5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting into camping

Ram_man

Reaction score
Got a 2020 RAM Bighorn 1500, v8 Hemi, 3.21 axle. Would like to buy a camper. My camping will be for short periods of time (4 days). So looking for something in the 20' range. Would like to get some info on equalizer jacks etc., and any other thing that would make travel safe and comfortable. I'm thinking of no more than 500 lbs on trailer hitch. Label on the door says total weight is 1,800 lbs. Any recommendations? Thanks

should_have

Reaction score
Caution about looking at trailers listing 500lbs for the trailer hitch/tong weight. Be leery about advertised Tong/Hitch weight which is the generally the minimum weight.

Example my 21DS (22'4”) Flagstaff Micro Light has a Hitch Weight Listed as 614lb. Recently when I weighted my Rig at the scale, lightly loaded (684 lbs) in my opinion, for me and my wife for a 1 week stay. My Hitch/Tong weight computed to 740lbs. Also, I DO NOT Carry Water in my 52. gal Fresh Water Tank. My camper comes in at 4,841 lbs empty with a maximum Cargo Capacity 1,933 lbs.

A good rule of thumb is take the MAXIMUM Weight the camper can handle times .13% for a maximum expected tong weight to be subtracted from your trucks CCC (1,800lbs as you stated) which gives you how much Capacity you have left for passengers and gear.

So using my numbers, Camper 6,744 lbs (MAX Load) * 0.13% = 881 lb tong weight. Add another 100 lb for weight distribution hitch brings the total to 991 lbs that needs to subtract from your cargo carrying weight, 1,800lbs – 991 lbs = 809lbs. Caution 4 full grown size men could easily weigh 809 lbs

Sorry I didn't answer your question about a equalizer, I'm assuming a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch). Currently I am using a Andersen WDH, which I'm on the fence about recommending.

Attachments

• cat scale.jpg
    cat scale.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 25

Ram_man

Reaction score
Caution about looking at trailers listing 500lbs for the trailer hitch/tong weight. Be leery about advertised Tong/Hitch weight which is the generally the minimum weight.

Example my 21DS (22'4”) Flagstaff Micro Light has a Hitch Weight Listed as 614lb. Recently when I weighted my Rig at the scale, lightly loaded (684 lbs) in my opinion, for me and my wife for a 1 week stay. My Hitch/Tong weight computed to 740lbs. Also, I DO NOT Carry Water in my 52. gal Fresh Water Tank. My camper comes in at 4,841 lbs empty with a maximum Cargo Capacity 1,933 lbs.

A good rule of thumb is take the MAXIMUM Weight the camper can handle times .13% for a maximum expected tong weight to be subtracted from your trucks CCC (1,800lbs as you stated) which gives you how much Capacity you have left for passengers and gear.

So using my numbers, Camper 6,744 lbs (MAX Load) * 0.13% = 881 lb tong weight. Add another 100 lb for weight distribution hitch brings the total to 991 lbs that needs to subtract from your cargo carrying weight, 1,800lbs – 991 lbs = 809lbs. Caution 4 full grown size men could easily weigh 809 lbs

Sorry I didn't answer your question about a equalizer, I'm assuming a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch). Currently I am using a Andersen WDH, which I'm on the fence about recommending.
Thank you. I learned a lot.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got a 2020 RAM Bighorn 1500, v8 Hemi, 3.21 axle. Would like to buy a camper. My camping will be for short periods of time (4 days). So looking for something in the 20' range. Would like to get some info on equalizer jacks etc., and any other thing that would make travel safe and comfortable. I'm thinking of no more than 500 lbs on trailer hitch. Label on the door says total weight is 1,800 lbs. Any recommendations? Thanks
Cool - welcome to the club.

couple notes:
- the number in the trailer model is usually 3 or 4 feet less than the actual legnt. A BH2504 is really 29’ long, a 31DS is really 35’ long etc.
- plan on buying a weight distributing, anti-sway hitch. Best investment in safety you can make. Reducing sway and keeping the truck’s front wheels planted, are important for staying in control. I use a EZ Lift ReCurve R6 with 800-1000# bars, works well.
- find a scale near you (like CAT Scales) and use it to set up your rig
- ditto on tongue weight. Mine 25’ trailer (28’9” end2end)was advertised as 5800 empty/7400 max with just under 600# tongue weight. In reality, it works out to be 6800# ready to roll, and a. 900# tongue weight
- when towing, plan ahead. Braking distances double, gas mileage cut in half, and backing up requires practice.

all that said, I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun!

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reserveamerica.com

Go there and download their app.

Do a search of campgrounds you may like to go to.

You can reserve 11 months out. Select dates you would like to camp...or pick a holiday.

Plenty are already booked up.

I say all this to let you know that a 26 foot trailer is about the avg size for a spot. You start getting into the 30 foot and above range and you may have a hard time getting a spot.
( the OP is looking in the 20' range...that is a great place both for the tow and the stay)

Camping is a great pastime. But it became very popular this past year.

Good luck. Can not wait to hear what you get and how you like the experience.

Last edited:

buffalobill

Reaction score
I don't know where you are located but I have a Husky weight distributing hitch for sale . I'm in Sedona AZ

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool - welcome to the club.

couple notes:
- the number in the trailer model is usually 3 or 4 feet less than the actual legnt. A BH2504 is really 29’ long, a 31DS is really 35’ long etc.
- plan on buying a weight distributing, anti-sway hitch. Best investment in safety you can make. Reducing sway and keeping the truck’s front wheels planted, are important for staying in control. I use a EZ Lift ReCurve R6 with 800-1000# bars, works well.
- find a scale near you (like CAT Scales) and use it to set up your rig
- ditto on tongue weight. Mine 25’ trailer (28’9” end2end)was advertised as 5800 empty/7400 max with just under 600# tongue weight. In reality, it works out to be 6800# ready to roll, and a. 900# tongue weight
- when towing, plan ahead. Braking distances double, gas mileage cut in half, and backing up requires practice.

all that said, I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun!
How has the EAZ Lift Recurve been? I like the idea of the bars on top so you have more ground clearance and setup looks super easy.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Recurve R6 has been very good. Good sway control, very good weight distro, relatively easy hookup and quiet. A couple things to note:
- the WD bars only come in 600-800, 800-1000 and 1000-1200#, and only in one length now. I had to rearrange to make them fit.
- it is heavy (I must be getting old).
- requires some muscle to set up (tightening two bolts w/nuts to 260 ft#) and any time you adjust height.
- the better ground clearance makes the tongue jack the low point. I installed a removable tongue jack, and have lots now...and can open my tailgate!

Overall, a good setup that seems safe. Only had it two years, 6k miles, so time will tell, but definately recommended.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Recurve R6 has been very good. Good sway control, very good weight distro, relatively easy hookup and quiet. A couple things to note:
- the WD bars only come in 600-800, 800-1000 and 1000-1200#, and only in one length now. I had to rearrange to make them fit.
- it is heavy (I must be getting old).
- requires some muscle to set up (tightening two bolts w/nuts to 260 ft#) and any time you adjust height.
- the better ground clearance makes the tongue jack the low point. I installed a removable tongue jack, and have lots now...and can open my tailgate!

Overall, a good setup that seems safe. Only had it two years, 6k miles, so time will tell, but definately recommended.
Thanks for the mini review. 6k miles in, sounds like you have put it to the test.

Users who are viewing this thread