5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get tow mirrors or not on new truck?

Ray_

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of configuring a Laramie to order and I am having trouble deciding on tow mirrors or not. I currently have a travel trailer with a 19' box and 22' total length by 8' wide. Does anyone have any experience or care to comment on towing this size trailer or similar with the regular mirrors? We only use it 3 to 4 times a year and would be my daily driver.

Regards,
Ray

du4life25

Reaction score
I was on the fence as well about ordering the manual fold tow mirrors on my Bighorn for pulling my camper. I just couldn't justify spending the extra money on the mirrors for as little as I pull our camper. If I really do miss the mirrors, I'll buy the mirrors and the mods at a later date and have the dealership program them. At least then I'll have all of the wiring and switches for power folding.

Ray_

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I test drove one with the tow mirrors and found the passenger side view awkward.

RJS

Reaction score
Which ever you chose, be sure they are power folding not manual. Well worth the money.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Yes, be sure to get power mirrors, I couldn't get in my garage without them. OK I could but I would have to manually fold them.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I appreciate the input. I test drove one with the tow mirrors and found the passenger side view awkward.
It took a bit of fussing, but I got mine adjusted so they work right. The outer mirror is adjustable, but manually, and its stiff.

That being said, the tow mirrors are just too wide for daily driving. I wouldn't do it again.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I towed for 8k miles with tow mirrors on my 15 and thought they were fine although when I was backing into a spot I would usually put them back to the normal position.

On my 20 I wanted surround camera so the tow mirrors were out, I've only got 2500 miles on the truck but 1k of that is towing and I find the normal mirrors plenty adequate,

I really like the surround camera and will always get that feature from now on and with the blind spot indicator, another feature that I won't do without again, and it's ability to adjust for your trailer length, I am much more confident towing and changing lanes than I ever was with the tow mirrors.

If you can afford it, it is all about the safety options and not how pretty the wheels are as those options will greatly enhance your driving safety and comfort.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With an 8' wide trailer you will need tow mirrors. Whether they are OEM or aftermarket you will need something to be able to see behind you.

If you are configuring a 2021 then there is an option to have the tow mirrors power folding. That's the way I would go but I'm not sure what options/packages you have to get for that to be available.

I have had OEM tow mirrors on my trucks for 15+ years and wouldn't have it any other way. Pull out/push in or flip up/flip down is much easier than having to go into the garage, clean off the aftermarket ones, install them, adjust them (manually), use them, disconnect them, then store them. I did that for 6 years with my first truck...never again.

I also like the larger mirror and that objects are not closer than they appear in the passenger side. ;)

I do not regret my decision to go with the tow package (with mirrors) for my 2019 even though they are not heated and are manual folding.

Just my .02

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't have these so I can't say how well they work, but you might consider them.

View attachment 71816

I have these and they work great. For the amount of time I pull a trailer, I didn't want to buy the factory tow mirrors and lose features. These K Source just snap on and off and come with a little carry bag which you can stuff in your trailer.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't tow anything wider than a small boat, and I use the power folding option all the time. So it was a no-brainer for me not to get tow mirrors. If I have to tow anything wide enough to need tow mirrors, I'll just pick up a set of mirror extenders like some people have already mentioned. Even with the option for power folding tow mirrors for 2021 I wouldn't get them. I had tow mirrors on my first Ram pickup and I hated them. I never did really get used to them.

du4life25

Reaction score
I love the power folding tow mirrors on my '15 1500 Bighorn. The '21 Bighorns don't have the power folding as an option. You would have to bump up to a Laramie I believe. That's why I passed on the tow mirrors this time. I can't see spending another $3000 to get into the Laramie for the power fold tow mirrors.

Ray_

Reaction score
This is all great information. It's good to have user experience and tips available.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm also coming from an old Ford F-250 diesel. I had that thing for 11+ years and they were manual folding and not heated so it wasn't as much of a loss for me since I didn't have those to start with.

If my previous truck did have it then I would be more frustrated (like most) about the lack of those features on the DT.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I tow a travel trailer about the same exact size as yours. I have the regular mirrors and they are wide enough to see fine. Tow mirrors would be nice to see around the trailer better but they messed with my head on the test drive and i also would not be able to fit in the garage with them. 2021 i guess you can get power folding though.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The standard mirrors do have a good reach, they extend out much further then Ford or GM standard mirrors which are smaller and mounted much closer to the body.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
I tow a 24 foot long trailer (22’ box). The tow mirrors work great when towing. When in regular mode, the passenger side has a horrible blind spot. I now leave them up all the time, the optics of the mirror are made to work that way. Much better Visibility.

Users who are viewing this thread