Getting out of the AZ Heat: Mt. Graham

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Took the Rebel up Mt. Graham (SE AZ) this weekend. ~20 miles of tight switchback paved road followed by ~12 miles of dirt road. Nothing that required 4WD, but still a fun trip. The tight twisties on the paved road made me seriously consider the Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, but I don't want to take away from the off-road articulation.

Lots of dispersed sites, and a few campgrounds if that's your thing. Riggs Lake at the top has about 15 spots at the campground, but lots of dispersed nearby, too, though not as close to the water. Highs in the upper 70s beats 108 in Tucson any day! A skunk came through camp Friday night, but otherwise, no interesting wildlife of note.

If you've got other Southwest Cool Getaways, start new threads in this regional section! Always looking for cool places to camp within driving distance.

IMG_20200718_171746.jpg IMG_20200702_104418.jpg IMG_20200719_095926.jpg

Last edited:

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
That's a really sweet tent rig you've got there
Thanks! Built it a couple years ago. Solar, 125 Ah gel battery, 1100W inverter, kitchen that has a countertop and built-in sink and running water with a 10 gal tank, ARB awning, propane hookups with a stove and a tent heater, 24" scissor lift for the RTT (23Zero and I'd do that brand again in a heartbeat), propane heated shower, and everything you need fits inside (table, chairs, pop-up shade that we never use anymore, portable SoloStove fire pit, shower tent, leveling blocks, area rugs, etc.). I'm really pleased with it. The best part is after I've set up camp I can drive away and go exploring! The only downside is I don't have the spare from the Subaru anymore now that I traded it in for the truck, so I'm either carrying a spare in the truck bed or going without one at all. Oh well. Worth it.

Attachments