, when you switch on the ignition, i was seeing a amber swirly sign come on for a few seconds, depending on the weather. that's the light i am referring to.
its cold where i am in Canada. that light should come on every time i try to start the truck.
That is what i am worried about. if that light is not coming on , does that mean that glow plugs are not working?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there were an issue with the glow plugs I’m sure it would throw a check engine light.

I’ve started my truck down to -36 with and without using the block heater and have not noticed a glow plug light appear nor have I had any cold start issues.

On the Cummins equipped trucks you can get this message in colder temps, I definitely haven’t seen it on my ecodiesel.

Attachments

• IMG_0731.png
    IMG_0731.png
    417.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread