5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen 5 A/S Holding up...

A4Owner

Reaction score
Any '19 or '20 Ontario or Northern USA LTD owners still feeling good about their air suspensions? Supposedly they were upgraded in Gen 5 to handle cold weather better. Any truth to that?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Ecodiesel Limited with 122,000km in Ontario. Zero issues with the air suspension and have been in temps as low as -30°C.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

A4Owner

Reaction score
2020 Ecodiesel Limited with 122,000km in Ontario. Zero issues with the air suspension and have been in temps as low as -30°C.

NICE. That sounds pretty good. Do you leave it in entry exit mode at night or not fuss around much with the heigh?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
NICE. That sounds pretty good. Do you leave it in entry exit mode at night or not fuss around much with the heigh?
I just leave it..I don't use entry and exit mode much. A few times in extreme cold it's lowered down a little but then when I start it, it will go back to normal height.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Any use of that air line de-icing fluid the big rigs use or no?

A4Owner

Reaction score
Oh yeah one more question should I get these things rust proofed? I drove Audi for a long time and never got them rust proofed.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The 4th gen was open and pulled in moisture hence the freezing. The 5th gen air ride is sealed and filled with Nitrogen. Nothing that would freeze or cause oxidation.

6of36

Reaction score
My dealer said they do still get them breaking, but probably a lot less on gen 5s. They said when they do go, the shocks are $2,500 each. I'm buying an extended warranty, that covers the whole truck, for the cost of one bad shock.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Do the LTDs with a/s ride better than the Longhorns with a/s or the Longhorns with coils? I heard Longhorns with coils ride nice...

Reverse

Reaction score
I love the air ride on my Limited, and the ability to raise the truck when on unpaved roads or off-road. Having said that, the Limiteds are so expensive now that I would not buy one again. I did drive a non-air Big Horn as a loaner vehicle for a few days and it was fine as well. IMO, only spend the extra money if you want/need to raise or lower truck regularly.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do the LTDs with a/s ride better than the Longhorns with a/s or the Longhorns with coils? I heard Longhorns with coils ride nice...
They’re exactly the same (Limited or Longhorn with A/S). I have both A/S and the Off-Road Group, so they kind of balance each other.

The non-A/S trucks ride nicely, too. A/S just offers other advantages.

6of36

Reaction score
They’re exactly the same (Limited or Longhorn with A/S). I have both A/S and the Off-Road Group, so they kind of balance each other.

The suspension is the same with the off road group, with AS as the non off road group, with AS. You just lose 1 height, because normal on ORG, is same height as OR1 on a non ORG. Aero is the same height on both, and OR2 on a standard air suspension, is the same height, as off road, on the ORG truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Well a Limited only comes with air suspension. You can get coils on a Longhorn, but yeah both AS are the same when equipped.
Off-road group just reduces 1 level of adjustment with AS.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well a Limited only comes with air suspension. You can get coils on a Longhorn, but yeah both AS are the same when equipped.
Off-road group just reduces 1 level of adjustment with AS.
Yep. And yes, a Limited or Longhorn with A/S and ORG effectively rides in OR1 as its Normal, so there’s only one OR mode available. This is exactly the same as a Rebel with A/S. We had a long discussion on this in the early days of this forum, as the owner’s manual did not accurately describe this.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep. And yes, a Limited or Longhorn with A/S and ORG effectively rides in OR1 as its Normal, so there’s only one OR mode available. This is exactly the same as a Rebel with A/S. We had a long discussion on this in the early days of this forum, as the owner’s manual did not accurately describe this.
Correct but also keep in mind the front end is aligned for the new "normal" which is the same as your "effectively OR1"

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct but also keep in mind the front end is aligned for the new "normal" which is the same as your "effectively OR1"
Sure. And the air springs have 4” of travel, regardless of other options. So on ORG trucks and Rebels, they’re just programmed to sit 1” higher in “Normal” than non-ORG/non-Rebels.

6of36

Reaction score
Precisely. That's why you can drive them top speed at normal, until it drops to aero, but if you raise a Limited to OR1, which is the same height as ORG or Rebel, when the truck hits 45, the suspension drops down to normal automatically.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I've have 2, in Northern US climates. Laramie and Limited with air susp., both ORG. It is one of the major reasons I bought my first Ram's ever (after 10 GM's) because all trucks have been growing in bed load height, and I've struggled more and more loading dirbikes. Now it is easier, relative.
The only problem I had was on on my 21 Limited. at about 25K miles the air pump would stay on when starting it in the morning. them sometimes it would 'blow off' like you hear a big rig do, but much quieter. Dealer fixed it easy, said it just needed a re-charge. Assuming this was re-charging the closed nitrogen system? I don't remember there being mention of a leak. But it's been good for a while.
I love the air susp. and it's versatility.

Users who are viewing this thread