5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting closer to the final stage - Green Machine!

socalnonsage

Reaction score
Spent this weekend in my garage upgrading my Olive Green 2020 Ram BigHorn 4x4 with 5.7L eTorque

Saturday -I installed a 3.5" Rough Country kit (upper control arms/N3 Lifted Struts and rear spring spacers/shocks). The install was fairly straightforward with one exception; during the install of the upper control arms, I attempted to use the stock control arm spindle nuts instead of the new nuts from the kit. The instructions that RC provides were fairly ambiguous and in many places indicated to use existing/takeoff hardware but didn't with these spindle nuts and to add to that the new spindle nuts were not on the new control arms/ in the sam box (but in a seperate parts box in a bag). On one arm, I managed to strip about an 1/8" of the spindle threads trying to install the old nut but I stopped when i started to realize there was a problem. I was able to repair the threads with a tap/die set. No integrity lost because the damage was just at the beginning 1/8" of the threads, not where the final placement in where the nut is torqued. FYI, the stock spindle nuts were M14 at 1.5 and the new spindle nuts are M14 at 2.0. All in all, it took about 4 hours with some basic hand tools and some heavy-duty jack/stands (including the repair).

Sunday - Wheels/Tires upgraded to Ram TRX 18" takeoffs with 325x 65/18 Goodyear Wrangler Territory ATs. These wheels/tires required a 1.5" wheel spacer to keep the tire from touching the upper control arm (about .5" clearance on full travel). TPMS sensors moved from stockers to the new wheels, then balanced and mounted and then finally front alignment correction.

On the way to work this morning, I quickly realized I need to adjust my headlights so they're not pointed into the rearview mirror or cars ahead.

Next weekend - AMP Research power steps (plug and play).... Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 20220117_160936.jpg
    20220117_160936.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 20220117_162835.jpg
    20220117_162835.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 259

spyder

Reaction score
I feel like I have seen photos of this truck before... 👻

socalnonsage

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good vibes!

Another update to the Green Machine this weekend, mainly for the wife since she's not as tall as me.

Installation of AMP Research power steps. Installation took about 2 hours and couldn't have been easier. Truly plug-and-play. Mounting bolts on the undercarrage were already there and directions were easy to understand and follow. The only difficult" part was getting my big hands down by the firewall to push the (in cab) wiring through the factory rubber grommet. Used a long flat screwdriver and taped the wires to the end to punch them through to the cabin and then easy-peasy, connect to the supplied harness and then plug in to factory ports.

Couldn't be happier how these turned out and now the wife is happy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 113

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just love this olive green color! It was my first choice, but they only put it on the power wagon now. I settled for patroit blue which i also love but that green is mean! If i ever hit the lottery i will get mine stripped to the frame and repainted! Great look truck bro

socalnonsage

Reaction score
Some past weekend shots in the cold and windy SoCal high desert out near Calico (ghost town). Really loving this new 3.5" suspension and 18/35" wheel/tire setup for ground clearance :)

Attachments

• desert1.jpg
    desert1.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 63
  • desert3.jpg
    desert3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 63
  • desert2.jpg
    desert2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 64
  • desert6.jpg
    desert6.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 65

socalnonsage

Reaction score
A few picks from the weekend after cleaning mine and the missus vehicles.... I figure that we're offsetting carbon footprints between my Ram with the electric Huyandi.

Attachments

• cars1 - Copy.jpg
    cars1 - Copy.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 45
  • cars2 - Copy.jpg
    cars2 - Copy.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 44
  • cars3 - Copy.jpg
    cars3 - Copy.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 45
  • cars4 - Copy.jpg
    cars4 - Copy.jpg