5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General maintenance along with oil change

Cupped_up

Reaction score
21’ bighorn with 23K miles on it. I haven’t taken it to a dealer for any services, as I change the oil/filter myself every 7500-8000 miles using PUP and stock oil filter replacement. I also check the cabin filter and have replaced it once. I also rotate tires around every oil change.

I have NOT done anything with the air filter since owning, which brings me here.

Do you prefer to replace the air filter or clean it and reuse it? How often do you replace/clean? Obviously this changes with severe buildup but in general….every oil change? Every other?

Is there anything else I should be cleaning/replacing/maintaining during my oil changes that you recommend or I have been oblivious to and have been neglecting?

At 23K miles, should there be any maintanence I should have already done and/or am coming up to?

This is my first vehicle I’m attempting to learn about and service as much as I can myself without taking to dealer/oil change business etc.

I know there’s a service section in the manual but I am currently away from my truck for a few and wanted to get a quick answer here.

Thank you.

Cupped_up

Reaction score
Edit….just looked up the manual online and it seems I’ve covered everything in the 20,000 and 30,000 mile maintanence checks/servicing
-oil change / oil filter
-cabin filter
-tire rotation
-will do air filter asap (replace or clean?)

Is there anything further you do to your trucks at 20/30K miles or anything else you recommend to service? And is it capable to do yourself or is dealer recommended for it? I don’t have any heavy tools/jacks etc so keep this in mind.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you have replaced it with a washable K&N filter, there is no "cleaning" of your air filter.

Cupped_up

Reaction score
Unless you have replaced it with a washable K&N filter, there is no "cleaning" of your air filter.
Would you recommend replacing with stock air filter or a different brand (K&N or other?)

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There isn’t a certain amount of miles or time for an air filter. All depends on your driving conditions. Inspect it periodically and change when needed. Pretty obvious by looking when it’s time.

I ran a K&N for many years in all my trucks. Never had an issue. Just washed and oiled twice a year driving 25,000 miles. Currently running the RamAirflow CAI with a washable filter. Just checked it again and at 18,000 miles still looks good. Probably wash it this spring anyway.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There isn’t a certain amount of miles or time for an air filter. All depends on your driving conditions. Inspect it periodically and change when needed. Pretty obvious by looking when it’s time.

I ran a K&N for many years in all my trucks. Never had an issue. Just washed and oiled twice a year driving 25,000 miles. Currently running the RamAirflow CAI with a washable filter. Just checked it again and at 18,000 miles still looks good. Probably wash it this spring anyway.
I have about 20k mike on my Vararam and have t washes it yet. Doesn't look too bad and I drive in gravel roads from time to time

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
You couldn’t give me a K+N (or washable)for my truck. It’s a TERIBLE stock replacement. Look at the filtering results at 13:50 into the video. I have used Wix for many years and switched to Purolator when Wix moved production to China several years ago.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You couldn’t give me a K+N (or washable)for my truck. It’s a TERIBLE stock replacement. Look at the filtering results at 13:50 into the video. I have used Wix for many years and switched to Purolator when Wix moved production to China several years ago.

Dumping flour on a filter isn't exactly scientific or realistic. And those using K&N understand you lose some filtering for the increased flow. Don't need particle counters to tell you that. People have been running K&N filters for longer than some brands have been around. Can't say I have ever heard of an engine being destroyed from using a K&N air filter

Dewey

Reaction score

I’ve probably got darn near a million miles on various trucks and cars over the last three decades using strictly K&N filters. Never had any issues and never once had a vehicle in the shop for any mechanical issues. It’s all about common sense. Proper washing and oiling is the key. Too many people believe YouTube “experts”. Do your own research.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score

Even K&N says ultimum filtering doesn't happen until it actually gets some dust in it. That's why it gets oiled, to attract the dust, and improve filtration.

Users who are viewing this thread