5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting into the bed...

tdager

Reaction score
Originally, I was considering the Mopar Bed Step but felt it was WAY too overpriced. Heck, for a couple hundred dollars more, you can buy an aftermarket rear bumper with the steps built in. I had one on my 2015 Ram Sport and worked/looked great.

Anyways, I was Christmas shopping for myself online and found one of these:

View attachment 42373 View attachment 42374 View attachment 42375

It was a no-brainer for $35.88 on Amazon. Probably one of the best "cheap mods" I've done on my 2019 Rebel.

Works well, is easy to install and is very sturdy. I have two undercover swing cases and a Peragon hard bed cover. The tailgate ladder clears both and the support cable for the tailgate.

It's a great alternative to the overpriced Mopar bed step.

Hope this helps!
Ok that is COOL!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone considered adding anything to provide some more traction on the rear bumper "cut out" in front of (or is it behind?) the license plate? I was working in the bed after a rain shower and was concerned I'd slip off of it.

The higher sections of the bumper have some tread on them, but the lower section, where it's most logical to place your foot, has none. (At least on mine.) I thought about putting some adhesive-backed stair tread on there, but I'm worried how it will look in a few years. I'd love it if Mopar made a cover piece for that section with the same tread grip as the rest of the bumper.

Look into a company called Seadek. They make pads for boats and they stand up to all the elements for years.

badassbaldie

Reaction score
Ok that is COOL!
I love mine...use it often and works well every time! Can't go wrong for under $35 shipped.

It looks like you need to drill holes in your tailgate....not too sure about that. It does look cool though.
Honestly, it's only 3-4 very small holes with some sheet metal screws. The Bedliner on my tailgate virtually hides them. A small dab of silicone sealer on the screw head would easily thwart any risks of rusting if that's your concern.

Glamdring

Reaction score
So, here's a look at my setup: Multifunction tailgate, small hitch step, and just added a strip of the stair tread stuff. It's actually much less noticeable during daylight.

Attachments

• 20200112_181524.jpg
    20200112_181524.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 100

Maconi

Reaction score
Someone needs to come up with a pull-out ramp that goes through the tail gate. That would be infinitely more useful than split tailgates, little steps or anything else. It wouldn't be terribly hard to engineer, either.

You mean like this?

ramhead

Reaction score
Originally, I was considering the Mopar Bed Step but felt it was WAY too overpriced. Heck, for a couple hundred dollars more, you can buy an aftermarket rear bumper with the steps built in. I had one on my 2015 Ram Sport and worked/looked great.

Anyways, I was Christmas shopping for myself online and found one of these:

View attachment 42373 View attachment 42374 View attachment 42375

It was a no-brainer for $35.88 on Amazon. Probably one of the best "cheap mods" I've done on my 2019 Rebel.

Works well, is easy to install and is very sturdy. I have two undercover swing cases and a Peragon hard bed cover. The tailgate ladder clears both and the support cable for the tailgate.

It's a great alternative to the overpriced Mopar bed step.

Hope this helps!

That's a great idea at a great price but there are 2 things I don't like about it....1) It requires you to drill 6 holes in your tailgate to attach with the sheet metal screws and 2) some reviews on Amazon point out it can be unbalanced and flex if not on almost completely level ground because one of the ladder feet is touching ground while the other is not - there is a video review on Amazon showing the issue (link below). They should have made it with extendable/leveling feet and then it would be nearly perfect (albeit at a higher cost).

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is probably the ONLY feature that I actually miss from my 2014 Silverado: the bumper side steps.
Have you noticed that the 2019 Silverados have a much larger opening for your foot at the bumper corners? I know of a person that got his foot stuck in that opening when falling backwards and broke his ankle.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029945 miles.

sparky01

Reaction score
I noticed that some of the Chevys I've seen are integrating the exhaust tips into the bumpers like the Rams. Too bad Ram isn't copying the steps on the Chevys

taco40

Reaction score
I always step on the rear tire and come up over the side; that is the way I have always done it with my trucks.
Using the tire is the way I get up at the moment, too, but while that may work well for years and years, one false move and you mess up ligaments, cartilage, bone... the cost of urgent care is much more than the $300 for the step.

Users who are viewing this thread