5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghostly Running Boards on 2019 Ram Limited

doublenichols

Reaction score
Every now and then after driving off, I can hear the running boards extend and retract. Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps I have a wrong setting?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are some comments on this forum regarding this, not sure where I saw them. Seems the consensus was if you enter the truck and wait to put into gear they will fold in faster and be fine. If you immediately enter and put into gear and take off before they fold in then they will be delayed folding in and will do so a few seconds after you have started moving. As far as actually extending and retracting after take off I have not heard about that. Please, anyone correct me otherwise.

2019 Ram Customer

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Limited, purchased in September 2018. It has done the deployment and retraction of the running board when driving down the road. Intermittent, but has done it a lot. Probably malfunctions at least once every few days of driving. Always does it when driving off after being parked, locked, and backed out of drive or parking spot. Once it does this it does not repeat until parked again.
I also have the problem noted in another thread (will post there in a moment), where the running board refuses to retract after I have gotten in the truck, until I back out of the drive or parking spot, and have driven a half a block or so.
I have my truck into the dealer today for these problems, along with problem noted on another thread about overly dim instrument cluster lights when headlights are on.
Will probably hear back from dealer in a day or two and will post to let you know what they say.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are some comments on this forum regarding this, not sure where I saw them. Seems the consensus was if you enter the truck and wait to put into gear they will fold in faster and be fine. If you immediately enter and put into gear and take off before they fold in then they will be delayed folding in and will do so a few seconds after you have started moving. As far as actually extending and retracting after take off I have not heard about that. Please, anyone correct me otherwise.
I agree. I've never had them deploy on their own, but I have had them delay in retracting a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/