5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen 4 Bed Cover on your Gen 5?

Bellpa

Reaction score
Has anyone installed their previous bed cover on their 2019? Are the bed dimensions the same?

03pghvfr

Reaction score
Truxport I believe, the tailgate won’t open with the fob but I’m not sure it would anyway with a cover.

Bellpa

Reaction score
There's a Bakflip Fibermax from a 2016 for sale locally but after I called Bakflip they told me it would not fit a 2019. Different model #s also.

MacDuff

Reaction score
I put on my backflip mx4 from my 13 on my 19!.fit fine.
This is great news, I have a 2016 with a Bakflip mx4 6'4 inch bed and I was thinking I'd have to order a new cover.
Any problems at all with installation or operation? Maybe auto tailgate not working?

Bellpa

Reaction score
There must be some minute change for them to change part numbers then. Now I'm on the fence about buying the Fibermax for $400 and trying it vs new.

03pghvfr

Reaction score
Does the auto tailgate work for anyone who purchased a cover for a 19? Besides that, as long as the cover completely covers the area I don’t see the reason to purchase a new cover because they changed part #s..

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am putting the hard folding fabric covered Mopar tonneau cover designed for the RamBox 2018 model on my 2019 at my dealer tomorrow.. Measurement seems the same and the GM has one on his 2019 with no issues. Hoping it works out for me as well. I had this on my 2015 and really liked it.

Here is the link for a picture..

https://moparonlineparts.com/1500-tonneau-cover-rambox-p-7572.html

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Retrax one is for the 4th gen and fits perfectly.

EDIT: Found out they shipped an early version for 5th gen to my installer (part number 60243).

Last edited:

cjfioren

Reaction score
Extang trifold from my 2014 6'4" bed sport fit perfectly on my 2019 6'4" Laramie. Tailgate auto release works perfect.

RBRK

Reaction score
I had no problems with the install. The tailgate works fine with power release or manual. I can’t compare to the proper part number for the 19’. But the $1000 bucks I saved made me happy.

I’ve had a few (4) backflips. The original shiny metal one dented in the hail, the second one got bent because I forgot to bungee it down and it hit my mountain bike handlebar, the third was a fiberglass one that I thought would be great but after a year the finish went to crap, you could see the white strands coming through the black. The fourth was the MX4, which is by far the best of any in appearance and durability. I got the fiberglass one warrantied and paid the difference for the MX4.

I wouldn’t buy the fibermax because I think it’s the same as the one I had previously. If you have a old gen already, put it on, if you need a new one buy a MX4 for the 19’. My rails are off of my 11’ and have been on three trucks now, just the center section has been replaced.

I shouldn’t even recommend them because I’ve had issues, but they look nice and are a great functional cover. I don’t like retracts and fiberglass lids take the look away from the truck and can’t be removed easy.

Last edited:

BMXDAD

Reaction score
I pulled mine off at the dealership and put it on the new truck, it’s a soft tri fold. 2015 to the 19.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Bakflip Fibermax on my 13. It would have got on the 2019, but not as well as I would have liked so I sold it the rails were about a half inch short on each side. I could have made it work, but the seal wouldn't have been the best and a lot more water would have made it's way into the bed.

RBRK

Reaction score
I have no issues with water on mine with the old rails. I agree they might be slightly too short but they do work if you already have one it’s worth putting it on.

ET32913

Reaction score
My 4th gen Line-X trifold fits fine on my 5th gen short bed. It’s essentially a bakflip but has a LIFETIME warranty. Before I installed it on the new truck, my local Line-X dealer ordered new installation hardware (front bed seal, clamps, drain tubes) on request. So far so good! 98B4A5A1-6C63-4A5D-A3C0-7D9926E6C724.jpeg B14D913F-2C36-470C-BBDF-B78654A58A35.jpeg

gybob

Reaction score
I moved the Bakflip Revolver X4 from my old 17 Limited to the new 19 Limited. Perfect fit. Almost. Under the side rails, there are some spacers that the Bakfip instructions told me to remove to install on the 17. Fortunately I saved them. They had to be reinstalled in order for the angle of the side rails to be correct on the new truck. After reinstalling the spacers, the cover is a perfect fit. Recently tested for rain protection during hurricane Michael.

JCK_25

Reaction score
3.5 years later check-in to see how this has held up? Googled the topic as there's a 09-18 cover available for a 5'7" Ram but I have the 5th Gen 2019. Any long-term issues keeping the MX4 from holding up?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread