5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen3 Coolant

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a leftover gallon of coolant the dealership sold me for my Jeep's Gen2 EcoDiesel. Is it appropriate for my Ram's Gen3 EcoDiesel?

The part # is MS-12106.

I checked the manual and it only said "We recommend you use Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile (240,000 km) Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology)."

EDIT: This gallon does reference "Organic Additive Technology" in the description on the back.

Last edited:

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I have a leftover gallon of coolant the dealership sold me for my Jeep's Gen2 EcoDiesel. Is it appropriate for my Ram's Gen3 EcoDiesel?

The part # is MS-12106.

I checked the manual and it only said "We recommend you use Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile (240,000 km) Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology)."

Curious to hear other thoughts.

IMO coolants, windshield washer fluid, brake fluid etc - any reputable brand would do.

Engine oil/ oil filter, fuel filter I stick to Mopar. Probably will do brakes/rotors stock when time comes.

Air filters, brakes, rotors, tires - etc can be replaced with aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Curious to hear other thoughts.

IMO coolants, windshield washer fluid, brake fluid etc - any reputable brand would do.

Engine oil/ oil filter, fuel filter I stick to Mopar. Probably will do brakes/rotors stock when time comes.

Air filters, brakes, rotors, tires - etc can be replaced with aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do not mix coolants. Unfortunately the link in the thread is no longer viable. But mixing coolants can cause very serious issues.

Jako

Reaction score

The part # is MS-12106.

I checked the manual and it only said "We recommend you use Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile (240,000 km) Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology)."

EDIT: This gallon does reference "Organic Additive Technology" in the description on the back.
See post #3.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the coolant cap tells you what kind you need. If memory serves correct that is the correct coolant. Its purple

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
MS-9769 (HOAT) coolant is what your engine calls for. Your MS-12106 is an OAT coolant, and is not compatible with HOAT coolants.

However, Dexcool is compatible with both OAT and HOAT. So if you’re looking to save some cash, then you can use Dexcool. Either way, don’t mix the MS-12106 in with the MS-9769.

Jako

Reaction score
MS-9769 (HOAT) coolant is what your engine calls for. Your MS-12106 is an OAT coolant, and is not compatible with HOAT coolants.

However, Dexcool is compatible with both OAT and HOAT. So if you’re looking to save some cash, then you can use Dexcool. Either way, don’t mix the MS-12106 in with the MS-9769.
Must be a change between a 2019 and the 2021. Been to the dealer and they gave me MS-12106. There was a video in post #3 on mixing coolants (Oat and Hoat) but the link is no longer viable, very bad to mix. Refer to link in post #3 for my experience with anti freeze maintenance.

Jako

Reaction score
I believe the coolant cap tells you what kind you need. If memory serves correct that is the correct coolant. Its purple

No info on my coolant cap or related area, my research is that he has the correct coolant.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked mine.
154400af7add880c0a4df4e00d17619b.jpg

Jako

Reaction score
Just checked mine.
154400af7add880c0a4df4e00d17619b.jpg

Wish I had that on my Ram. Took me a while to figure what coolant I was to use. Details are in my anti freeze maintenance post.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's weird that my 2020 Ecodiesel has it but yours doesn't.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Must be a change between a 2019 and the 2021. Been to the dealer and they gave me MS-12106. There was a video in post #3 on mixing coolants (Oat and Hoat) but the link is no longer viable, very bad to mix. Refer to link in post #3 for my experience with anti freeze maintenance.
There must be some misinformation then. I looked it up for 2021 before posting and got the 9769, but I’d trust looking in the engine bay over anything.

Jako

Reaction score
There must be some misinformation then. I looked it up for 2021 before posting and got the 9769, but I’d trust looking in the engine bay over anything.
I had a hard time figuring what Ram wanted based on the info in the owner's manual. By design by Ram???????????????

Jako

Reaction score
It's weird that my 2020 Ecodiesel has it but yours doesn't.

Anybody out there with a 2019 that has the anti freeze label?
Or
Who has a label and who doesn't?
The label sure makes things easy vs my 2019 owner's manual.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a hard time figuring what Ram wanted based on the info in the owner's manual. By design by Ram???????????????
I’m not sure what you’re asking, but I looked in the mitchell1 prodemand database.

Jako

Reaction score
I’m not sure what you’re asking, but I looked in the mitchell1 prodemand database.

FROM THE 2019 OWNER'S MANUAL:
"Maintain engine coolant (antifreeze) concentration at a minimum of 50% OAT coolant (conforming to MS.90032) and distilled water for proper corrosion protection of your engine which contains aluminum components."
From what I can recall finding an OAT coolant conforming to MS.90032 was a bit of a challenge at the time. There was/is not much information on the MS.09932 and I wanted to make sure I had the correct specs. I also had a hard time finding the Mopar OEM oil filter number. The Ram's owner's manual did not make it easy to do self service. Was it by design (go to dealer for service) or just lack of detail on their part?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FROM THE 2019 OWNER'S MANUAL:
"Maintain engine coolant (antifreeze) concentration at a minimum of 50% OAT coolant (conforming to MS.90032) and distilled water for proper corrosion protection of your engine which contains aluminum components."
From what I can recall finding an OAT coolant conforming to MS.90032 was a bit of a challenge at the time. There was/is not much information on the MS.09932 and I wanted to make sure I had the correct specs. I also had a hard time finding the Mopar OEM oil filter number. The Ram's owner's manual did not make it easy to do self service. Was it by design (go to dealer for service) or just lack of detail on their part?
I’m just speculating, but part numbers are superseded by others all the time. By having vague language like that, the statement you mentioned in the owners manual can hold true in 20 years just like it holds true today.

Jako

Reaction score
I’m just speculating, but part numbers are superseded by others all the time. By having vague language like that, the statement you mentioned in the owners manual can hold true in 20 years just like it holds true today.
That's very true today. It seems the product could get a new number based on a change of manufacturer but usually you can make a connection with "superseded by", related search, forums and such.
I believe this is the only one I could find that met the owner's manual specs:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's very true today. It seems the product could get a new number based on a change of manufacturer but usually you can make a connection with "superseded by", related search, forums and such.
I believe this is the only one I could find that met the owner's manual specs:

I just realized that your manual actually did put the part number of the coolant concentrate in it. So I guess my theory was wrong.

Prestone dexcool in their specs says they meet both OAT and HOAT. Here’s the version I’m talking about:

Prestone Dex-cool

Jako

Reaction score
I just realized that your manual actually did put the part number of the coolant concentrate in it. So I guess my theory was wrong.

Prestone dexcool in their specs says they meet both OAT and HOAT. Here’s the version I’m talking about:

Prestone Dex-cool
From the manual
"The engine cooling system must be protected with a high-quality antifreeze coolant to provide proper corrosion protection and to protect against engine overheating. OAT coolant (conforming to MS.90032) is recommended."
Finding the MS.90032 was difficult.

That link to Auto Zone comes up as "fits your vehicle" for my 2019 Ram. Bad info on Auto Zone's part. That is HOAT which would cause problems if mixed with OAT.

Users who are viewing this thread